X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
    No Shit, Sherlock.
    Ah, it speaks....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
      I'm new to this forum so go easy on me lads haha

I hope this does actually happen and while I do agree that medals should be earned, but this is clearly a special case so why not mass issue this medal??, It didn't do the GardaĆ­ any harm after all!!

I don't see why the RDF shouldn't be issued this medal also (The FCA stand down medal in 2005 didn't cause much of a fuss and can be seen as a precedent for this situation), one way it could be issued is that an eligibility requirement should be at least 2 years prior service for this medal or something like that??,

The problem In my opinion is that The Defense Forces as a whole lacks a dedicated system for awarding medals, all there is really is the MMG, Service medals and Overseas Tour Medals. The Defense Forces would benefit greatly if they introduced for example their own version of the Purple Heart and say award the MMG for lesser acts of Valor and create (along with a whole range of new medals) a purpose made highest military honor (equivalent to the U.S Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross) that all members are eligible for and can strive to achieve.
      Welcome Socrates... on the two highlighted points above...

• The FCA Stand Down medal never happened, although the idea was floated

• Also the DSM...
      Last edited by Truck Driver; 4 May 2012, 03:34.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Oh, my mistake lads, sorry about that.
        "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
          Probably ironic in the fact that the Irish Volunteers were a part-time force who suffered from equipment shortages, lack of uniforms. The Irish Volunteers and sucessors fought a full time force and didn't become full time itself until 1921.
          Even more ironic that many of them (I.V.F.) marched off to join the British Army and fight in WW1.

Connaught Stranger

Comment

Anybody hear any new developments on this since this thread was started??
            "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

i havint but will put out the feelers in work

Comment

The history of medal issues for the P.D.F. Other Ranks is dismal, remember the "The Good Conduct Medal" aka "The Hangman's Medal." debacle.

Comment

Originally posted by goc132 View Post
                  In relation to the topic in this section most countries record silver,golden,diamond Jubilee medals as did the Garda in this country in 1972 (Jubilee Medal) and in 2000 (Millennium Medal)
                  I can count the number of GardaĆ­ I've seen wear either medal on the fingers of one hand. I don't see much point in issuing a medal that's going to end up in a drawer somewhere.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

probably because in ireland the wearing of medals is not something that is commonly done / recognised by most people. there seems to be a cultural mentality (outside of the DF at least) of not really showing things like this off maybe?
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      probably because in ireland the wearing of medals is not something that is commonly done / recognised by most people. there seems to be a cultural mentality (outside of the DF at least) of not really showing things like this off maybe?
                      Then the only way to change it, is to start issuing some more medals, insignia, push the wearing of ribbon bars by not only the military but Police etc..etc.

The issuing of new medals has always been on left on the back burner, particularly by the bean-counters in the DoD or Department of Finance. they seem to run on the "well they got along fine without them before now" mentality.

My own gripe is the lack of any commemorative medal for those who put years in on the border, but being an old 28th Bn hand maybe I am biased.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

there does seem to be a perception alright that DF Command or DoD are unwilling or scared to issue medals, any word on this one??

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                          My own gripe is the lack of any commemorative medal for those who put years in on the border, but being an old 28th Bn hand maybe I am biased.

Connaught Stranger.
                          If you don't mind me getting involved here; we do not get medals for domestic ops either. I know there are historical precedents, like the North-West rebellion and the Fenian raids, but it has not been done in a very long time, including the Oka Crisis.
                          "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
                            there does seem to be a perception alright that DF Command or DoD are unwilling or scared to issue medals, any word on this one??
                            Not so much scared or unwilling, they just don't really give a bollocks.

It's ok though, instead, they focus on other important stuff like making sure all our uniform is plastered in "Defence Forces Ireland" or new Arms Drill.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                              There's no issue with GardaĆ­ wearing medals for overseas service, including those earned with the PDF, or the Scott medal. I've seen members of the DFB wear UN medals too.
                              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

But the opposite side of the coin is the criticism of the US Army for their issuing of medals for just about anything. They caused major controversy in Grenada when everyone and their auntie got medals galore, even combat medals. The sheer volume of Purple Hearts issued for a "Police Action" was scary.

It does mean that each and every Irish medal earned is earned.

Comment

Working...
                                X