New medal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not a makey up medal

its a medal issued to commenerate an important part of our National and Military history- therefore wear it with pride.

I think the RDF should also get it in that they have volunteered to serve as well.

There has to be a cut off point and I dont think the likes of exers like me should receive it- it will cost me a forturne to remount my medals
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Lots op people think the US forces get too many medals and I suppose there are some that could be one with out but in the Irish Defence Forces they are slow to issue medals.

The UK Forces have an "Accumulative Service Medal" which is issued after 18 months over seas afaik and its in Sterling Silver.
      The Good Conduct Medal should be re introduced but with a proper criteria and on issue to all members of the DF when they retire with a Clean record either RDF/PDF.

Comment

this is a big thing with the PDF Cadre, jaysus our lad is a savage soldier he has this course, that course, he topped this and that.........it's his ****ing job! whilst i do respect them thats what they signed to do.

christ it's only a medal.

Comment

A pay/pension rise might be a better way of displaying appreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
            A pay/pension rise might be a better way of displaying appreciation.
            Two chances of that! No hope and Bob Hope...Bob hope is dead.
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Comment

True that!haha, or how they insist that the most ridiclious things are in Irish DPM, I like the american system for awarding medals, especially the Purple Heart, the medal rack is something to take pride in, it should be the case here aswell.
                "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

From the RDFRA Facebook page:

" RDFRA has been informed that it's submission to have all serving members of the Reserve Defence Forces issued with this medal on the centenary of the anniversary has been accepted. More information will be posted as soon as it is known."

Looks like it's for real.
                  "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
                    From the RDFRA Facebook page:

" RDFRA has been informed that it's submission to have all serving members of the Reserve Defence Forces issued with this medal on the centenary of the anniversary has been accepted. More information will be posted as soon as it is known."

Looks like it's for real.

This is from Alan Shatter in April. Sorry if it has been posted before.

The medal remains a proposal at this time it appears. RDFRA seem to be indicating that the RDF are included in the proposal.

Comment

Well he is using phrases like "all serving members of the defence forces" that usually means they will include the RDF in the proposal (though I would note that he hasn't made a decision yet)

Comment

Medals ,, not now of all times ,, wait until there is a bit of a war or mission or something .. hand out St Christopher medals , more use if u believe in taht sort of thing ..

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                          Medals ,, not now of all times ,, wait until there is a bit of a war or mission or something .. hand out St Christopher medals , more use if u believe in taht sort of thing ..
                          Give the trolling a rest will ya?
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Well done on the medal, I heard that the RDF will also get it, i must buy shares in the company that makes the two ribbon holders
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

There are anniversaries in all countries that award medals to record history not just in books.

Comment

According to the RDFRA reservists will be getting it. From a collectors Facebook page

" I've heard the lads talking about it & they have also seen the medal design but most are not happy with the bar & the way in which it is going to be mounted. I have not seen it yet myself."

Comment

Working...
                                X