London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats

(I know there have been a few Olympic threads, but as they ended in teddy bears being thrown I thought I'd put this in a new thread, rather than restarting dead arguments)
    Plans to put surface-to-air missiles on residential flats during the Olympics being considered by the MoD come to light in leaflets sent to residents on one estate.

London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats
    The Ministry of Defence is considering placing surface-to-air missiles on residential flats during the Olympics.

An east London estate, where 700 people live, has received leaflets saying a "Higher Velocity Missile system" could be placed on a water tower.

A spokesman said the MoD had not yet decided whether to deploy ground based air defence systems during the event.

But estate resident Brian Whelan said firing the missiles "would shower debris across the east end of London".

The journalist said: "At first I thought it was a hoax. I can't see what purpose high-velocity missiles could serve over a crowded area like Tower Hamlets.

"They say they'll only use them as a last resort, but... you'd shower debris across the east end of London by firing these missiles."

Mr Whelan, who claims to have seen soldiers carrying a crate into the building, said his property management company put up posters and gave out the leaflets on Saturday.

He continued: "They are going to have a test run next week, putting high velocity missiles on the roof just above our apartment and on the back of it they're stationing police and military in the tower of the building for two months.

"It [the leaflet] says there will be 10 officers plus police present 24/7."

Resident Brian Whelan: "It creates a lot of fear. It's a massive inconvenience"

Rushana Ali, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said: "It looks like it's been imposed without proper consultation.

"I will be asking the government to explain why. The MoD does need to look at this again."

The leaflet states that members of the Armed Forces will be at the location for a military exercise between 2 and 7 May.

It goes on to say there will be a "major national exercise" from 2 to 10 May to test the Armed Forces' capabilities for providing security during the Olympics.

The document added that if the government decides to use the missiles during the Games, the soldiers could be "operationally deployed for a period of up to two months this summer".

The weapon being considered is a High Velocity Missile (HVM) system, which would be based on the Lexington Building Water Tower. The tower contains residential flats.

The MoD says in the leaflet that the missiles will not pose a hazard to residents and "will only be authorised for active use following specific orders from the highest levels of government in response to a confirmed and extreme security threat".

The document states: "Having a 24/7 Armed Forces and police presence will improve your local security and will not make you a target for terrorists.
    Extract from MoD leaflet This part of the leaflet assures residents that their residence will not become a terrorist target

"The location has been chosen as it is situated close to the Olympic Park and offers an excellent view of the surrounding area and the entire sky above the Olympic Park.

"The top of the tower also offers a flat, uncluttered and safe area from which to operate."

The Army website says the HVM system is "designed to counter threats from very high performance, low-flying aircraft".

It says the missile travels at more than three times the speed of sound, using "a system of three dart-like projectiles to allow multiple hits on the target".

The missiles can be fired from the shoulder, from a lightweight multiple launcher or from armoured vehicles.

A MoD spokesman said: "As announced before Christmas, ground based air defence systems could be deployed as part of a multi-layered air security plan for the Olympics, including fast jets and helicopters, which will protect the skies over London during the Games.

"Based on military advice we have identified a number of sites and, alongside colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, are talking to local authorities and relevant landowners to help minimise the impact of any temporary deployments.

"As part of our ongoing planning, we can confirm site evaluations have taken place."

The MoD has previously said it was considering plans to install surface-to-air missiles in south-east London at Blackheath and Shooters Hill during the Olympics.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

This was the first headline item on RTE radio this morning. slow news day perhaps.

Comment

I'd be delighted if where I live had its own air defence system....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Instead of cribbing they should welcome the 24hrs armed security that they will have, I cant see to many burgalaries or bag snatching in that street.
        Sorry but im with the MOD here, put up whatever is needed , where its needed.

Comment

sounds like a Manpad ,must be on a sector not covered by a Daring.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
            sounds like a Manpad ,must be on a sector not covered by a Daring.
            every plan has a back-up.
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

And, in a difficult sellers market you can in all honesty put it on the market as being "fully-equipped with all MOD cons".

Comment

It'll be great for street crime. All the usual vermin will be deterred from bag-snatching, picking pockets and so on when they realise that the CCTV has been supplemented by rifle sights. I sincerely hope that some toerag tries it on and gets shot. Accidentally. Of course....
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Starstreak by the sound of things - taken from the description of three dart like projectiles.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    every plan has a back-up.
                    No harm in a bit of Layered Air Defence.

Comment

I know damn all about these systems, but I'm presuming that the "backblast" won't be an issue, and I suppose any firing would be at a such a target which would mean that the "scattering of debris" all over London would be less of a risk than if the target was allowed to proceed unimpeded.

I can't imagine they will have any test runs at drogues!
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Higher Velocity Missile system" dont sound quite right.

"They say they'll only use them as a last resort, but... you'd shower debris across the east end of London by firing these missiles."
                        Has he any idea the debris that could be spread if a plane was flown intentionally used to target an area of dense population by terrorist?

Get over it Mr. Whealen, Londoners in the past survived the associated shrapnel from British AA fire in WW2.

Rushana Ali, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said: "It looks like it's been imposed without proper consultation.
                        Ha well . . . we all know Muslim Fundamentalist Terror Groups give lots of warning with regards impending attacks so as to limit civilian casualties.

Connaught Stranger
                        Last edited by Connaught Stranger; 30 April 2012, 14:10.

Comment

i wasn't too impressed with those the media decided to represent the criticism of this deployment of British Army soldiers and equipment - an Irishman and a Muslim.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Worth noting that Mr Whelan is irish.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Worth noting that Mr Whelan is irish.
                              and Muslim?

God knows - but the media have been twats about this.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X