No announcement yet.

London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the problem, it's only a deterrent, people should be grateful for the extra security. Did'ent we do it here for one of the visits to the Dail, some years ago?
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
      Whats the problem, it's only a deterrent, people should be grateful for the extra security. Did'ent we do it here for one of the visits to the Dail, some years ago?
      i totally agree - i'm sure if the worst did happen and there were no air defences to prevent it then the same people would probably be kicking off saying the MOD could have easily placed such weapons on many sites in London and that the Government wasn't protecting them from such attacks.

you just can't please some people - it's just a pity the media chose the stereotypical people who might not look on this deployment of British Soldiers and equipment too favourably to pass comment.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I dont see why the love-in tree hugging hippy brigade dont just all f**k off and move to a different country anyway. Hate this kind of NON NEWS sh*te.
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

What the hell are people whinging about. Get the priorities right, I would most certainly prefer to have a "scattering of debris" as opposed to an aircraft plowing into a populated area.

"Resident outraged when army sniper takes out suicide bomber and splatters blood over all over his dandelions"
          "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

I know that tower very well. It's on the site of the former Bryant & May matchstick factory. They were turned into luxury apartments over 20 odd years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              It'll be great for street crime. All the usual vermin will be deterred from bag-snatching, picking pockets and so on when they realise that
              they are on duty for the Olympics and are stuck doing stag on top of a water tower

Comment

that was a duuuurty wun

Comment

"First hand account" (whinge) in the Indo

Flats to be used as missile launch site for Games
                  By Neil Midgley in London

Monday April 30 2012

When I checked my post on Friday, I found three items: a credit-card mailshot, a stationery catalogue -- and a leaflet from the UK defence ministry.

In two sides of A4, the MoD told me that the development where I live, the Bow Quarter in east London, is likely to be used as a launch site for a high-velocity-missile (HVM) ground-based air-defence system.

The people who normally dwell in our 700-odd flats are Canary Wharf bankers, creative types and young families. We seldom see anyone in uniform other than our own security guards (who, yesterday, had the unusual task of fighting off TV crews as the story went global).

Threats

Our tallest landmark -- the largely unused Lexington Building Water Tower -- has been chosen by the army as the most likely potential launch site for a HVM system which will, in extremis, be deployed to shoot down airborne threats to the Olympic Games.

Apparently the Lexington tower is the only building both tall enough, and near enough, to the Games, to give unimpeded views of the entire Olympic Park. So from Friday, we will play host to an exercise which will test the command and control network, and whether the HVM system is capable of detecting the kinds of threats it is designed to combat.

The HVM system best detects "aircraft that are coming head-on", Lt Col Brian Fahy, an army military liaison officer, said. "It will be the last opportunity to stop anything getting to the Olympic Park itself."

Lt Col Fahy also confirmed -- in a move that will anger some residents -- our estate management company has given permission for the test. If successful, the army team and equipment may be deployed -- with live ammunition -- for up to two months. This latest development brings the sharp reality of London holding the Olympics much closer to home. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

- Neil Midgley in London
                  http://www.independent.ie/world-news...s-3095356.html
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

I have never heard of any western armed forces putting a high veloicity missile system on a highly residential block of flats.Stupitidy by puttiing the 700 odd so residents at risk or a smart tactical decision?????

Comment

Surely if an aircraft gets in that far to the centre of London , the air defence screen has already failed.?

Comment

Originally posted by tomh903 View Post
                        I have never heard of any western armed forces putting a high veloicity missile system on a highly residential block of flats.Stupitidy by puttiing the 700 odd so residents at risk or a smart tactical decision?????
                        How many Olympics have been held in Western Europe since 9/11?

Times have changed.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                          Surely if an aircraft gets in that far to the centre of London , the air defence screen has already failed.?
                          just because you have barbed wire around your garden doesn't mean you don't lock your door or activate your alarm.

i'd say it just adds depth to the defences - especially for anything approaching at low level through the clutter of high rise buildings etc. that might allow anything get in closer than it should.

better safe than sorry.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            just because you have barbed wire around your garden doesn't mean you don't lock your door or activate your alarm.

i'd say it just adds depth to the defences - especially for anything approaching at low level through the clutter of high rise buildings etc. that might allow anything get in closer than it should.

better safe than sorry.
                            Helis in particular, which could relaively easily avoid the radar of ships positioned in the Thames. Terrorists don't have access to fast jets, but a guy firing a rifle from a little hired Robinson flown by a semi-competent pilot could potentially nip in and become what everyone would remember about London 2012. If you have it and it's potentially useful, deploy it.

Comment

What I'am thinking here is. Right lads we are in the centre of London now, in your own time shoot us down.

Comment

Its absolutely ridiculous they notified the residents, IMO its an operational decision and should not be held up to scrutiny, especially in the media. And the muslim MP complaining about not being consulted...is she serious? MOD should "neither confirm nor deny" deployments and any other sensitive security matters!
                                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X