Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army re-org from 3 Brigades to 2

Hi All

I did do a search but couldnt find any further info on this topic (which is probably my fault as I might not have searched properly)

So apologies if this is a repeat of an existing thread.

Anyway my question is: Any further news on the propsed re-org of the army structure from 3 Brigades down to 2? Last I heard was that the DOD in conjunction with senior military personnel were due to come back to the Minister with proposals as to how this would be accomplished.

Have they reported back?

If not when are they due to report back?

And finally please feel free to speculate as to what future shape the Army may take in view of the re-org.

Many thanks in advance

There is a Parlimentary question being put to the minister in the Dail this evening regarding this topic. I suggest you wait to hear his answer. You can watch the Ministers question time online, live.
    Answers are posted on this website, in the politics section a few days later.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Cheers Goldie - will do.

Comment

Comment

On the local wireless today that Custume Barracks to lose 550 troops and be downgraded, hardly worth 4FARs while to unpack!

Comment

Originally posted by Left100 View Post
            On the local wireless today that Custume Barracks to lose 550 troops and be downgraded, hardly worth 4FARs while to unpack!
            Downgraded ?

To what ? Oh, yes, I was about to say that it's a Bde HQ, but this is obviously the start of the transition from 3 Bdes to 2 Bdes
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The Minister said a couple of days ago it was safe!

Comment

They were complaining in the Dail that it was too full. Now they are just making it more comfy for those there.

Comment

cart before the horse surely. Rumours ( undenied ) so far as far as I can see but as we know well it will be true when it is officially denied.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

It's political posturing.Testing the waters before any proper announcement is made.FFS the MA's are not due to report back to the Minister before the end of July anyway.No matter what happens though you are not going to have two BDE Hq's in the one Bde.If they go north/south split then Collins and Custume are safe.East/west then we have a problem.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

What about reforming into a mechanised Brigade and a light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo768 View Post
                        I doubt a single TD or the minister would know that means!!

Comment

Tis a fair question and involves a massive amount of what-if'ing. Here's the deal ; the 2 Brig structure will prob come out this year, THEN the Green Paper, THEN the White Paper.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

It is a logical choice though, given the actual equipment status. It would be public knowledge that there isn't enough APCs, LTAVs, MRVs and CRVs to equip the entire DF. Why not concentrate the heavy stuff in one brigade?
                            Also, while the discussion is of changing the army from three brigades to two, in effect there are still four. The DFTC maintains much of the command structure of a Brigade, without the combat elements. However there are many units based in DFTC that are not under the Eastern Brigade.
                            !st Armoured Cavalry and 1st Air Defence Rgt for example.

Comment

There is alot of speculation at the moment as to what way its all going to go, the recommendation was to provide a split Northern Command / Southern Command along the middle counties with the exception of Galway being southern command. How that effects the core units im not sure, for example what happens to the CIS, MP, Logs coys, do they simply have a MP B-Coy.

Im just putting what i heard in the pot; no more reliable than anyone else
                              Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                              Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

Working...
                              X