• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
    Doxycycline

these were also issued in timor as numbers were smaller
    i think this will be bigger than the deafness claims
    I don't think so, in fact there are only a small number of lads affected, and it's only a very small pool.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      I don't think so, in fact there are only a small number of lads affected, and it's only a very small pool.
      i dont know.. if dave o s goes to court and gets cash whats stopping every soldier from doing it??
      i,d say 40% of my unit have problems from using it

Comment

It amazes me as someone who worked in and around litigation for a number of years that the DoD never established it's own internal (but evenhanded) compensation tribunal assessing cases in parallel to PIAB and the civil courts.

That said, shame on anyone who uses this as an opportunity for Army bashing, the defence forces exist to underwrite our civil democracy and the relative luxury of livng in a first world country doesn't just exist unsupported.

It's beyond belief the way Irish people will bitch and moan about their entitled, exceptional status yet begrudge legitimate compensation to people who provide a real service to all of us because they do it in a way that isn't pushed in the faces of the public every day.

In fact there is a culture in the defence forces of underplaying the experience of operations. Something some other professions and state services could learn from.
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I had to take Lariam for 4 months. Having heard of how it affected people and seen firsthand what some of my mates went through on it I think that anyone who has been adversely affected by it deserves everything they get.

Especially since the side effects were well known. I remember getting a mini brief from the doctor in Bricins who told us the side effects but stated that they were only going to affect us while we took them. This evidently wasn't true.

The attitude that the DF takes towards these safety measures i.e. lariam, hearing protection is to go the cheap way first and hope it works out. I think it will take a few lawsuits for them to consider that 'Hey maybe if we go the cheap route we'll end up paying more money in the long run'

And for the record Lariam has affected me. My short term memory is completely shot. I have trouble remembering names of people I've just met, things I was told within a few minutes of being told them. However this is a minor complaint and I can live with it. Its not worth going to court over especially when it has affected so many others so dramatically.

Hope the DOD pays through the nose for their cheap, cost effective gambling with soldiers mental health.
          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
            i dont know.. if dave o s goes to court and gets cash whats stopping every soldier from doing it??
            i,d say 40% of my unit have problems from using it
            Lets look at it in comparison to the hearing,

Lariam was only issued for a few missions, there fore the pool is way way way reduced already, the symptoms just can't be I can't hear the telly or I am getting excessive wet dreams, there has to be more - so now we are down even further, then the screening process then those who have complained etc etc.

There won't be any cases of some lad in an FCA unit in longer ford twice on the range shite, i would reckon this would be no more than 50 ALL ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              Lets look at it in comparison to the hearing,

Lariam was only issued for a few missions, there fore the pool is way way way reduced already, the symptoms just can't be I can't hear the telly or I am getting excessive wet dreams, there has to be more - so now we are down even further, then the screening process then those who have complained etc etc.

There won't be any cases of some lad in an FCA unit in longer ford twice on the range shite, i would reckon this would be no more than 50 ALL ranks.
              i think your right on most to be honest
              but 50 all ranks ??
              my unit would be 50 % of that straight away and were a small unit by bn numbers
              eritrea chad liberia how long did these missions run for?

Comment

50 is only a guess mate, but it's going to be a very small amount.

Comment

Maybe we should look at this from another perspective, why did we get this drug.... so as not to get malaria . How many of us have died of malaria ..... None ! 1 million apparently per annum die of malaria in Africa..... Of the first 150 US Marines ashore in Liberia , over 50% got malaria and two died. Imagine the outcry ( never mind the claims) if we haven't got it and lost 3/4 guys per month dead to malaria . Doxy is not as effective against the sub Saharan strain of malaria .... And before anyone asks , yeah took both have had a few side effects , mad dreams and the like ..... But the best side effect was no malaria.

Btw had heard a nasty DFTC rumour that the research for this prime time weren't great , calling to the families of soldiers who killed themselves ( was the lariam that made him/her do it , now talk into the camera) ....classy.

Comment

Given there are recognised side effects, as with most medications . of it is prescribed to a preselected group with or without screenings there are going to be side effects.

I wouldn't consider it negligence but would consider the DFs non recognition of the fact that side effects will occur to a percentage of any grouping taking the medication on DF advice, to be akin to burying its head in the sand.

Some of the side effects may be enhanced by underlying factors which lay undetected by lack of comprehensive screening and would be identified by independant analysis.

If there were contributory factors such as misuse of alcohol or mixing with other medicines or non prescribed drugs this should have been highlighted in a full screening process.

I have been a user of prescribed medication for the past 16 years and have had many changes of types and dosage amounts related to my condition during that time.

At all times , given the indefinite duration of the usage I had to be screened for side effects or long terms adverse effects. It was through this education that I became aware of my resistance or my lack there of and adverse reaction to certain meds.

No one drug is suitable to all people and may affect different people in different ways, but there is a two way liability in the use of medication, that of the person prescribing the meds to monitor and screen those using the meds, and that responsibility of those using the meds to adhere to the advice that comes with them and to report any abnormality whether advertised or not to a suitable authority.

From my experience with the DF in relation to medical matters, they tend to be very narrow minded in dealing with people who present with circumstances around mental health be it induced or congenital and tend to off load them rather than support them at the earliest oppertunity.

In this case although the prescription of the medication may have been done with the best of intentions their ability to help with ant adverse effects has followed traditional DF lines.

Deal with it after the events and when we have off loaded them

May only be a small number but surely it would have been better to look after this small number while in service and after service than just dump them.

Army doctors..I fcuking shit them"!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

why is Larium such a big deal for certain individuals in the ONH?

we have had a constant presence in Africa and other similar Malaria prone places for decades and tens of thousands of us have been put on Larium to protect us.

i and nearly everyone i know was OK when we took Larium while we served in Africa, but yes there have been others with some side effects - but these were always explained to us in advance and were to be expected but i've never seen the collective effort there seems to be in the ONH to get compensation for it.

i'm not aware of soldiers from any other army other than in Ireland trying to collectively gain compensation for using the drug, so is this Larium polava just an another compensation scam like the deafness one, or is it the unique Irish version of 'Gulf War Syndrome'?
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

1. There is no collective effort to gain compensation.

Lariam affects a small percentage of users, and the effects are nothing from bad dreams to bad things, people everywhere have suffered from it.
                        The correct way to deal with it is - screen to see who is affected and then place them on other treatments.

What was happening is that the Defence Forces were using Lariam as a one stop fits all treatment, those who couldn't take it couldn't go over seas with the ensuing no career etc.

This initially started with a simple request for proper screening and proper treatment for suffers, but the Minister lied and said this was in place. Once the polite stuff was ignored the suffers had no other option but to go o the Courts.

There are some Soldiers from every Army suffering from this.

To say lads suffering from the adverse affects of latiam is mere polava is akin to saying those PTSD suffers in WW1 suffered from lack of moral fibre.

Comment

+1 On everything Hedgie just said.And just to reiterate THERE IS NO COLLECTIVE EFFORT TO GAIN COMPENSATION
                          Comparing the DF's medical treatment of its soldiers to other Armies is like comparing apples and oranges.We are only trotting after other countries in the level of care we give our troops.Perhaps if the levels of care were the same as the BA's for example and the MA's actually gave a f**k about their troops welfare then troops would not need to use the recourse of the courts!
                          Oh and BTW I have used Lariam aswell.Yes i did suffer nightmares etc while on it but thankfully that passed.However to this day my short term memory is iffy to say the least.Will I be suing??NO.Why?Because I have no way of saying wether the memory loss is a result of the Lariam or just the results of getting older.

As for the "hearing scam".The MA's failed to look after their troops welfare as they had a duty of care to.Some lads suffered very significant NIHL.Others didn't.Did some jump on the gravy train.Hell yes.Human nature to do so when you see others getting payouts.Howver their was a very,very large chunk of the DF that didn't.
                          We had to endure years of slagging from civvies because of the actions of those who jumped on the bandwagon.Thankfully that seems to be dying out though.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

we have had a constant presence in Africa and other similar Malaria prone places for decades and tens of thousands of us have been put on Larium to protect us.

i and nearly everyone i know was OK when we took Larium while we served in Africa, but yes there have been others with some side effects - but these were always explained to us in advance and were to be expected but i've never seen the collective effort there seems to be in the ONH to get compensation for it.

i'm not aware of soldiers from any other army other than in Ireland trying to collectively gain compensation for using the drug, so is this Larium polava just an another compensation scam like the deafness one, or is it the unique Irish version of 'Gulf War Syndrome'?
                            There's no collective effort from Irish troops to get compensation, stop talking shite.

The DF's issuing of Lairum to all troops is downright dangerous. There's no screening for suitability involved, there's no alternative... Don't want to take Larium? That's grand, don't get any Overseas trips and get ****ed out for not fulfilling your contractual obligations.

I personally have never taken it so can't vouch for it personally, I've heard enough of lads experiences who have taken it to know I'm not looking forward to the day I do have to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

We are not the only Army thats treated badly by its betters when things go wrong
                              Every tenth prisoner in UK is a war veteranPublished 09 October, 2009, 14:05Thousands of British troops coming back from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan suf...

Comment

Ireland has a compo culture, often due to the actions/inactions of Government or other State agencies.

Then there is the ambulance chasing legal profession.

The Law Society had to get involved over the hearing claims.

Comment

Working...
                                X