Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    I like WB and I have read his poetry- but I cant actually pick anything out of a poem of his that would equate to the name of a vessel- unless its the LE Wild Swans- LE Sally Garden- LE When you are old.

It would be so so simple to get suggestions from NS Bodies past and present and make a short list ( shortlis committee to consist of all ranks) and put the short list to the vote of the NS persons- there families and the ex sea hags.

Was there ever an LE Maebh,

and when a lot of vessels are named worldwide - they are given imagineative names that inspire etc etc- were the naming committee on a jolly boys outing when HMS Ocean got her name?
    It is worth recalling that L.E. Aisling, in a break from tradition, instead of being named after an Irish Historic Heroine, was named to commemorate Padraig Pearse's centenary, after a Poetic Genre, normally Ireland appears to the poet in a vision in the form of a woman, sometimes young and beautiful, sometimes old and haggard.

My that logic, we could theoretically see a ship named "limerick", "ode" or "haiku".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• It wouldn't surprise me if the next ships are coincidentally named after some politician's daughter.

stick with what they know.
      us ex sea hags have a tendencey to name our daughters after ships!!!!! My eldest daughter was called Aisling in a compromise as no way in hell would the wife let me call her Eithne. the Compromise was I had done my firts gunner shoot on Aisling where as I had served on Eithne for two years.

I 'd like to see the former ships names being recycled, if nothing else only to remember the crews that served on them.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Although i prefer the system in use for naming ships here is an idea which might suit a lot of the intrested parties . The ship will be known by its pennent number but would have a tempory name in honour for 6 or 12 months of the year . Based on 30 year life span for a ship thats a lot names to please everyone , plenty of P R and media exposure and a happy Joe Public .
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• I thought it was unlucky to rename a ship
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• The ship would not actualy be renamed , just honoury .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• would hate to see a departure from the current unique tradition...we have so few that are genuinely our own. In this little democracy I vote for 'no change'. Rivers/counties/cities/ politicians...all done to death by other navies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marius View Post
                would hate to see a departure from the current unique tradition...we have so few that are genuinely our own. In this little democracy I vote for 'no change'. Rivers/counties/cities/ politicians...all done to death by other navies.
                Marius has a point here, I think.
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  LE Brenan Behan (The drunk with a writing problem)

Why not name them after famous Grayhounds
                  I think the LE Brendan Bean would be a good one, (Drink & Wit you cant beat it)

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    us ex sea hags have a tendencey to name our daughters after ships!!!!! My eldest daughter was called Aisling in a compromise as no way in hell would the wife let me call her Eithne. the Compromise was I had done my firts gunner shoot on Aisling where as I had served on Eithne for two years.

I 'd like to see the former ships names being recycled, if nothing else only to remember the crews that served on them.
                    I named my daughter Aisling reason why, I was serving on board her at the time. I thought it was a nice Irish Name. Cant say the Guns on LE Aisling Where nice, Always jamming!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      would hate to see a departure from the current unique tradition...we have so few that are genuinely our own. In this little democracy I vote for 'no change'. Rivers/counties/cities/ politicians...all done to death by other navies.
                      Not all that unique,RN has used female classic names such as Phoebe,Hermione,Penelope etc.Always a risk of current system being hijacked by failing politicians to call units after wags etc,maybe a new format is now timely.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                        Not all that unique,RN has used female classic names such as Phoebe,Hermione,Penelope etc.Always a risk of current system being hijacked by failing politicians to call units after wags etc,maybe a new format is now timely.
                        I agree that the process needs to be kept away from politicians or the ships will be called after their wives/daughters. It has been tried in the past.
                        However I always felt that the RN for centuries were barking (sorry) up the wrong tree by calling their frigates after women in GREEK mythology. At least we didn't dip into another country's legends.

Comment

• However I always felt that the RN for centuries were barking (sorry) up the wrong tree by calling their frigates after women in GREEK mytholog
                          Dunno, at least with the 'leanders' naming them after greek mythology had to be better than the type 22s calling them after you mother in law....HMS Battleaxe!!!!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The RN, in times past, had so many ships that it had a dedicated naming committee, who took it very seriously, especialy when naming ships in large Classes, such as the Flower and Ton classes, familiar to us.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
                              Why not leave well enough alone?
                              I was of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, why fix it". Well it seems it is broke.

L.É. Aisling was part of the Volvo Ocean race recently, as guard ship. Foreign press were reporting it as "Le Ailing", with no idea that it was an Irish Warship.

The Irish names are fine for those of us used to the oddities of the Irish Language, however, in the foreign places our ships may frequent, consider the following.

Emer: emmer
                              Aoife: Oaf
                              Eithne: Ithing
                              Ciara: seeara
                              Roisin: row-sin
                              Niamh: Nommha

At least most of the world know how to Pronounce James Joyces name..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                I was of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, why fix it". Well it seems it is broke.

L.É. Aisling was part of the Volvo Ocean race recently, as guard ship. Foreign press were reporting it as "Le Ailing", with no idea that it was an Irish Warship.

The Irish names are fine for those of us used to the oddities of the Irish Language, however, in the foreign places our ships may frequent, consider the following.

Emer: emmer
                                Aoife: Oaf
                                Eithne: Ithing
                                Ciara: seeara
                                Roisin: row-sin
                                Niamh: Nommha

At least most of the world know how to Pronounce James Joyces name..
                                Let us name our ships to please ourselves. The names are unique and the legends associated with them do impress foreigners. I wouldn't change my name just because foreigners couldn't pronounce it.

Comment

Working...
                                X