Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boreas View Post
    Medsailor will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the no names thing comes from the Maritime squadron having its origins in the RAF rescue boats rather than the Royal Navy.
    No, actually it comes from too much politicking. In the day we had boats named after Marshall Tito (their donor) but thankfully those days are long gone. Since then agreeing on a set of decent, meaningful and, most importantly, politically neutral names that no-one nor their dog find offensive has been massively difficult. That said, watch this space...

Comment

• Originally posted by Medsailor View Post
      No, actually it comes from too much politicking. In the day we had boats named after Marshall Tito (their donor) but thankfully those days are long gone. Since then agreeing on a set of decent, meaningful and, most importantly, politically neutral names that no-one nor their dog find offensive has been massively difficult. That said, watch this space...
      What about Ladies from Celtic myth........ oh , never mind!!!
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Why is it we name ships but units have always been just numbered in the army?
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
          Unfortunately the only ladies from Celtic myth our boys know are the young ladies from Cobh whose acquaintance was made during the long, hot (not really!) summer of 2015...

Comment

Unfortunately the only ladies from Celtic myth our boys know are the young ladies from Cobh whose acquaintance was made during the long, hot (not really!) summer of 2015...
            Hey it was hot for us

Comment

young ladies from Cobh.... long, hot (not really!) summer of 2015...
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                What? Like Twinks daughter you mean??

Comment

• I vote naming the fourth P60 the LE Flann O'Brien, with funnel art of the two seagulls from Finding Nemo sitting in the water.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                    I vote naming the fourth P60 the LE Flann O'Brien, with funnel art of the two seagulls from Finding Nemo sitting in the water.
                    If you changed that slightly to the LE Dennis O'Brien, he'd probably bung us a cheque for a CIWS?

Comment

• ...only if they didn't paint the obvious space bouncer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A retro space hopper toy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	698087
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by expat01; 21 June 2016, 19:57.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                        If you changed that slightly to the LE Dennis O'Brien, he'd probably bung us a cheque for a CIWS?
                        Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                        I vote naming the fourth P60 the LE Flann O'Brien, with funnel art of the two seagulls from Finding Nemo sitting in the water.
                        LE Edna O'Brien with a 'Celtic' lovelorn heroine on the funnel .....

Comment

Hmmm.... Its a wonder you didn't end up with some stowaways, happen in the past with the yanks, but then again a PV isn't as glamourous as an Assault Carrier or a Destroyer. and most of their fathers had probably served on Aoife anyway!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Orion View Post
                            Get Vogue Williams to model for it and I'm game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Orion View Post
                              Don't be so disgusting...if one gets a LE Cecelia Ahern then I will spend my last few cents on an anti-ship missile.......
                              Last edited by Turkey; 22 June 2016, 19:34.
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• I just maintain hope theyll see sense and revert to the old system.

I always felt abandoning the tradition of mythic figures was a mistake.
                                Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
                                Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Comment

Working...
                                X