This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck View Post
    You're lucky you have your own gear like that and I like your attitude to the whole org in general.

I would go out and get my own helmet but I cannot justify spending €100+ on something I'd wear maybe twice a year tops. On top of that, who can say if something did happen (God forbid) that I'd be covered, seeing as I was wearing unissued and unapproved (by the DF gear).

Those active peltors are a nice bit of gear though; I know you mentioned it before on here but how much do they go for?
    +1

Active peltors are around €100

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      +1

Active peltors are around €100
      The set I bought in the US were cheaper than that...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You're lucky you have your own gear like that and I like your attitude to the whole org in general.

I would go out and get my own helmet but I cannot justify spending €100+ on something I'd wear maybe twice a year tops. On top of that, who can say if something did happen (God forbid) that I'd be covered, seeing as I was wearing unissued and unapproved (by the DF gear).

Those active peltors are a nice bit of gear though; I know you mentioned it before on here but how much do they go for?
        Buying gear isn't for everyone. I'm just a raging kit whore, so it suits me to buy my own. As for insurance, unfortunately the DF don't care about you as a Reservist once you are out of uniform, so I'd prefer to sport the gear that's going to best protect me in the first instance.

My headset would be around £190 new. MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with gel cups. But they also happen to be my workplace PPE, so didnt cost me a penny

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you Re. Buying a helmet, it would get max 2 weeks of use a year so I'd find it hard to justify the sponds on it. There is a little temptation to buy an airsoft one however!
          I only really buy one bit of gear a year, never more than €100. This year it was a battlevest and I might get a bivi bag. Have issue webbing, backpack, helmet and wetgear so the only nice to have things are a better daysack, gucci helmet and sleeping bag really...but that will cost a good bit.

But with using a privately purchased helmet and getting hurt and being worried about covered just look at the state of the helmet I've been using for the last couple of years;

The DF would settle on the steps of the courthouse. The shell of the helmet is only meant to have a 10(?) year lifespan.
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
            The DF would settle on the steps of the courthouse. The shell of the helmet is only meant to have a 10(?) year lifespan.
            But the DF will not be liable if you purchase one yourself.

Plus I would be weary of purchasing a helmet on ebay or similar

Comment

but using a banged up 1985 era Rabintex CAD4 is ? At least if I go out and buy an MICH/ACH the provenance is reasonably assured
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                but using a banged up 1985 era Rabintex CAD4 is ? At least if I go out and buy an MICH/ACH the provenance is reasonably assured
                And if there is an accident and you get a head injury (no matter if helmet provides protection or not) you give the DF/DOD/Government a chance to get off

The DF have a responsibility to provide PPE.

Comment

Sorry I remember standing with a rake of people on a mortar line in '88 with our fingers in our ears. It took the DOD several hearing claims to get off its hole and actually provide PPE for hearing to everyone including the RDF G1. Don't give me that BS.

Comment

And if there is an accident and you get a head injury (no matter if helmet provides protection or not) you give the DF/DOD/Government a chance to get off

The quotes below are all from the HSA, I will remind you that breaching H&S regs in Ireland is a Criminal offence.

How often should PPE be replaced?
                    • There is no legislation or Code of Practice stating the life expectancy of any PPE. In general it is recommended you follow the manufacturer’s instructions. The manufacturer must give the obsolescence deadline or period of obsolescence of PPE or its components. The date of obsolescence is the date from which the PPE becomes useless for its intended use or is no longer fit for its purpose. (Requirement under Annex II Article 1.4e, of EU PPE Directive 89/686, transposed in Ireland as European Communities (Personal Protective Equipment) Regulations 1993).
                    • The manufacturer must provide all information necessary so that the user can determine a reasonable period of obsolescence. However, the manufacturer is not obliged to affix the date of manufacture on the product or on the instructions for use, although some may do this.
                    • In general, manufacturers do give information on how to identify the “end of life”, a limiting date of use or a maximum service time.

Do I have to share my ear muffs with my colleagues?
                    No. Regulation 129(1)(a) of the 2007 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations requires the provision of individual hearing protectors
                    Does PPE have to be tested and inspected?
                    • PPE must be thoroughly examined regularly by competent staff according to manufacturer’s instructions. As a general rule, simple maintenance may be carried out by the user, provided that he or she has been adequately instructed and trained (e.g. lens cleaning on goggles or replacing helmet straps).
                    • The examination, maintenance and repair of PPE used in high-risk situations (e.g. PPE used by firemen) should be carried out by properly trained staff who manufacturer or supplier (or both). Those involved should have the necessary tools and materials to carry out proper repairs.
                    Who pays for PPE in workplace?Section 8 of the Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 places a duty on employers to supply PPE where risks cannot be eliminated or adequately controlled.
                    • Employers cannot pass on to employees any financial costs associated with duties relating to safety, health and welfare at work. An employer may not ask for money to be paid to them by an employee for the provision of PPE whether returnable (e.g. a deposit) or otherwise.
                    • Employers may charge a worker for PPE if the worker is truly self-employed.
                    • Where an employee wishes to upgrade to a more expensive item of PPE (e.g employee wants a more fashionable brand), the employer & employee may enter into an agreement whereby the employee makes up the difference between the cost of the original item of PPE & that of the more expensive item, assuming they both give the same level of protection within the workplace.
                    DF is only exempt in civil emergencies, public order, security or an act of war and on "active service".
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

HA!
                      When doing a DR course, students get to wear pooled PPE. This includes helmets. Motorcycle helmets are designed to mould to the shape of a users head, when new. They will not mould to the shape of a second, third, fourth or fifth user.
                      Only when you pass the course will you get issued your own PPE.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Does (For those of us in the RDF) "active service" include full time exercises or on annual training?
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                          Does (For those of us in the RDF) "active service" include full time exercises or on annual training?
                          Would doubt it. Probably would (in the case of a Reservist) mean a scenario where personnel are called up for service in an emergency situation (time of war, etc)

This is covered under a Section of the Defence Act - I think Section 90, off the top of my head
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            The set I bought in the US were cheaper than that...
                            I'll do a bit of digging and see if I can find a link...

Comment

Not in the slightest.

Defence Act S5

Active service. [s. 5: 18/1954]
                              (1) A person subject to military law shall, for the purposes of this Act, be on active
                              service—
                              (a) during any period during which an order made under subsection (2) of this section
                              is in force, or
                              (b) whenever he is attached to or forms part of a force which is engaged in operations
                              against an enemy, or
                              (c) whenever he is engaged in military operations in a place wholly or mainly
                              occupied by an enemy,
                              and the expression ‘‘on active service’’ when used in this Act in relation to a person subject
                              to military law shall be construed accordingly.
                              (2) The Government, during a period of emergency, may, whenever they consider the
                              circumstances are of such a nature as to warrant their so doing, by order under this
                              subsection declare the Defence Forces to be on active service.

Comment

My Warrior Chest Rig is also for sale if anyone is interest in one! Pics to follow!
                                Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X