Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most decorated member of the PDF and most decorated member of the RDF (FCA, LDF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didnt an officer get injured in the incident,people were in harms way.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
      Didnt an officer get injured in the incident,people were in harms way.
      He shot himself with a Bap taking it out of its holster in his excited state. *So I've heard*
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Exactly what is legend locally,people were def in harms way!!

Comment

Exactly what is legend locally,people were def in harms way!!
          Why do you say that? It was an armed cp within a sterile zone.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Any accidental discharge can be potentially lethal to both the misfortunate firer and to others in the immediate vicinity.

Comment

Any accidental discharge can be potentially lethal to both the misfortunate firer and to others in the immediate vicinity.
              That's nice. What has it to do with anything?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

He shot himself with a Bap taking it out of its holster in his excited state.
                  Didn't happen!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    I would suppose the lads who received the MMG are the highest decorated in the DF,

I hate to say this and no disrespect to the "proper" holders - but the DSM is somewhat undervalued now because its a going away pressie to COS's that didnt burn the shop down,

and the sad and disgusting thing is we have lads who risked and sometime lost their lives so that others may live who have received the DSM and yet COS's such as screaming Jim Shit received it and did feck all of worth.

I genuinely think we should distingusih between proper DSM's won by the likes of the Tramore lads and those boys in the Congo by referring to those medals as DSM's and the you were great and so was I type of medals given out in a chris kindle type giveaway to Jim SHit and the Pat Nashville and the other overpaid over pensioned wasters by referring to it as the MDSM (Mingy Distinguished Service medal)

Its kind of therauptic to get rants out of my system this early in the morning- well done that Morpheus chap

I totally agree with you hedgehog............ My brother in Law saw an NCO in the late sixties (Congo Vet) refusing a DSM on the main square in the Curragh Camp, he explained that he had done nothing to deserve it. The officer who served with him accepted the DSM he was recommended for. (some thing to do with the Congo)

Never ever drink and drive......Gay Byrne RSA

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Kavanagh was Metioned in dispatches with a scroll marking his bravery signed by Churchill for several acts of valour including being sunk twice while serving in the British Merchant Navy as ships officer.

He also served on MV Kerlogue with Irish shipping and was awarded for his acts of humanity while serving aboard as Second officer, by the post war German Government.

As of yet I cannot clearly identify what the award is but it was worn around the neck on a ribbon.

I've stolen a phot from George Jeffries photo page to give an idea of the nature of the medal, gold worn on a blue ribbon.

apologies to George.

Very interesting thread, some great info here.

Hi Murph,

Commodore Peter Kavanagh was awarded the following foriegn decorations.

Grand Cross of Merit, from Federal Republic of Germany
                      The Cross of Naval Merit - first Class, from Spain (possibly June 1980)
                      Commodore of Naval Merit, from France (Awarded 9 November 1978) I have newspaper photo of the presentation.
                      Order of the Crown, from Belgium (awarded August 1980 along with Lt. Gen O'Sullivan)
                      Order of Orange - Nassau, from Netherlands

The award Kavanagh is wearing in the photo you posted is the Cross of Naval Merit. As he was awarded this in 1978 and the others just before his retirement it is possible that it is this award that people referred to as 'Peties iron cross'.

The survivors reports for Jersey city, New Westminster City and Harpalion can all be found at TNA Kew, along with the London gazette dated 15 September 1942. Kavanagh was mentioned for an award commendation for his actions on New Westminster City. His actions were also mentioned in the chief officers survivors report for the same ship. I have copies of all these documents. You can also get a copy of the gazette from their website.

Quite a good naval record for an auld Irish fella.

Comment

Working...
                      X