Extremely low-level pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i once saw a Tornado clip a tree.

i think they used to go a bit far on the Red Flag exercises - Bucc's and Tornado's reurning with bits missing and lumps of bush, powerline and rock attached, but you can't expect a crab not to be a flash bastard...

Comment

Well, there was a story one time of the RAF bragging about how low they could fly at Red Flag and remain undetected by the defending forces, because they, as always, love to put one over on the Yanks. Unfortunately, it led to one crash and resultant two deaths and two other Buccs were permanently withdrawn from use because of extensive cracking in the wings and airframe from the stress of high-speed, low-level, hot-weather flight with war loads aboard. It's a bit embarrassing to come home from a peacetime exercise down three aircraft and two men. Apart from that, a Jaguar pilot on exchange with the Swedish AF thought he knew about low flying until he went on a Viggen flight and didn't get above 30 ft and in his own words, "we were flying up firebreaks in the forests. that's when I knew that we (RAF) weren't in the same league.

regards
      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Could be to do with the tornado's variable geometry.
        When fully extended, the wing is relatively narrow.

I presume with the wings fully swept back, that air would tend to go around the wing as opposed to being trapped between wing and ground. I think winglets and wing fences can change this.
        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Bet that guy is now 'flying rubber dog s**t out of Hong Kong' at this stage. (As if that was a bad thing, Cathay Pacific pays rather well.)

Frankly I've seen some low passes like that and I'm not talking years ago either. Not so fast though. I have videos but don't ask. I won't post them until he's dead.

GTTC, the Buccaneer issue was a metal fatigue problem and it was solved in due course. It wasn't so much related to showing off as a result of tactical requirements. Interesting story about the Swedes though. Wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Working...
          X