Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  50
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like

Irish in Syria & PR

http://pakedu.net/world-news/united-...server-convoy/

I spotted this clip from a UN video showing an Irish commandant briefing the FC of UNSMIS in Syria two days ago. You will have seen in today's news that the FC's convoy was attacked:

[I]2. SYRIAN ARMY ATTACKS UN MISSION CHIEF'S CONVOY
    by Chana Ya'ar and Reuters

The convoy of Lieutenant-General Babacar Gaye, head of the United Nations observer mission in Syria, was attacked by government forces over the weekend.

Only the vehicles' armor protected them from injury, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a statement on Monday.

"Yesterday the convoy of General Gaye was attacked by army tanks," Ban told reporters in New York. "It's quite fortunate that nobody got injured by these attacks," he commented.

The attack occurred in Talibisa, some 17 kilometers (10.5 miles) from the central city of Homs, according to U.N. officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

More than a dozen armored vehicles used by the observers have been destroyed by government shelling and explosions, Ban said.

The U.N. mission's 90-day mandate, which was set to expire in August, was extended on July 20 for 30 more days. But the mission has been largely suspended due to the impossibility of monitoring in the current dangerous conditions. At best, observers carry out limited activities.

I often wonder why RTE do not make an effort to interview our Military Observers? So much for 'Reporters'. It is much easier to cut and paste reports!

2. Likes Meatbomb, Truck Driver liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I often wonder why RTE do not make an effort to interview our Military Observers?"

One Very SImple Answer - the DF Press Office.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    "I often wonder why RTE do not make an effort to interview our Military Observers?"

That's hardly an obstacle. In any case the media are aware of where our observers are.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember an Irish UNMO being interviewed in East Timor on the radio before the deployment of INTERFET, the town was being attacked at the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think its any badness on the part of RTE- I just think they are totally ignorant of what the DF do and what our members llook like.

The DF Press Office is 10,000,000% better than what it was- they are proactive and approachable and along with the web site the twitter feeds and the other shite (including here) there is no excuse for an RTE Journalist not to know- the DF Press office can only show a person where the jacks is- they are not expected to take the smelly lad out and point it at the bowl for him.

If we compare Dublin Mick to RTE journos- he readily admitted he wanted to learn about the DF thats why he came on here and asked the questions, learned our ways etc- maybe the highly paid prima donna RTE smelly lads can take a lesson from DM.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

7. Likes Buck, Flamingo, hptmurphy, Goldie fish, apod liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my point. We have a very good PR + Info Section now and in fairness they have been good for a long time. Gone are the days when their remit was confined by DoD to football results!

The fact that we have UNMO's in Syria and elsewhere has been flagged. This has been published in the press and seen on TV. It probably is not badness on behalf of RTE but it is laziness and a failure to join the dots. I am sure if any reporter wanted to contact any UNMO anywhere the DF would facilitate. The fact of the matter would seem to be that journalists are lazy and are willing to cut and paste from a central source rather than take any initiative.

This is more than a pity as the resources that DF UNMOS's can provide are very valuable.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    It probably is not badness on behalf of RTE but it is laziness and a failure to join the dots.
    It could also be down to the UN, and the need for a coherent single message to emanate from the organisation. It is highly likely that they simply don't allow observers speak to the media at all in cases like this until after a mission is complete.

10. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes Victor liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    It could also be down to the UN, and the need for a coherent single message to emanate from the organisation. It is highly likely that they simply don't allow observers speak to the media at all in cases like this until after a mission is complete.
    I don't think so. There have been many examples of UNMO interviews. Of course there is a party line to follow but the freedom to grant interviews is pretty normal.
    It does boost the UN's image.

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    The meaning behind my comment is the fact that Journalists/Reporters are not permitted to interview serving DF personnel without permission from the Press Office - and while the Press Office and PR sections of the DF are now far more professional, their hands are still tied by their masters to a certain extent.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understood your meaning but again I don't agree that the press office would be an obstacle. They would be very happy with this interest and exposure and would not be restrained by the bean counters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could it be that sadly, there is a perception in the media that many folks on this fair isle probably couldnt give a toss about the DF unless its a comment such as "sure wha do we need bleedin ships for, cut the bleedin royal irish air force and build hospitals" ? No excuse but its that horrible sinking feeling I get after perusing boards or politics or reading some of the national rags. Sometimes I think that the vast majority of people in Ireland like to walk around without a care in the world nor a notion of whats going on elsewhere in the globe or even on a national level outside of their county.... rant over.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Could it be that sadly, there is a perception in the media that many folks on this fair isle probably couldnt give a toss about the DF unless its a comment such as "sure wha do we need bleedin ships for, cut the bleedin royal irish air force and build hospitals" ? No excuse but its that horrible sinking feeling I get after perusing boards or politics or reading some of the national rags. Sometimes I think that the vast majority of people in Ireland like to walk around without a care in the world nor a notion of whats going on elsewhere in the globe or even on a national level outside of their county.... rant over.
    Add to which the puzzling fact that RTE know all this - Boards, P.ie etc - and don't take even the tinest step to rectify the perceptions.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been pro-DF RTE staff in the past. I recall seeing RTE people making documentaries and radio recordings back in VHS tape days and they used always be on hand to record Air Shows and so on. It's more than a little unfair to say or imply that RTE does not give the DF coverage at home.

regards
    GttC

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    RTE are in a competitive market and are no longer compulsory viewing for all outside the pale as in times past.All media organisatons have to sell and will concentrate on items that generate ratings.Equally the DF have to compete with the market to be considered topical/newsworthy the main diff being the DF is not subject to a rating regime as such and is not under threat from any legal competition.

18. Likes Jungle, Victor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by terrier View Post
    Add to which the puzzling fact that RTE know all this - Boards, P.ie etc - and don't take even the tinest step to rectify the perceptions.
    Think there's a small band on P.ie that try their best to give a balanced view of the DF; I don't do it as often these days because there's only so many times you can explain to someone you can't shear the Army down to four ARW operators and a bomb disposal robot, and not expect a corresponding drop in the quality of the service provided.

20. Likes Flamingo, Buck, apod liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like

News and current affairs still has plenty of stickies hanging around

22. Likes Battletour liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    RTE are in a competitive market and are no longer compulsory viewing for all outside the pale as in times past.All media organisatons have to sell and will concentrate on items that generate ratings.Equally the DF have to compete with the market to be considered topical/newsworthy the main diff being the DF is not subject to a rating regime as such and is not under threat from any legal competition.
    But there is nearly always a " today in Aleppo Syrian Forces bombed an orphanage ...." piece on the RTE News. Wouldn't hurt them to mention the fact that the DF is there monitoring for the UN. Maybe I'm being cynical here, but as there's absolutely no chance whatever of a politician going to Homs for a photo op I suppose the DF 'll have to wait till another "our lads in Lebanon " visit comes up.

24. Likes Battletour, Buck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Well, I am browsing on my tablet, and hit "like this post" by mistake... sausage fingers on small keyboard...
    Anyway, I don't dislike the post, but did not want to hit "like" either...
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

26. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletour View Post
    I often wonder why RTE do not make an effort to interview our Military Observers?
    The may be our soldiers, but they are the UN's military observers.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

28. Likes DeV liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I know, I was one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

They always remain our Soldiers on detachment to the UN-

They (the Soldiers) dont actually work for the UN- they simply do work for the UN- the distinction subtle as it may be, is similar to a person employed by an organisation to work for it as opposed to a person employed by an organisation to do work for it..

If you dont beleive me- then try and sue the UN for anything related to your deployment.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

31. Likes Battletour, Flamingo, hptmurphy, Buck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one seems to have the biggie yet...are RTE even aware that the DF has someone on the ground in country?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    The majority of the media don't care about the DF, it's as simple as that.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

34. Thanks morpheus thanked for this post
    Likes Buck, gibedepusib0ss liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    ...are RTE even aware that the DF has someone on the ground in country?
    RTE's DF correspondent iws ex DF, same class as the majority of current senior officers, and is extremely well aware of, and up to date with, all DF activities. - But reality is, no one esle in the country gives a damn.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    RTE's DF correspondent iws ex DF, same class as the majority of current senior officers, and is extremely well aware of, and up to date with, all DF activities. - But reality is, no one esle in the country gives a damn.
    Excellent summation Rookie.

Thread Information