Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  50
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by terrier View Post
    But there is nearly always a " today in Aleppo Syrian Forces bombed an orphanage ...." piece on the RTE News. Wouldn't hurt them to mention the fact that the DF is there monitoring for the UN. .
    They did today on the newstalk, they were interviewing a guy from Amnesty International, who spoke rather positively about the UN observers mentioning the fact that there were Irish observers over there.

2. Likes SwiftandSure, terrier, DeV liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    They did today on the newstalk, they were interviewing a guy from Amnesty International, who spoke rather positively about the UN observers mentioning the fact that there were Irish observers over there.
    Good. Actually I'm thinking it's probably difficult for the DF actually there to speak in such a sensitive situation. Every statement must have to be scrutinised over and over not to show bias , or to be overtaken by events.

Post Thanks / Like
    But then again there's the element that hate the DF and AGS and will do everything to put them down. A while ago on the Frontline there was the crustiest looking fcucker I have ever seen. She had dreads poking out from under a wooly, rainbow hat perched atop a cosmetic free (cant hurt the animals, man) face, enclosed in a long and frumpy woolen top (free-range, forest friendly, 25 years old, but still good man).

Anyway, I digress...there was a conversation about the DF and this she-crustie chimed in saying something like "and the army even have soldiers in Afghanistan, you know?" as if it was some mad state secret and we had two full brigades out there, instead of seven troops.

My point is that, in my opinion there are three kinds of people out there when it comes to the DF, those who know nothing about them and want to know more, those who don't know and don't care after the deafness claims and then there are the crusties. It's hard convincing groups two and three about the merits of the DF when they are completely against any argument that isn't, as mentioned above, keep four Wingers and an EOD Bot.
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

5. Likes FoxtrotRK liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buck, you don't even have to use crusties as an example of how ignorant or sometimes anti DF the people in this country are. Last year I was unemployed and I went in to the social welfare office to sign off because I was going on annual camp, I told the girl at the counter I was going away with the RDF for the week, she says "whats that", I replied the "FCA" again she says "whats that". So I had to give her a brief lesson on the DF. I know the RDF wouldn't be uppermost in peoples minds when it comes to military affairs but we do St. Patricks Day parades and similar stuff so I thought someone in the public service might have some notion.
    It's all fine and dandy the press office having FB and Flickr pages and a website but I think they should be pushing themselves on the press more to get coverage to show how the DF is participating in missions worldwide to make it's contribution to a better world for everyone.
    Love them or loathe them but the media in the UK get behind their services and give them good coverage.

7. Thanks morpheus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Think this was one of the best pieces of PR done by the DF in recent years. You could make the argument that it's not an effective use of military resources, but for increasing our profile, it's priceless (even if it probably was done as a sop to the Defence Minister of the time). Think there was a video posted here somewhere recently of the ball for an American Football game being delivered by a US Army parachutist?

9. Thanks gibedepusib0ss thanked for this post
    Likes sofa, Shaqra liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another clip on the RTE news tonight showing UNMO's at a suspected mass grave. One UNMO was clearly Irish and of course this was not noticed.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0804/syria.html

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotRK View Post

Think this was one of the best pieces of PR done by the DF in recent years. You could make the argument that it's not an effective use of military resources, but for increasing our profile, it's priceless (even if it probably was done as a sop to the Defence Minister of the time). Think there was a video posted here somewhere recently of the ball for an American Football game being delivered by a US Army parachutist?
    doesn't look like Syria.

and other nations do these heli ball insertions all of the time anyhow so while it's great to see - it's no great innovation.

i want to see Turkeys next move on Syria.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

12. Dislikes ollie, The real Jack, Buck disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    ...and other nations do these heli ball insertions all of the time anyhow so while it's great to see - it's no great innovation.
    Fortunately I never claimed it was?

Post Thanks / Like
    We know the point you were making mate, and we know the context. I agree with you,
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

15. Likes Buck, FoxtrotRK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think this was one of the best pieces of PR done by the DF in recent years.
    other nations do these heli ball insertions all of the time anyhow so while it's great to see - it's no great innovation.
    so what do you mean then, if you claim it's one of the best pieces of PR ever done, while others have been doing it for decades?
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    so what do you mean then, if you claim it's one of the best pieces of PR ever done, while others have been doing it for decades?
    Eh, I don't? I said it was one of the best pieces of PR done by the DF recently.
    Last edited by FoxtrotRK; 5th August 2012 at 16:22.

18. Likes hedgehog liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    In an Irish context, it's precious television exposure.

regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    In an Irish context, it's precious television exposure.

regards
    GttC
    fair one, and it's always great to see, but a bit long in the tooth now for something to be "one of the best pieces of PR done by the DF in recent years", give them some credit.

and what has it got to do with Syria anyhow?
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    fair one, and it's always great to see, but a bit long in the tooth now for something to be "one of the best pieces of PR done by the DF in recent years", give them some credit.

and what has it got to do with Syria anyhow?

MOD: Abusive comments removed.Warning issued.Keep it clean or take it to PM's.
    Last edited by apod; 6th August 2012 at 13:43.

22. Thanks ollie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MOD: Back to the thread please

24. Thanks hedgehog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The lads working in Syria rightly deserve recognition, it stands to the and the whole Irish, the sacrifice they are making so that others may live. The fact the we serve overseas not as empire builders but as peace builders is something that sets us apart.
    The DF PR use of the match ball being delivered in Thomond was a genius way to bring the work of the DF to the unwashed, as Foxtrot quiet clearly said its time we acknowledge that most media sources don't give a toss about us and it's therefore imperative that we publicise our people ourselves.

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    The lads working in Syria rightly deserve recognition, it stands to the and the whole Irish, the sacrifice they are making so that others may live. The fact the we serve overseas not as empire builders but as peace builders is something that sets us apart.
    The DF PR use of the match ball being delivered in Thomond was a genius way to bring the work of the DF to the unwashed, as Foxtrot quiet clearly said its time we acknowledge that most media sources don't give a toss about us and it's therefore imperative that we publicise our people ourselves.
    Perhaps not a small part of the problem is the mentality that can use the derogatory term "unwashed" for what I presume to be the citizens of the Republic. The terminology is significant and, with this is mind it is probably a good thing that the media "do not give a toss" and what goes on on this site is not representative . hh - not at all up to your usual high stanfards.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay on topic

28. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The great unwashed refers to anyone who is not, was not, will never be members of that most honourable grouping- the Defence Forces.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    The great unwashed refers to anyone who is not, was not, will never be members of that most honourable grouping- the Defence Forces.
    Those who are not cleansed by the fire of military service and patriotic duty

31. Likes Goldie fish, hedgehog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MOD: This thread is about the lack of publicity for Irish UNMOs, before you post please decide if you want points or the thread closed

33. Likes ollie liked this post

Thread Information