Irish in Syria & PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    "I often wonder why RTE do not make an effort to interview our Military Observers?"

One Very SImple Answer - the DF Press Office.
    News and current affairs still has plenty of stickies hanging around

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
      RTE are in a competitive market and are no longer compulsory viewing for all outside the pale as in times past.All media organisatons have to sell and will concentrate on items that generate ratings.Equally the DF have to compete with the market to be considered topical/newsworthy the main diff being the DF is not subject to a rating regime as such and is not under threat from any legal competition.
      But there is nearly always a " today in Aleppo Syrian Forces bombed an orphanage ...." piece on the RTE News. Wouldn't hurt them to mention the fact that the DF is there monitoring for the UN. Maybe I'm being cynical here, but as there's absolutely no chance whatever of a politician going to Homs for a photo op I suppose the DF 'll have to wait till another "our lads in Lebanon " visit comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
        RTE are in a competitive market and are no longer compulsory viewing for all outside the pale as in times past.All media organisatons have to sell and will concentrate on items that generate ratings.Equally the DF have to compete with the market to be considered topical/newsworthy the main diff being the DF is not subject to a rating regime as such and is not under threat from any legal competition.
        Well, I am browsing on my tablet, and hit "like this post" by mistake... sausage fingers on small keyboard...
        Anyway, I don't dislike the post, but did not want to hit "like" either...
        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
          I often wonder why RTE do not make an effort to interview our Military Observers?
          The may be our soldiers, but they are the UN's military observers.
          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
            I know, I was one.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post

They always remain our Soldiers on detachment to the UN-

They (the Soldiers) dont actually work for the UN- they simply do work for the UN- the distinction subtle as it may be, is similar to a person employed by an organisation to work for it as opposed to a person employed by an organisation to do work for it..

If you dont beleive me- then try and sue the UN for anything related to your deployment.
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

No one seems to have the biggie yet...are RTE even aware that the DF has someone on the ground in country?
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The majority of the media don't care about the DF, it's as simple as that.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    ...are RTE even aware that the DF has someone on the ground in country?
                    RTE's DF correspondent iws ex DF, same class as the majority of current senior officers, and is extremely well aware of, and up to date with, all DF activities. - But reality is, no one esle in the country gives a damn.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                      RTE's DF correspondent iws ex DF, same class as the majority of current senior officers, and is extremely well aware of, and up to date with, all DF activities. - But reality is, no one esle in the country gives a damn.
                      Excellent summation Rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                        But there is nearly always a " today in Aleppo Syrian Forces bombed an orphanage ...." piece on the RTE News. Wouldn't hurt them to mention the fact that the DF is there monitoring for the UN. .
                        They did today on the newstalk, they were interviewing a guy from Amnesty International, who spoke rather positively about the UN observers mentioning the fact that there were Irish observers over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                          They did today on the newstalk, they were interviewing a guy from Amnesty International, who spoke rather positively about the UN observers mentioning the fact that there were Irish observers over there.
                          Good. Actually I'm thinking it's probably difficult for the DF actually there to speak in such a sensitive situation. Every statement must have to be scrutinised over and over not to show bias , or to be overtaken by events.

Comment

But then again there's the element that hate the DF and AGS and will do everything to put them down. A while ago on the Frontline there was the crustiest looking fcucker I have ever seen. She had dreads poking out from under a wooly, rainbow hat perched atop a cosmetic free (cant hurt the animals, man) face, enclosed in a long and frumpy woolen top (free-range, forest friendly, 25 years old, but still good man).

Anyway, I digress...there was a conversation about the DF and this she-crustie chimed in saying something like "and the army even have soldiers in Afghanistan, you know?" as if it was some mad state secret and we had two full brigades out there, instead of seven troops.

My point is that, in my opinion there are three kinds of people out there when it comes to the DF, those who know nothing about them and want to know more, those who don't know and don't care after the deafness claims and then there are the crusties. It's hard convincing groups two and three about the merits of the DF when they are completely against any argument that isn't, as mentioned above, keep four Wingers and an EOD Bot.
                            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                            He put a bullet through his brain.
                            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Buck, you don't even have to use crusties as an example of how ignorant or sometimes anti DF the people in this country are. Last year I was unemployed and I went in to the social welfare office to sign off because I was going on annual camp, I told the girl at the counter I was going away with the RDF for the week, she says "whats that", I replied the "FCA" again she says "whats that". So I had to give her a brief lesson on the DF. I know the RDF wouldn't be uppermost in peoples minds when it comes to military affairs but we do St. Patricks Day parades and similar stuff so I thought someone in the public service might have some notion.
                              It's all fine and dandy the press office having FB and Flickr pages and a website but I think they should be pushing themselves on the press more to get coverage to show how the DF is participating in missions worldwide to make it's contribution to a better world for everyone.
                              Love them or loathe them but the media in the UK get behind their services and give them good coverage.

Comment

Think this was one of the best pieces of PR done by the DF in recent years. You could make the argument that it's not an effective use of military resources, but for increasing our profile, it's priceless (even if it probably was done as a sop to the Defence Minister of the time). Think there was a video posted here somewhere recently of the ball for an American Football game being delivered by a US Army parachutist?

Comment

Working...
                                X