No announcement yet.

Assessments 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i wonder will they run the assessments in the same format next year?

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      TC's/TI' ARE regularly sent out to all units in the DF via the Intranet.Now.tell me how many RDF Offrs and NCO's check the Intranet or even have access to it ?
      Also you can read about how to do patrol contact drills(for example) all day but their is no substitute for hands on training.TTP's are constantly updating and those who go on the most recent courses pass down the knowledge and handouts/precis as required.
      The latter is the problem, TBH, Apod....
      Last edited by Truck Driver; 24 August 2012, 16:55.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

TC's/TI' ARE regularly sent out to all units in the DF via the Intranet.Now.tell me how many RDF Offrs and NCO's check the Intranet or even have access to it.?
        Also you can read about how to do patrol contact drills(for example) all day but their is no substitute for hands on training.TTP's are constantly updating and those who go on the most recent courses pass down the knowledge and handouts/precis as required.

That is the theory of what should happen I would think but in reality it doesn't allied to the fact that only a chosen few get to go on courses. Earlier on this year I made enquiries about a certain course and asked to considered if it was on but never heard a thing until I went on camp to find out the course did run. The notification of the course being on was not passed to our unit.

Comment

• With regard to the RDF we cannot fix your unit politics ( my experience is usually that the communication HAS reached the unit and it enters limbo while someone, usually with a green beret, decides to be part of the problem ).

However - that is not to say we cannot help. You won't find confidential info here but what is wrong with a PM to one of the mods ? If we don't know the answer one of the others can probably find out ( ve haff ways ) and let you know with a quiet word.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Or a glen without a red patch.

Comment

• Originally posted by cplmick View Post
              [/COLOR][/B]
              That is the theory of what should happen I would think but in reality it doesn't allied to the fact that only a chosen few get to go on courses. Earlier on this year I made enquiries about a certain course and asked to considered if it was on but never heard a thing until I went on camp to find out the course did run. The notification of the course being on was not passed to our unit.
              Are you honestly telling me that NO young redarse Cpl or Sgt has ever turned around and said "we were shown a new way on my course"?? They probably have only to be told to be quiet as the seniors new better as "thats how we always do it".
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Apologies Apod....meant to like your post. I've had some experiences of that situation of bringing new ideas back to the unit and told, well that's not how we do it.....!
                Last edited by thedollar; 24 August 2012, 23:46.
                Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Are you honestly telling me that NO young redarse Cpl or Sgt has ever turned around and said "we were shown a new way on my course"?? They probably have only to be told to be quiet as the seniors new better as "thats how we always do it".
                  Yep, every year things change slightly when it comes to procedures for SIAs, PIAs etc, with lots of people having been taught different ways of doing things, personally I welcome being told theres a newer way of doing things and go along with it, until someone comes along and wants you to go back to doing it the older way again.

But isn't that part of the assessments, teaching the older NCO's newer ways of doing things and giving the younger NCO's a taste of being an i/c or 2i/c of a section and being mentored at the same time so you can be told where you got it right/wrong...

its a constant learning process

Comment

That's about the size of it.

Trellheim, In the situation I mentioned I honestly don't know who stopped the info coming down the line, when I enquired one black beret blamed another black beret but I suspect a green beret was involved somewhere too.

Comment

• Re. "if it aint raining it aint training" and "PDF would have slept out in a hurricane" bla bla bla. On a PDF coy exercise during the week, weather wasn't as bad as what was forecast during assessments but still horrific on Tuesday night, when the rain started falling more than 50% of the Bods(P&R/DF) legged it to Vehicles/Tents for the night and stags were abandoned. Bods that had no bivi bags would have been hospitalised in the morning if they'd stayed out so it was common sense to seek proper shelter. Ditto if you had a bad spot for your bivi.
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
                        But isn't that part of the assessments, teaching the older NCO's newer ways of doing things and giving the younger NCO's a taste of being an i/c or 2i/c of a section and being mentored at the same time so you can be told where you got it right/wrong...

its a constant learning process
                        In the new format yes, the format probably had to changed though due to units not preparing (and training) their personnel adequately.

Remember it is an assessment of where the brigades/units are at!

Comment

• 33bn in action...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

33bn in action...
                            That wasn't the assessments, maybe 50% of the bods on the assessments were there for that.
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                            X