No announcement yet.

Chief of Staff takes wife to Finland on official visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubtless Mary Lou will raise a DaĆ­l Question about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmigs View Post
      Thanks userfriendly2, your post wasnt there when i posted. Im not sure what happened there.
      As a new poster userfriendly2's posts are moderated and have to be approved by a Mod/Admin. In this case the post was not approved until after your post was posted (as happened again later!)
      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Dexter, it's regarded as par for the course for senior types to bring their wives because in effect, it's a diplomatic visit between two friendly countries that have served together. I'll bet you that the spouses of the senior Finnish military and politicos will be there, because it's regarded as part of the job description, being the wife of a senior soldier. If it greases the wheels a little further, on an already good level of cooperation, then it can only have positive implications for further work with the Finns, at military/political/UN level.
        You could literally spends hours telling stories about the unfairness of the DF but equally, you could spend hours telling stories about the cushy bits and the craic and the inhouse stuff that civvies won't ever share. It works both ways.

regards
        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          Wouldn't be that strange, Guy I know had to shell out to get a flight home from Liberia after his partner lost a baby...took him two years and shit load of badgering to get the money back.
          As bad as it sounds the army were under no obligation whatsoever to reimburse that lad. I'm surprised he actually got the money back. A senior NCO with the 106 had a similar situation involving his partner back at home and had to apply for S/Leave and as a gesture of good will there was a whip-around done and all the lads out of his coy donated 10 dollars. That was to cover the flights home coz the army weren't gonna do it.
          MINGI BREAD

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
            As a new poster userfriendly2's posts are moderated and have to be approved by a Mod/Admin. In this case the post was not approved until after your post was posted (as happened again later!)
            Makes sense, cheers Vickers.

Comment

[QUOTE=GoneToTheCanner;378456]Dexter, it's regarded as par for the course for senior types to bring their wives because in effect, it's a diplomatic visit between two friendly countries that have served together. I'll bet you that the spouses of the senior Finnish military and politicos will be there, because it's regarded as part of the job description, being the wife of a senior soldier. If it greases the wheels a little further, on an already good level of cooperation, then it can only have positive implications for further work with the Finns, at military/political/UN level.
              You could literally spends hours telling stories about the unfairness of the DF but equally, you could spend hours telling stories about the cushy bits and the craic and the inhouse stuff that civvies won't ever share. It works both ways.

Absolutely agree with you - it is par for the course for the Grupenfuhers to bring the old ball and chain, and as many can testify sitting around surrounded by Female Finnish soldiers is not exactly breaking rocks, my point however is that everyone has to swing up the arms with regard to all the reorg/cutbacks/recession talk and it is disappointing to see that the COS is simply carrying on what went on before. Without shite stirring I ask myself would Big Dermot have done the same thing? my experience of both COS is that one was a leader and one was a COS, I'll leave you figure out which is which. Lead by example is all that I am saying, but as Hedge has suggested I wouldn't be surprised if the COS is lurking on the site stirring it up so he can't bring the ball and chain to the land of the Winter War!

Comment

Quite how they decide that making aircraft available to repatriate civvies from hotspots is do-able yet doing the same for a soldier who's suffered a personal tragedy is not, is beyond me. Those soldiers must not have been photogenic enough.

regards
                GttC

Comment

Originally posted by dexter View Post
                  Bull, its never alright to bring the spouse on foreign trips - that is why the system in this country is screwed, because we turn a blind eye to things like the COS bringing his wife on a mingy trip. In his defence, he is simply doing what many politicians and senior civil servants do and milking the system, it doesn't mean its right, If the FInns are paying for it then fair enough,but if we are paying for it then it should not be tolerated. Our leaders are supposed to lead by example and seeing as our elected officials seem to have a fairly flexible attitude to leading by example, then our leaders in the DF should do it. Speaking of crimes against the public purse I seem to remember a few years back a certain FF Minister visiting the troops in KFOR and himself and his cronies refused to stay in Camp Clarke, insisting on being put up in a hotel in downtown Pristina instead. This was shortly after the Finnish MOD, COS and a rake of other civil servants on an evaluation trip stayed in the transit accommodation in Camp Ville, there they lived with the troops, queued for their grub with the troops and baring the obvious ceremonial crap received no special attention at all from the Finn Contingent. Didn't happen with the Irish, our lot were too busy playing the Raj card and expecting to be treated like bloody royalty. So when people make the point that it is as cheap to fly two as it is to fly one person on a minty trip, I think they are missing the point - our leaders should lead by example and if that means not taking the OC Home Brigade on a mingy trip to the land of pea soup and pancakes then suck it up, leave her at home, head on over, do the job your paid to do and then get your arse home!
                  Well said Dexter, anything being paid from the public purse only covers the public representative in question, spouse/partner should pay from own pocket
                  Even in my case, where I would be entitled to a return flight home very so often (depending on location), while on assignment abroad, if I bring out Mrs TD,
                  and the company pay for the flight, I forfeit my own return flight home, in this instance. Fair is fair...

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  What if Mrs COS is a right bowler, and we know that Finish women especially the military birds are normally quite cute and looser than a bird pretending she s a nurse in CFJ.

Would it be safe to assume that Almazza is the Chief himself and is trying to stir up controversory so he can say to Mrs COS, hard luck me old Rhino you have to stay at home and hunt truffles while I head off and chase some Heidis and Helgas.
                  Hedgie, you're a bad, bad man....
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

As bad as it sounds the army were under no obligation whatsoever to reimburse that lad. I'm surprised he actually got the money back
                    His father in Law, an ex driver of Officers Commanding a certain unit, accosted one of his former 'charges' and 'talked' him into having the refund made,

The refund was made within a few days in the form of a cheque !...and not through payroll.

I only know because the father in law is a neighbour of mine and had been chasing the case for some time!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

So TD if there is an invatation to an official state function sent for Mr X and Partner.
                      Since "and partner" is not as state employee she doesn't go unless she pays for herself?

Now seriously do you think the MD of the company you work for doesn't charge the company when he brings the missus on work trips?

Its just the usuall, the higher up you gothe more perks you get.
                      You are obviously not high enough up the ladder to have your missus considered important enough to be transported at the companies expence!!!

And as for Hedggie's comment.
                      Having the missus along would be also protecting the DF asset.
                      Just think of the cost of all the training etc that would have been invested in the man. It would all be lost if he ran off with some hot tottie!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saab View Post
                        So TD if there is an invatation to an official state function sent for Mr X and Partner.
                        Since "and partner" is not as state employee she doesn't go unless she pays for herself?
                        Now, you're being a knob, Saab. That's not what I meant, and you know it.... obviously if the invite is for "Mr X and partner"
                        then it is taken that "partner" is representing the State at the overseas function also...
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Now this is what you said

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          Well said Dexter, anything being paid from the public purse only covers the public representative in question, spouse/partner should pay from own pocket
                          There is little room to interpret this any other way!!

The COS's wife is not a state employee. she represents no one "officailly" but herself.

So if I am being a nob, I take it that you now disagree with your own post.
                          Last edited by Saab; 29 August 2012, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Saab View Post
                            Now this is what you said

There is little room to interpret this any other way!!

The COS's wife is not a state employee. she represents no one "officailly" but herself.

So if I am being a nob, I take it that you now disagree with your own post.
                            Nobody elected Martin McAleese, but as the spouse of the president, his presence was as important as hers.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Nobody elected Martin McAleese, but as the spouse of the president, his presence was as important as hers.
                              And Celia Larken

I was fecking joking
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                and celia larken

i was fecking joking

:-d :-d

Comment

Working...
                                X