Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Which is a bit of a waste
    Yeh its a great shame that there isn't an admin/staff/int type of stream. But the AC is too small and the establishment is what it is, and the career path is pot luck for many guys.

Comment

I don't know what they call the units now but Admin Wing, Tech Wing and Training Wing had permanent non-pilot Adjs. They weren't retreaded failed cadets but transferred Army line officers (one guy refused to wear AC badges for years and kept his crossed rifles, until he was given a very public bollicking about same) or fellas who went directly to the Don from cadet school as line personnel (very few but it happened). The only pilot on the books of Tech Wing was the nominal Engineering pilot, whose function was to test aircraft after overhaul. This was a bit of a floating post, ie, whoever was around from BFTS or Gormo did the air test, but it did exist on the Establishment of Tech Wing......with regard to line officers, some were dumped in the Don for transgressions elsewhere and others volunteered to get away from Army line units. The Don is quite different from the Army way of doing things and it did appeal to some and not others.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        I don't know what they call the units now but Admin Wing, Tech Wing and Training Wing had permanent non-pilot Adjs. They weren't retreaded failed cadets but transferred Army line officers (one guy refused to wear AC badges for years and kept his crossed rifles, until he was given a very public bollicking about same) or fellas who went directly to the Don from cadet school as line personnel (very few but it happened). The only pilot on the books of Tech Wing was the nominal Engineering pilot, whose function was to test aircraft after overhaul. This was a bit of a floating post, ie, whoever was around from BFTS or Gormo did the air test, but it did exist on the Establishment of Tech Wing......with regard to line officers, some were dumped in the Don for transgressions elsewhere and others volunteered to get away from Army line units. The Don is quite different from the Army way of doing things and it did appeal to some and not others.
        Thats quite a bit older then even my info..

Comment

All the hierarchies/establishments tended to be a kind of straight lift from the RAF, modded to suit the Don until the change to 101 Sqn and all that. It was all quite basic and old-fashioned. When I transferred from Training Wing to Engr. Wing, after four years, I picked up a cardboard Personal file, my LA 30 and my Clothing Form and walked the hundred yards from the Aptce School admin prefab to Engr Wing's 1930s wooden hut and handed the lot to the Orderly Room Sgt. I was already six months in the hangar but this was the paper transfer and he rang the prefab I had just left, said "he's ours now" and wrote my name on a whiteboard in a little slot on the Establishment. I was then sent to the QM to hand in my Clothing File. So, I was now officially in Engr. Wing. The same ritual was carried out by my classmates, all 47 of us. Sad thing was, quite a few collected their educational certs from the School, confirmed that they were now qualified techs and their apprenticeship was over and promptly handed in their papers to buy themselves out. Four years to the day. Four years later, 12 left....30 years later, there's three left. Wasn't exactly a shining light of retention.

Comment

An EC135 on an Inland Fisheries patrol.

"After a lifetime researching our waterways, Dr Martin O'Grady is retiring. Irish Independent photographer Mark Condren joined him for his final flight with the Air Corps."

He's had a bird's eye view of Ireland - and especially its many lakes and rivers - for the past 25 years.

Comment

An Air Corps EC135 carrying out a Medevac this morning on Croagh Patrick.

Attached Files

Comment

Ah yes, the annual march of the lemmings.
                Interesting that the Air Corps fuel truck, with the hi-viz rear markings, also has the low light driving marker.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

i very vaguely remember being in convoy with it at one point for an ex .

Why is an EC135 doing that and not an IRCG bird ?
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post

Because it's religious?
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Presumably because it is a day long tasking

Comment

the point being ... ?
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Presumably because it is a day long tasking
                          You might have answered a question I was about to ask .....

Was the refuelling truck and the EC135 on standby close to Croagh Patrick for the day?

I had assumed the EC135 had come from Baldonnel
                          Last edited by Orion; 30 July 2017, 21:31. Reason: far too many llllls

Comment

the point being ... ?
                            The Silgo IRCG helo would be unavailable for other taskings

Comment

RESCUE118 & ECHO 271 were on call there today. RESCUE118 brought someone off there in the morning to UH Galway.

Comment

There are so many casualties to be taken from the reek every year for this event it is better to keep the heli dedicated, nearby.
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                                X