Allowances, RDF Fuel Allowance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowances, RDF Fuel Allowance?

My understanding is that I as a member of the RDF use my own vehicle to get to and from training and cannot claim a fuel allowance.

but, what if I drive out of my way to facilitate someone elses attendance due to the fact that we no longer have any transport available to collect members. So in effect I am not driving straight from my home to the barracks, but from my home, to someone elses and from there to the barracks.

Can in these circumstances, i claim for fuel? possibly using the AF180A subsistence form?

Does anyone here know?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Officers can claim mileage for some circumstances.

Comment

The only fuel allowance I've come across is PO Car, for RDF Officers.

Haven't heard of any other form of allowance.

Facilitated Transport from Units to the Unit address is a local arrangement, never obligatory.

Comment

Mileage can be claimed by all ranks BUT NOT to get to barracks on a routine trip ; this is what the Grat is for. Mileage can only be claimed on authorized trips if military transport is not available. Very very few trips qualify for this - for example travelling to an All Army competition. However there is nearly always Mil Tpt travelling to these things so these days awesomely rare.

In addition the car must be indemnified to the Minister and you need to get this from your insurer which normally knocks up your premium and risk factor a good bit - again a knockback. This is why RDF mileage is thin on the ground atm.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

From the legal (accounting) point of view, the mileage situation is simple. You cannot claim it for going to your normal place of work. However if your duties require you to travel to another location, you can claim this mileage if so authorised.
          This is where the officers claiming mileage would come in. OC of unit travels to sub unit location for inspection, can claim mileage if authorised to do so. Same rules apply to the gardai. I was transferred to the border, but could not claim travel from limerick to cavan. However I could claim travel from the station to the checkpoint.

In theory, therefore, if you were travelling from barracks to the range, and official transport was not available, you could be entitled to claim mileage.
          Once the DF has authorised you to do so of course.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

In addition the car must be indemnified to the Minister and you need to get this from your insurer which normally knocks up your premium and risk factor a good bit
            Not neccessarily, its a requirment for claiming expenses for the HSE also , me I refuse to do so as it exempts the minister in the case of me having an accident while driving my own car while at work and why should I do that.

(a) I can then insist on transport to be provided
            (b) I don't have to go to events which bore the arse off me!

but, what if I drive out of my way to facilitate someone elses attendance due to the fact that we no longer have any transport available to collect members

Your choice, you are not obliged to carry anyone, and as for getting to training, thats up to you unless......you have been detailed to provide or attend training out of your location and transport has not been provided.

We had a guy on a shooting team some years ago , transport left bks early and we were travelling to finner, he drove in his own car to finner and back, and was able to claim subsistence for the 48hrs as he had travelled independently of the transport supplied because someone else had fcuked up the arrangments. As usual it took about 6 months to get it back, but he got it.

The Civil Defence instructors who provide training beyond their own area claim mileage and given the variety of course and training nights outside centres it adds up to quite a handsome some, mate of mine changes his car every year on the strenght of it.
            Last edited by hptmurphy; 15 November 2012, 13:39.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I'm sure your mate will sort you out with a few euro when the grat is paid next month.

After all, that's what it's for.
              I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
              Who is number 1?

Comment

He aint changin his car on the back of CD instructor allowance... def not, the mileage aint all that either.

Comment

Working...
                X