Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck View Post
    Would it kill them to even consider it?
    Which do you think has more clout at the cabinet table? IBEC or the RDF. IBEC don't want it - that is the end of the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
      Which do you think has more clout at the cabinet table? IBEC or the RDF. IBEC don't want it - that is the end of the discussion.
      I know that but seriously. If the DF was considering a viable RDF then employment protection is the only way to go. It seems they aren't.
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
        What would employment protection give you that you haven't already?
        Me personally? Nothing, I'm unemployed sadly. But for those in full time employment it would give them a chance to actually work with the army and be under no threat of losing a job/being in the bad books with the boss because "ah shur I was away with da fca there for the week"

Comment

I should add that most who actually want the org to do well don't go on like that

Comment

What would employment protection give you that you haven't already?
            Not having to choose between having a holiday or fulfilling my reserve commitment

Comment

Did anyone ask IBEC? Has anyone surveyed employers? Or even put forward a proposal for employment protection to gather feedback to see if it's viable?

Probably not.

Was that even suggested in the VFM? No.

Comment

Would have been nice if they looked at the RMR rather than the TA. A bit more comparable size wise.
                7000 regular self sufficient, incl their own heli air wing. 700 -1000 reservists comprising of a mixture of ex regular and straight from civilian.
                Looks to be a success story. 60% have served on combat operations, or in full time service.

In terms of kpi's they pass the same bench marks as their regular counter parts. Even wear the same beret (when earned of course)

Much more required in terms of committment but are rewarded for it with mileage and all aspect of training paid ( apart from their personal duty to meet the fitness standard)

Personnaly I prefer quality over quantity. If it takes someone half the time to learn something and still meets the same bench mark I will not judge negatively because they havent the "time" done. More respect to them IMO.

Personnally I think it's insulting to ask for professionalism and give nothing in return by asking professionals in civilian life to provide pro bono services to the Df. Last time I checked we were not a charity
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                  Personnally I think it's insulting to ask for professionalism and give nothing in return by asking professionals in civilian life to provide pro bono services to the Df. Last time I checked we were not a charity
                  This.

A 24 hour duty in general is utter shite... Asking someone to do one, for free, is nothing short of madness.

A question, who made the decision when it came to which option to take? As in the 4000 troops with no grat but rural centres, or the 2000 odd troops, with grat and occupied barracks only? Whoever did, really did make the wrong decision in my opinion.

Comment

Haven't seen anything about whether relocated units will be provided transport to their new locations for parading/training...
                    "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                      At the end of the week/month have a look at your payslip, look at the amount of PAYE,PRSI & USC you are handing over and then think of this line from the VFM report "In addition members of the Reserve with professional skills from their civilian lives should be afforded the opportunity to assist the PDF in a voluntary unpaid capacity."
                      Ah FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting a little sick of this crap.

Not the gov crap but the IMO whinger crap!!!

There are hundreds of posts on this site whinging about recognition of skills but as soon as a report comes out saying that skills should not only be recognised but actually utillised the whingers jump up objecting!!!

IF you are a bus driver why shouldn't you drive a bus for the RDF.
                      This is just more of the I want to play by my rules??
                      I onlty want to train at what I want to do.

Finally the MA has to say what can the RDF do for us?
                      How can they be useful?
                      For the first time there might be a real purpose but the nay sayers have started already.
                      We can't do that becase............................

EVERY recommendation in that report has been voiced here.
                      The bottom line was always going to be to reduce costs. Anyone that doesn't like it can now go away.
                      You already know that the MA wont care.

As for job protection, when is it going to become clear - IT's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. So give it up!!!!

Comment

Having less holidays is one of the costs of being a reservist.
                        I don't know what your job is or your holiday allowance is but I have spent many years working in jobs that provided the statutory minimum which is currently 20 days. Now, you are not free to choose how those 20 days are spent. The companies I worked for tended to shut down at Christmas so 4 days of your holiday allowance had to be used then, there by leaving me with 16 days, also Good Friday is not a statutory holiday so that was another day of your allowance gone. That leaves 15 days to complete your reserve training and have holidays. So if you are only doing 1 week it is achievable leaving you with 2 weeks for the rest of the year. If you have to do a course that is 2 weeks then it puts a significant strain on your allocated leave. Then if you throw in family requirements puttng demands on those days.

Comment

Why not drive a bus for the DF? Because even though the DF has said they will they will recognise civvy skills you still need to do at least 3 driving courses before getting the bus driving course!

I've done at least 7 days (think the most I did was 21) every year since I joined and always used my annual leave (in the most of that time I only got 20 days hols).

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                            If the DF was considering a viable RDF then employment protection is the only way to go.
                            How do Retained Firefighters, Mountain Rescue Teams, RNLI operate? Do any of them have anything like employment protection?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                              How do Retained Firefighters, Mountain Rescue Teams, RNLI operate? Do any of them have anything like employment protection?
                              Truthfully I have no idea. But I would imagine that they do.

Comment

Guy's if you look at the press release on the rte news website this is the second last paragraph in relation to the unpaid duties. http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1120/sha...ing-by-50.html

The measures also recommend that further cost-savings be achieved by using reserves to carry out unpaid duties to assist members of the permanent defence forces. However these unpaid duties will not include armed operations.

Comment

Working...
                                X