Post VFM- What now for the RDFRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I didn't realise the RDFRA was a part time organisation. At what times is it available to represent the members then?
    Don't be daft Goldie. You know full well the ONLY full time position in RDFRA is that of General Secretary...

I don't know how it works for PDFORRA/RACO - whether their admin functions are done by folks seconded full time
    from the PDF
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The main appointments are seconded

Comment

Can anybody tell me why RDFRA recieved 316,200 euro from the Dept during 2006-2011?
        :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Originally posted by flash bang View Post
          Can anybody tell me why RDFRA recieved 316,200 euro from the Dept during 2006-2011?
          It is a subvention from the DOD, PDFORRA and RACO receive subventions as well, to go towards running the organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            The main appointments are seconded
            The PDFORRA GS and deputy GS are seconded positions, they also have 4 full time staff.

Comment

What did it buy? Where are their accounts available to view?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Here we go.........

It's published at the ADC/BDC

Comment

so why do we pay membership?
                  :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

I assume because the organisation costs more to run than the membership want to pay (given that they vote on the subscription rates).

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Here we go.........

It's published at the ADC/BDC
                      And available to view at their office, they're obviously too busy to stick them on the interweb and refuse to email them.
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        What did it buy?
                        Stationary (all those 1000s of newletters that they send out every 3 months cost money......Hold on, wait a min???)

Then there is the cost of doing up those reports that no one wants.

Last edited by Docman; 28 November 2012, 02:18.

Comment

RDFRA have posted a response on their site, basically complaining they didnt have enough time to digest it (which they didnt) and asking their bde committees for feedback.

As regular visitors to this site will know I've never had much time for RDFRA and when I was a reservist I called on other members to leave the organisation as it wasnt serving the interests of all of its members. One could say that now senior appointments are on the chopping block RDFRA is up in arms, unlike the raw deal on grat that privates were sold a few years back.

It is important to note that the treatment of RDFRA, the officially sanctioned representative body, during this process is a measure of how the DOD,MA,PDF etc view anyone who wears a green beret. From the VFM report they concede they gave strong thought to getting rid of the reserve. I'd bet my bottom dollar this was only refused because some General didnt want to go to a OSCE/PFP type meeting and have to answer why Ireland is the only developed country without any sort of reserve or contingency. The years of service, free time given up etc didnt count for squat with this process.

As I see it RDFRA has 3 main options

1. Take the 3 fingered prostate exam with no jelly from the DOD/MA and fall into line with the report recommendations, looking for some concessions with regard to pay and kit for the slimmed down reserve.

2. Do an alternative VFM,forcing purely on the RDF, unlike the leaked document that looked at PDF numbers. The VFM is out now, there could be strong counter arguments to its proposals. Putting them into the public domain showing "we can still save €X and retain Y" might be of some use.

3. Consider the disdain that the DoD/MA have for the reserve and call for all members of RDFRA to leave the reserve and join organisations such as the CD, RNLI or Garda Reserve, organisations/people who might understand and properly appreciate what volunteers do and actually give you a worthwhile role. While it wont gather much headlines here the people within the Defence community could notice this and might ask some pointed questions when having to deal with the DoD/PDF in the future.

I've no idea what they will come up with now, they are torn between wanting to be part of the military structure of the country and wanting to be treated with respect and really getting neither. They are like that battered wife who stays with the thug who beats her up "because I love him..."
                          You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Very good response.

Im not a member purely because of the cost, i think it should be an annual subscription and not the % of pay deal.

Anyway, i must say i feel a little sorry for them, battered by the PDF, VFM, Members and Non members and Exers... everywhere they turn its a fist to the face!
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I think they should bin that facebook page or at least have it as a closed group. Some of the shite/insults etc on it are a disgrace, showing everyone in the worst light.

Comment

Unfortunately RDFRA are, to a lot of PDF, the public face of the RDF and are seen, falsely, as being representative of the majority of Reservists opinions.

With the Mutiny earlier this year, the leaking of Restricted Army orders in September, political agitation through ministers Qs and the uncontrolled embarrassing Facebook page, it would be understandable that the Army would view the Reserve as a Mutinous, uncontrolled rabble as that is the impression that RDFRA give off.

One has to wonder why the Govt even gave them any notice of the VFM at all.

Then you have this latest RDFRA document which adds insult to injury and you have to question whether this is an organisation that you want people thinking is representative of you.

Most Reservists have no idea where their money to RDFRA is going and what it is doing on their behalf (newsletters don't mention anything about the current policies of RDFRA, assuming you even see a newsletter).

I have no sympathy for RDFRA - they have brought the whol thing down on their heads - unfortunately they are doing it to us as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X