• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    What?

Use your words Dev.
    No troops missions overseas

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
      Any Minister who believes we should be doing more than going back to the Leb for the billionth time, is doing something right in my books.
      Doing more? You mean less.
      What's your problem with Lebanon?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Even if it means go troop missions overseas?
        i'm assuming you mean 'no troop missions..' and i'm not poking, my spelling is so bad its a wonder anyone can read it - anyway, i suppose it depends: if his view is that ONH needs restructuring, training in its new structures, and possibly some new bits of shiny, and then he intends to use it overseas in a harder, sharper way than it has been used since Congo in the 60's, then i think that a hiatus in overseas jobs is understandable, though i think that operational service, of almost any kind, is a fundamental part of keeping an Army sharp and evolving, rather than being barracks bound and paralysed by inertia.

if however his view is that he thinks a harder, sharper ONH can be created while ending large scale operational deployments and just using ARW as the govts 'go to' foreign policy tool, then i think he's going to get a nasty shock when the money spent on making ONH more combat capable gets atrophied by sitting at home.

i hope that the current situation will, both as ONH settles down into its new configuration, and as the 'resources envelope' gets less tight, see ONH start to flex its new found muscles with participation in big EU/NATO exercises, and then move back into operational deployments and pick up where it left off in Chad, but with more rounded force structures including Artillery and helicopter deployments, as well as finally sending the NS on an operational overseas deployment.

the truth is that for political reasons he may well not be able to sketch such a plan out in public, and i accept that it may not infact be the plan, but for the moment its the best that can be hoped for.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          completed 4 of the missions you list above and spent 6 years in Cyprus - thankfully none of those involved my hands tied behind my back wearing the 'Blue Beret' of the UN.

there is a big difference to a UN mandated mission (most involves war fighting) where you get to wear your own beret and a UN mission (most involves peace keeping) where you wear that of the UN.
          6 years in Cyprus protecting the SBA, not keeping the peace between the 2 sides!

Definite differences but what is the cause? The mandate decided by the US, Russia, UK, France & China!

The other major difference being who picks up the bill!

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
          i'm assuming you mean 'no troop missions..' and i'm not poking, my spelling is so bad its a wonder anyone can read it - anyway, i suppose it depends: if his view is that ONH needs restructuring, training in its new structures, and possibly some new bits of shiny, and then he intends to use it overseas in a harder, sharper way than it has been used since Congo in the 60's, then i think that a hiatus in overseas jobs is understandable, though i think that operational service, of almost any kind, is a fundamental part of keeping an Army sharp and evolving, rather than being barracks bound and paralysed by inertia.

if however his view is that he thinks a harder, sharper ONH can be created while ending large scale operational deployments and just using ARW as the govts 'go to' foreign policy tool, then i think he's going to get a nasty shock when the money spent on making ONH more combat capable gets atrophied by sitting at home.

i hope that the current situation will, both as ONH settles down into its new configuration, and as the 'resources envelope' gets less tight, see ONH start to flex its new found muscles with participation in big EU/NATO exercises, and then move back into operational deployments and pick up where it left off in Chad, but with more rounded force structures including Artillery and helicopter deployments, as well as finally sending the NS on an operational overseas deployment.

the truth is that for political reasons he may well not be able to sketch such a plan out in public, and i accept that it may not infact be the plan, but for the moment its the best that can be hoped for.
          Here is an example of a speech - http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/Sp...0?OpenDocument

No where does it say that Ireland will lead the way in the EU

Comment

its that if you're wearing a dark green uniform in 45c of blinding sunlight in the desert you'll be sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish shop, and you'll stick out like the bollocks on a bulldog. neither of which are good for military efficiency...
            that's why it looks chippy and it's wrong.

granted the Royal Irish lads look like cowboys but that's par for the course when wearing the issued junglie - the ONH soldier doesn't even have a complete matching uniform.
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              ...No where does it say that Ireland will lead the way in the EU
              one would assume that if Shatter, and Kenny, had no intention of being involved in such things, they'd be keeping their holes shut on the subject so as not to draw attention to it.

they'd be pretty dumb to make the kind of speeches you've posted if the intention was to do squat and go nowhere... why take political heat from the soap-dodgers and shinners for no reason?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                that's why it looks chippy and it's wrong.

granted the Royal Irish lads look like cowboys but that's par for the course when wearing the issued junglie - the ONH soldier doesn't even have a complete matching uniform.
                Still don't know if "chippy" means good or bad...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

one would assume that if Shatter, and Kenny, had no intention of being involved in such things, they'd be keeping their holes shut on the subject so as not to draw attention to it.

they'd be pretty dumb to make the kind of speeches you've posted if the intention was to do squat and go nowhere... why take political heat from the soap-dodgers and shinners for no reason?
                  They do so all the time!!!

Due to the EU Presidency they are talking on behalf of the EU, not Ireland. They call upon the members states to do X, Y and Z (that doesn't necessarily involve Ireland).

Same way the UNSC calls for eg a UN force in DRC and then don't provide any troops.

Comment

they should be taking an interest they are national politicians responsible for taxpayers money and their security but fair dues I could not see the likes of Ivan Yates ( when he was a TD) there.. Also true about let those without bellys but there are a few pounds and a belly ,, thay are bellies but I guess just look at the general pub;lic , second most obese nation in the europe I think .next to the UK .
                    Living and working in places where a either a combination of good weather, sports culture, lack of food, general skinnies etc results in me always noticing when I first come "home " the beer guts , even on the vodka swilling women..
                    No pictures please .

Comment

The UN has agreed to a 11200 strong peacekeeping mission in Mali. It will be called Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in Mali (MINUSMA). Basically the AFISMA force will be giving blue berets. The change over will be on 1st July. The UN have already started shipping equipment over.

Comment

The MINUSMA website is already up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                          The UN has agreed to a 11200 strong peacekeeping mission in Mali. It will be called Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in Mali (MINUSMA). Basically the AFISMA force will be giving blue berets. The change over will be on 1st July. The UN have already started shipping equipment over.
                          Plus troops from UNOCI and UNMIL

Comment

Getting the job done french style!

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                              Getting the job done french style!
                              Yes, check out this piece:

Europe's army? Guess what, it's the French

I've always been interested in the French army's ability to speed elite forces into foreign operations with a unique blend of stylish panache and secrecy.

You'll have seen the latest example in France's current operation in Mali against al-Qaeda linked insurgents who, back in January, were threatening to take over the beleaguered sub-Sahara nation.

There, in quick sequence, you had sharply tailored French units arriving and the world's media given brief photo-ops of the first moves toward combat in the country's rugged north.

Malians seemed grateful, the UN approved, French pride soared.

It was an impressive display. Then, right on cue, the curtain of secrecy slammed down.

More at link.
                              "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Whats the story on any French casualties?

Comment

Working...
                                X