Mali.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
    Interesting aside on BBC Radio 4 news, although they have suitable patrol vehicles and UAV’s, they have no integrated helicopter support...
    The RAF do however have 3 Chinooks supporting the separate French counter terrorism op

Alledgedly they will make them available not sure how that works with the UN

Comment

• The UN will happily take what they can get. The nature of the formation has been under 'concerned discussion' within defence for some time, though there are quite legitimate arguments (within UK defence) one the side of the current force structure.

The UN is not fussy where it's support comes from, it doesn't sit around clutching it's pearls and scrutinising all elements of force contribution for anything that isn't perfect.

Comment

• More French casualties in Mali.

BBC News - Sahel conflict: Two French soldiers killed in Mali
        It brings the number of French troops killed in the Sahel conflict against Islamist militants to 50.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• The sahel region has really had a horrible week 5 french soilders dead in 2 IED attacks in mali and just across the border in niger 100 plus dead on 2 attacks on 2 villages, I think we will see in the future larger deployments from the EU after covid dies down.

Comment

• More than 200 soldiers from the 2nd Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment and 1st The Queen’s Dragoon Guards have intensified preparations for their United Nations deployment to Mali. They leave at the end of May but are completing the final part of their training in Norfolk.
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Irish troops serving in Mali narrowly dodge al qaeda suicide bomb attack

Exclusive: The Irish soldiers –members of the elite Ranger Wing – were out on patrol when the attack was launched, although several of their German colleagues were injured, three seriously

Comment

• ARW deployment to MINUSMA to end this year with possible replacement by infantry troops and redeployment elsewhere

Germany is currently looking at pulling out of Mali
                Germany would not rule out transferring its military mission in Mali to another country if the danger is too great, Defence Minister Christine Lambrecht said Sunday (19 December).

Comment

• I would like to believe that whatever capacity they do send will be adequately equipped, the pre deployment training should be extensive and would start in the very near future. Also I do wonder what qualifications would be required given the roles..? Infantry Recce ....Artillary ISTAR ....Cavalry Recce ... is/should there be room for a "line" soldier..?

Comment

• Originally posted by FatherJack View Post
                    I would like to believe that whatever capacity they do send will be adequately equipped, the pre deployment training should be extensive and would start in the very near future. Also I do wonder what qualifications would be required given the roles..? Infantry Recce ....Artillary ISTAR ....Cavalry Recce ... is/should there be room for a "line" soldier..?
                    It’s a HUMINT role apparently

Comment

• I understand HUMINT as "identifying adversarial elements, strengths, dispositions, tactics, equipment, personnel, and capabilities through collecting information from people".

But i do wonder will it be to a level of market walks, patrol harbours into conducting recce patrols, meeting elders, op's CTR's...or could it go as far as......... raids ??!

Comment

• Originally posted by FatherJack View Post
                        I understand HUMINT as "identifying adversarial elements, strengths, dispositions, tactics, equipment, personnel, and capabilities through collecting information from people".

But i do wonder will it be to a level of market walks, patrol harbours into conducting recce patrols, meeting elders, op's CTR's...or could it go as far as......... raids ??!
                        While I have no doubt of the ability to carry out such a role, I'd be much more interested in seeing what support is with us. Our desert experience in the past has not been inspiring in that regard, and if anything, we are in a worse state now, militarily than we were for either the Chad or Ethiopia/Eritrea or Somalia missions.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• 'A' Coy 1 R IRISH are out there now with the QDG; rest of the Battalion swap with them later in the year...doing the long range recce piece.

My son will be going out in the second rotation.
                          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Operation Barkhane is coming to an end

In a joint announcement from the Élysée Palace on Thursday, France and allied nations announced that they were withdrawing troops from Mali due to a breakdown in relations with the ruling junta after…

Germany “very sceptical” about future of EUTM Mali

Comment

• On Thursday, the French Government confirmed it was pulling out its troops from Mali under its primary military mission

Military intelligence staff are understood to be briefing senior officials in the Department of Defence on the security situation in Mali, where 34 Irish troops are part of UN and EU missions.

Comment

• Germany considering their continued participation also.
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                                X