Irish Army Observer Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly connected.
    A site that once included a nuclear bunker shelter in Limerick is due to be demolished. The bunker was built in the 1980s in what is now the Opera development site in Limerick City.

In all my years in limerick I never knew it existed. We even used to get uniforms tailored in a unit based in the same complex.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I think it is safe to say there are more dotted around a country.

Comment

I knew about the one in Athlone, but I should have known about this one, given it was on my beat.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

This was on the market for £575k a few years back. Only built in 1990.

Not sure if it sold or not...

Stormont's leaders are selling off their nuclear bunker in County Antrim - an emergency shelter that dates back to the latter stages of the Cold War.

Theres a huge one in Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn, also.
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

In the South East corner of Merrion Square in Dublin there are the remains of a private WW2 bunker , built (paid for) by the residents of the homes around the square who owned the park at the time , it looks like a grassy mound these days .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
              I think it is safe to say there are more dotted around a country.
              Indeed there was , my father use do to quantity surveying with the old P&T and had occasion to visit DoD properties when they required some new phone lines , at one location in particular he pointed out that the location already had an excess of around two hundred unused lines to which he was told that those lines where 'special ' and not to be touched .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
              X