• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army pay

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
    I think that the RDF equivalent gets paid more for a week that I do BTW
    BS !!!

No increments
    No allowances (I'm yet to meet anyone who is qualified and holding a tech appointment and actually receives tech pay)!
    No SDA !!!
    No MSA !!!

We don't have to pay the Public Service Pension Levy - but we don't get a pension!

If we have a full or part time job, for the "privilage" of volunteering our free time (assuming we don't transfer credits to the DOD):
    - we pay the USC at 7% on every cent
    - we pay 41% PAYE on every cent

Oh and if we do a normal PDF working week (Monday to Friday) in most cases we only get 5 days pay were as a member of the PDF doing the same amount of days gets 7 days pay.

Oh and from now we no longer get grat !!!!
    Last edited by DeV; 17 February 2013, 23:43.

Basic pay for lets say an RDF Sgt Maj is €791 based on the figures I have, perhaps they have been reduced? His PDF equiv is €739. Okay he gets MSA on top of that but I do not count that as core pay as it is removeable.

The same seems to carry across all pay grades eg as a Pte 3* RDF €452. PDF €427.

The fact you get hit at 41% is irrelevant. All that shows is that you are over a threshold and your pay is in addition to that. If you have been wrongly taxed you wll get i back.

If I could take a weeks leave and go do something I enjoyed and get another week's wages I would be delighted.
    People give out about having to pay tax on RDF pay because they think back to the day of cash in hand for the FCA

Comment

Basic pay for lets say an RDF Sgt Maj is €791 based on the figures I have, perhaps they have been reduced? His PDF equiv is €739. Okay he gets MSA on top of that but I do not count that as core pay as it is removeable.

The same seems to carry across all pay grades eg as a Pte 3* RDF €452. PDF €427.

The fact you get hit at 41% is irrelevant. All that shows is that you are over a threshold and your pay is in addition to that. If you have been wrongly taxed you wll get i back.

If I could take a weeks leave and go do something I enjoyed and get another week's wages I would be delighted.
      People give out about having to pay tax on RDF pay because they think back to the day of cash in hand for the FCA
      Don't know where your getting your figures!! PDFORRA or the MA ?

RDF personnel get the same as their PDF equivalent at the first point on the scale (it is highly unlikely the RDF man will get to the second point as they have to do 365 mandays in rank to qualify).

I mentioned tax because I didn't know if you were talking about gross or net.

The RDF get exactly the same basic gross wage and their PDF counterpart!

There is no PDF corporal and RDF corporal pay grades, just corporal !
      Last edited by DeV; 18 February 2013, 00:42.

Comment

he gets MSA on top of that but I do not count that as core pay as it is removeable.
        Dosen't make a difference if it is removable, it is more money in the bank.

The same seems to carry across all pay grades eg as a Pte 3* RDF €452. PDF €427+41=468
        So with MSA alone it is more than RDF, if a rdf person does a 5 day camp he/she gets less, PDF person with the same hours worked will get 7 days pay.

Then there's SDA, Border allowance, tech pay, instructors allowance, foreign language and god knows what else. And maybe increments too?
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

.............. Okay he gets MSA on top of that but I do not count that as core pay as it is removable.........
          Poss not everybody in RACO & PDFORA would buy you a drink for that.

Comment

What was your source midnight oil ?

Comment

Has someone been told that they cannot come off of the Non Effective list?
              Not 100% sure but we may have had 1 or 2 about 3/4 years ago.

Originally posted by kermit
              If you are using military.ie as your source for RDF pay rates, it's probably wrong. Bar 2/Lt and Lt, the RDF rate of pay is the same as the bottom point of the PDF scale for the equivalent rank.
              I meant to say that in my post.

MO this is the only exception (and it is take account of the fact of time already served).

Comment

The only explanation for the difference could be the public service pension Levy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                  The only explanation for the difference could be the public service pension Levy.
                  Which they receive as a pension when they retire.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Which they receive as a pension when they retire.
                    Bullshit.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

No seriously, is there a difference in pay and is it caused by the pension Levy?

Comment

The difference in pay was there before the pension levy. Nobody gets the pension levy repaid to them when they retire. It goes to pay todays pension.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          The difference in pay was there before the pension levy. Nobody gets the pension levy repaid to them when they retire. It goes to pay todays pension.
                          There is no difference in the line pay between PDF (first point on the scale) and RDF, the one exception being RDF 2/Lts (who are paid the same line pay as a Lt (PDF first point of scale and RDF Lt).

In theory, the pension levy is funding your pension. In the same way as my (and my employers) pensions contributions contribute to my private pension and; employee & employer PRSI contribute to my State pension.

In practice of course, the public service pension levy and PRSI pays for the current pensioners.

Comment

Doesnt this contradict what you said in post #3394?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Doesnt this contradict what you said in post #3394?
                              The theory isn't the contradiction, the practice is because civil servants never contributed (wrongly) to their pensions.

IMHO they should get rid of the pension levy and replace it with a definitely contribution pension.

Originally posted by kermit
                              Incorrect.
                              ???

Comment

Working...
                              X