Pilot to set new world record in Limerick marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot to set new world record in Limerick marathon

Gearoid O'Briain, a pilot with the Air Corps, training for the Barrington's Hospital Great Limerick Run
    By Anne Sheridan
    Published on 02/05/2013 14:50

A PILOT with the Air Corps is aiming to set a new world record in Limerick this weekend for the fastest time in a marathon while carrying a 20-pound backpack.

Lieutenant Gearoid Ó Briain, a military pilot, is taking part in the Barringtons Hospital Great Limerick Run for the first time this year in memory of two of his colleagues who were killed in an air crash four years ago.

Captain Derek Furniss, 32, who was his chief flying instructor, and classmate Cadet David Jevens, 22, died when their two-seater light aircraft went down in Connemara’s remote Crumlin Valley in October 2009, two months before David finished the course.

“Whether I’m successful or not I’ll be dedicating this run to their memory. I just want to highlight the work that people in the Defence Forces do every day, particularly the Air Corps. If I don’t get the record in Limerick I’ll keep training and attempt it somewhere else,” he told the Limerick Leader.

Gearoid, who has spent the past two years as a co-pilot on the Government Jet, the Learjet 45, said he was “very close” to his classmate David as there were just eight students in the class at the time.

He said the loss of his compatriots has “served as persistent motivation over the last few years, and has continuously reminded me of the importance of seizing the moment, of enjoying every bit of life, and of achieving all you can – while you can”.

Based in Baldonnell, the home of the Irish Air Corps, for the past six years, he is now training to become a flying instructor and has now been training for this record for the past six months, carrying the 20-pound backpack with him.

While he has adjusted to the load, he is suffering lower back and hip pain as there is a tendency to lean forward when carrying such a weight.

He chose Limerick for his world record attempt as “it’s a nice flat course” and the weather should be mild, he hopes, this Sunday, May 5. However, Gearoid’s hopes were dashed last weekend when a British special forces officer broke the last record by 20 minutes during the London marathon, which has put extra pressure on him to reach his goal.

The initial target was running in a time of 3:42, but the new record as of last weekend has been set to 3:25.

He had hoped the run the 26.2mile route in his full camouflage army suit, as he had done during the Connemarathon, but will be wearing normal running clothing to help his prospects in achieving his time, and has also lost weight, slimming down to 11 stone, to help with his running times.

During the Connemarathon he broke the record for carrying the 20-pound weight during the half-marathon, but didn’t have the entry registered with the Guinness Book of Records.

The keen runner has six marathons under his belt, achieving his fastest marathon in a time of 3:24:57.

The 25 year-old from Rathdrum, Co Wicklow, was among 30 members of the Defences Forces who all took part in the Dublin marathon last year, running in block formation.

Last May he completed his first Ironman challenge in Austria – despite having broken his collar bone just four months previously

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Know him from back in the day. Great bloke. And I'll be genuinely surprised if he doesn't smash the record as he's one of the most determined people I've ever met.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

If he pulls it off, the ground pounders may as well hang up their packs ! Best of luck with it, sir ....
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Fair doo's to him.

(A promise I made myself the day I came out was that I was never going to run again. Apart for the odd sprint down a platform to catch a train, I've kept to it!)
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Tough mudda...
          Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
            Know him from back in the day. Great bloke. And I'll be genuinely surprised if he doesn't smash the record as he's one of the most determined people I've ever met.
            As do I. Agree with you on everything !

Comment

I fear the day he becomes a platoon commander for an unfortunate class of recruits, apprentices or Potential NCOs...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

New record set - 3:16, well done!

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

Well done that man!
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by meat bomb View Post
                      New record set - 3:16, well done!
                      Any link to a media report yet ?
                      Well done again Lt...
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

DF are awaiting confirmation from Guinness Book of Records according to Facebook

Comment

i'll have to get my old Green Jacket mate Mike Buss on the case to see if he can beat him.

outstanding achievement and well done Lieutenant Gearoid Ó Briain.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

a short video of the day
                            Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              I fear the day he becomes a platoon commander for an unfortunate class of recruits, apprentices or Potential NCOs...
                              Just imagine the Recruits the very first time he goes on a run with them...

Recruit 1: Did ya hear the Lt. is taking the run today?
                              Recruit 2: Yeah mate, I heard he's a bit of a beast when it comes to running
                              Recruit 1: Ah for **** sake I can't be dealing with this on a Saturday
                              Recruit 2: Melter isn't it?
                              Recruit 1: Here he comes now, doesn't look like much
                              Recruit 2: You're not wrong, sure he's wearing a daysack and everything
                              Recruit 1: Ah should be a handy enough pace so....

Poor bastards.

Comment

Working...
                              X