No announcement yet.

Future of soon-to-be retired OPV's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about retaining one of them at least and extending its life in the basin for NSR use? I dont know much about NSR or the costs associated with extending their lives, but is that not even closely a consideration, even at MA level?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      What about retaining one of them at least and extending its life in the basin for NSR use? I dont know much about NSR or the costs associated with extending their lives, but is that not even closely a consideration, even at MA level?
      problem i've heard about increasing the number of ships is you then go above a flotila ,hence needing to appoint an admiral (open to correction), as well as that the nsr is down to something like 200 bodies, mandays and even bodies wont be available to keep it a float

i'm in favour of sinking as well let the rangers/navy diver sink one and the air corp the other put in a location that is deep enough to stop the rookie divers go down but not the well trained ,thus reducing any chance of money hungry idots looking for compo if injured from anything with the ship

best training is to do as close to the real thing as possible
      Last edited by slapper; 14 May 2013, 18:29.
      who threw the smoke in the van

Comment

I've had a great idea, crew one with FFers, property developers and bankers...THEN conduct a sinkex.
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
          I've had a great idea, crew one with FFers, property developers and bankers...THEN conduct a sinkex.
          one slight change fg lab greens sf as well
          did i miss any other than indo's

Comment

Originally posted by slapper View Post
            one slight change fg lab greens sf as well
            did i miss any other than indo's
            Are you suggesting the technical group deserve to live? I'll donate my own boat to transport them to the sinking area.
            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              Are you suggesting the technical group deserve to live? I'll donate my own boat to transport them to the sinking area.
              i forgot about them

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                Everybody it's talking about sinking the ships. Do they not have some residual value? Even if it only scrappage surely we could get something
                HMG got about £12m for Invincible at 20,000 tonnes - at 1000 tonnes the scrap value of the OPV wouldn't be worth the cost of the admin of processing the cheque. you'd actually get better value by anchoring them somewhere where you could use the DF's heavy weapons on them.

could you use one of them as a firefighting/CQB/damage control platform?

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                  until it sinks

Comment

TBH the best hope appears to be getting a cheque from the EU towards the cost of P62, in return for donating the P20's & a training mission to Somalia (or the like).

If one of them is kept knocking around Cobh as a training vessel, the DoF will say "sure, you don't need a replacement, you've already got your 8th ship."

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      Everybody it's talking about sinking the ships. Do they not have some residual value? Even if it only scrappage surely we could get something
                      If they were scrapped, the taxpayer gets money for them once.

Sink them, and turn them into dive sites, and the exchequer return (eventually) goes on and on and on. Ecologically, sinking the vessels makes sense as they encourage fish to take residence there (although there is debate as to whether or not its just fish moving in from another site) and that, in turn, promotes wreck fishing etc
                      "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Don't need to. There are far better, more controllable, firefighting/damage control modules in NMCI.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

HMG got about £12m for Invincible at 20,000 tonnes - at 1000 tonnes the scrap value of the OPV wouldn't be worth the cost of the admin of processing the cheque. you'd actually get better value by anchoring them somewhere where you could use the DF's heavy weapons on them.

£600,000 at that rate (not a small sum)

Could but it would be safer to use a state of the art simulator that is already there

Originally posted by pym View Post
                          TBH the best hope appears to be getting a cheque from the EU towards the cost of P62, in return for donating the P20's & a training mission to Somalia (or the like).
                          Not a bad idea at all!

Is the EU part funding them already?

Originally posted by Steamy Window View Post
                          If they were scrapped, the taxpayer gets money for them once.

Sink them, and turn them into dive sites, and the exchequer return (eventually) goes on and on and on. Ecologically, sinking the vessels makes sense as they encourage fish to take residence there (although there is debate as to whether or not its just fish moving in from another site) and that, in turn, promotes wreck fishing etc
                          True but is it guaranteed?

Comment

Give them to the NSR!
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                              Give them to the NSR!
                              Stop.

No.

Just NO.

Actually get out of this thread.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Murph, if a 57 or 76 couldn't sink one, then they have no business being on a naval vessel!

Cost of the ammunition propsed by all would probably exceed the scrap value.

Ships are designed to float, just cos you put bullets into them they won't sink.

In November 1978 the RN put two Exocet missiles into the former HMS Undaunted a type 14 frigate, both fired by HMS Norfolk...it was still capable of being towed 300 miles back in to Gibraltar to be tidied up before HMS Swiftsure delivered the coup de grace with a torpedo.

Pictures on Page 68 of 'To Sail No More Part' Three by Mike Critchley and Steve Bush.

Most ships used in Sinkex are prepared with explosives to blow the bottom out of them as gunfire alone especially non explosive type is all but useless.

You can scrap them in Ireland, its a highly specialized job, Belgium or the UK being the closest ship breakers.

the 'crusties' have ship breaking sewn up to the point where even the Far Eastern Nations can't make a bob from it anymore.

Sell them as is, someone will buy them. They are still good ships. Lots of mileage left in them in softer climes. Look at the Former LE Deirdre.

Just a quicky...how the fcuk do propose to sink a 1000 ton ship with a 105mm...Sink exs take place up to 200 miles away from the coast.....

Close thread before someone calls in the Hover Tanks....
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X