Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only a temporary measure before their new vessel is delivered

Comment

• I suspect some lazy journalism from the Examiner. The Maltese military is not going to fly in the face of the elected government. Who are these spokesmen for the AFM?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
        I suspect some lazy journalism from the Examiner. The Maltese military is not going to fly in the face of the elected government. Who are these spokesmen for the AFM?
        Yeah, there's a strange bit at the bottom:
        It said AFM sources had pointed out the vessel had no capabilities to launch a small craft from its stern — essential in operations involving flimsy craft migrants often use for crossings.
        Would have thought the AFM would notice the two rib mountings at the side... Do their current ships even have such launch/recovery positions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          Yeah, there's a strange bit at the bottom:
          Would have thought the AFM would notice the two rib mountings at the side... Do their current ships even have such launch/recovery positions?
          I wonder if the Maltese Navy wishes to give the Irish Navy some lessons in launching boats from warships.

Comment

• I almost never comment on here but I've been living in Malta for the last few years so I might be able to shed some light on what's going on here.

First of all Malta is very politically divided between the Labour Party and the National Party (PN). Labour won the election a couple of years ago for the first time in over a decade and any new policy they announce gets criticised by the supporters of the PN, many of the negative comments are doubtless coming from PN loyalists. The other big issue is irregular migration, many Maltese feel they are on the front line and being asked to take in too many people, this is stoked by both the main parties here which doesn't help. Actually the numbers coming to Malta have dropped since 2009 as Italy has taken more, but it's one of those issues where people are being lead by emotion and facts don't matter. Luckily there are none of those in Ireland So I think they'd rather Ireland announce it would take 500 refugees, many Maltese seem to think there are no refugees anywhere else in Europe.

The AFM for years was supplied with second hand equipment, helicopters from Libya, patrol vessels from East Germany and various bits and bobs from the UK and US, but in recent years they've been able to buy new gear. Specifically the Maritime Squadron received 4 Austal patrol boats paid for by the EU, 2 Protector class boats which were either donated or subsidised by the Americans (they gave US back a Vietnam era Swift boat for display in a museum) and the only real ship, P61, which was paid for by Italy and built in Italy, so more of a subsidy to the Italian shipbuilder really. I think accepting a 35 year old ship from Ireland probably feels like a step back for them, although I'm sure that many in the AFM will be glad to get it.

Malta's annual defence budget is around €50 million so they really have no scope to buy a new OPV unless the EU pays for it and the Maltese government says the process takes 4-5 years so they're hoping the Aoife will be in service for that period. As is the case in Ireland people want the military to take part in all kinds of missions but have no will to pay what that would cost.

If Malta did have the money to buy a new OPV they probably go for something lighter and smaller than the Aoife, so it may not be the ideal ship for them. It is available now and free though, which I suppose is the main reason they asked for it.

One frankly hilarious thing is watching the Irish Examiner write an article about the comment section on the Malta Independent (although I did see similar in the Malta Times) and then the Malta Independent write an article about that. Trying to gin up a controversy.

So in short this is about domestic politics and history not about Ireland.

Anyway hope that was of some use, and you should all still come to Malta for a holiday

Comment

• Whatever force calling itself the Naval Service, Malta does not even have any such thing as a Navy. It does however have a "Maritime Squadron of the Armed Forces of Malta".
              Wiki says it operates the following craft.
              • 2 search and rescue Launches.
              • 6 Ribs of various shape and size
              • 4 Austal Inshore Patrol vessels 21.2m
              • 2 Marine Protector Coastal Patrol vessels 26.5m
              • 1 Dicotti class OPV 53.4M, armed with a 25mm Otobreda

Now to me Aoife is a godsend, given that she can carry three of the 6 ribs they use to wherever they are needed.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Much like the Customs outfit here,seems to be inshore/coastal at best.

Comment

• To be fair to Malta, they are a small island surrounded by friendly states. Libya to the south never bothered them in the past, why should it be an issue now. They never expected to be the first stop for thousands of fleeing refugees.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    To be fair to Malta, they are a small island surrounded by friendly states. Libya to the south never bothered them in the past, why should it be an issue now. They never expected to be the first stop for thousands of fleeing refugees.
                    Only officially have a 'navy' since 1971....had we known them to want to become a naval force back then we could have donated the corvettes!

And from the last photo they could have used a few 'spare' Allouettes
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Are they a member of the Commonwealth .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                        Are they a member of the Commonwealth .
                        Yeah, but what does that have to do with this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                          Are they a member of the Commonwealth .
                          They are click member states on the right and then click show and Malta is there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
                          Last edited by Brian McGrath; 23 February 2015, 10:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            Only officially have a 'navy' since 1971....had we known them to want to become a naval force back then we could have donated the corvettes!

And from the last photo they could have used a few 'spare' Allouettes
                            Well spotted sir....
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Yes, Malta have/had 3 x Alouette III's in operation. I recall one of them flying low over an 'Isle of MTV' concert I attended in Valetta in 2010. I presume it was assisting Malta police to patrol the event. I recall that the AIII got a great cheer from the crowd as it moved slowly over the event!
                              IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

• Given all the bitch allegedly coming out of malta AFM about the capabilities of Aoife and whaere they see the associated problems re ships boats and how wrong these opnions are, I now wonder are the actualy capable of operating what is effect a relaivetly low tech ships?

Maybe if we donated them a few dingies to potter about in first and let them work up?
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X