Future of soon-to-be retired OPV's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Good luck with P62. The important thing is to know your ship's systems, especially how to respond to alarms and potential shutdowns. Starting at the bow it is routine to be familiar with operating the docking and anchoring equipment and ensure anchor cables are measured and clenched. Do the same checks with boats and cranes. Get familiar with Compass, Radar, and Communication systems, including responding to Gyro alarms. Ensure knowledge of pumping, sewage, fuel handling, FW and ballasting systems is not just in one head. Try and make out a Sea Trials check list. Ensure reasonable Voyage spares. One or two Irish technical NCO's secunded for the voyage would be a confidence booster. Lastly somebody must take the authority to say " We are good to Go".
    Words of wisdom that are highly appreciated. Thankfully we still have a bunch of guys with experience of the older (i.e. not connected to a computer) boats who have picked things up quick. New to us is the ballast system, never had one of those before and re-learning RHIB launch with a crane rather than a ramp. Also a bit bigger than anything we've operated in the past so the first week consisted of a bunch of guys getting lost aboard.

Otherwise a fine ship and a tremendously generous gesture.

Comment

• Well done so far. She is in good hands. Have a great trip home Azores High on its Way next week. Just a bye the way! My ship had a low level alarm on the gearbox oil levels. A sustained roll in one direction could give a false low and give that engine a shut down. After consultation with the gearbox men I think we were allowed to increase oil levels and we never had the problem again. The incident was when she was new and we got into a prolonged beam sea run off Lands End with rolls to 25 degrees or so. I,m not sure if you have the same gearbox as our ex-P21.
      Last edited by ancientmariner; 26 August 2015, 13:01. Reason: additional info

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        Medsailor clearly explains why Aoife is not yet ready to enter service in the med. Herald answers by saying he gets his point but wonders why isn't Aoife ready to enter service in the med.

While you are at it, any chance you could get rid of Medsailor's premoderation before he returns to Malta for good? It is clear from his posts he is genuine (unlike other bluffers on this site, who got past premoderation by posting lots of AIS updates).
        Thanks for that, please give me an offical complaint on the other matter,
        so I can do something about it...
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Medsailor

Good to hear from you.

Did you do any changes internally to machinery or accommodation etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
            Medsailor

Good to hear from you.

Did you do any changes internally to machinery or accommodation etc?
            Not really, just overhauls and re-setting of what there is. All the basics are really sound.

Comment

• Crosshaven RNLI posted an update after a shout yesteday.

Originally posted by Crosshaven RNLI
              Crosshaven lifeboat responded, along with a Crosshaven Coast Guard search team, The Pilot boat, Failte, A Naval service RIB,
              Helicopter Rescue 117 and a RIB from the Maltese Navy who were in Verholme.
              Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

• Maltese naval unit

Originally posted by derfel_ie View Post
                Crosshaven RNLI posted an update after a shout yesteday.
                Any news on the Maltese Naval Unit at Cork Harbour? ETD? ETA? General well being of ship and it's company?

Comment

• Port of Cork has Nov 2 as a departure date.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    Port of Cork has Nov 2 as a departure date.
                    Harbour trials and sea trials starting soon, quite a bit of work has been done and it all needs to be tested.

Comment

• What type of work has been done. I thought she was going to be accepted pretty much as is.
                      There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

• They took the opportunity to remove some sections of Hull that were thin.

They over hauled the engines and generators.

They replaced sections of piping that were on the way out.

And in general they future proofed her for a number of years.

She will now be in a condition that she will steam away and run without incident hopefully for a number of years.

Comment

• They took the opportunity to remove some sections of Hull that were thin.
                          Lets hope they put fresh ones back
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Does she still have the same main armament or do the maltese intend fitting something else?
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                              Does she still have the same main armament or do the maltese intend fitting something else?
                              Rh202s were taken out prior to decomissioning for future use. I reckon the L40/70 mm will remain
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                Rh202s were taken out prior to decomissioning for future use. I reckon the L40/70 mm will remain
                                were the 202's not fitted to the j joyce?

Comment

Working...
                                X