Old explosive and weapons find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old explosive and weapons find

i dont think there is a thread for the discovery of explosives or weapons (old stuff and not modern) ,i've heard loads of storys about finds over the years
    but just wondering if any you have any good finds or funny stories
    who threw the smoke in the van

Originally posted by slapper View Post
    ,i've heard loads of storys
    Do go on.

Comment

just about lads doing work on house that were old IRA safe house or stores and knocking a wall and finding weapons and ammo

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

todays one
      who threw the smoke in the van

Comment

I remember reading about one of the secret stay-behind Home Guard units (Auxilleries) in WW2, at the end of the war the CO was waiting to be contacted about their stores, as he was sworn to secrecy.

In many Aux Unit areas, a plentiful supply of explosives and the accessories necessary for sabotage and booby-trapping were available from mid-July 1940. The volume and variety of said explosive were available from a variety of sources, including the War Office, Section D of MI6 (the SIS) and commercial suppliers and included Nobel 808, dynamite, ammonal, gelignite and plastic explosive (also known as plastique). It is worth noting that a few pounds of HE in the wrong hands can destroy entire buildings and kill dozens of people – the average Aux Unit having upwards of half-a-ton. For example, Reg Sennet, the CO for the Dengie Group of Aux Patrols, gave up after waiting for twenty years for the Army to come and collect the ordnance his patrols had left behind in his milking shed after stand-down. He eventually put aside his commitments under the Official Secrets Act and told the local Police, who in turn called the Army. They retrieved:

• 14,738 rounds of ammunition;
        • 1,205lbs of explosives;
        • 3,742 feet of delayed action fusing;
        • 930 feet of safety fuse;
        • 144 time pencils;
        • 1,207 L-Delay switches;
        • 1,271 detonators;
        • 719 booby-trap switches;
        • 314 paraffin bombs;
        • 131 fog signals;
        • 121 smoke bombs;
        • Thirty-six slabs of guncotton;
        • Thirty-three time pencils (click here for more information) and booby-trap switches attached to made-up charges
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
        X