Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    ?

All stretcher cases ,wheel chairs use the tail lifts , dead lifts are outlawed by health and safety.

Casualty will still have to be lifted either from the ground or arms length into the ambulance, given the reported height, thats not going to be an easy job.

The fact that someone may have a spinal injury only means the likes of their battle vest cannot be removed increasing the weight of a casualty to lift into the back of the vehicle.

Correct and right.

Given the crew of an ambulance is two persons, when you arrive at the hospital where the casualty is to be treated, most serious cases go directly to an ED.. getting the casualty poses a greater risk as patient lifting hoists are not designed to reach into vehicles.

Walking wounded only I fear.
    The casualty still needs to be lifted from the ground up even when using a ambulance lift.

If people are not members of the Army Medical Corp, HSE or DFB or Fire Service , I think there should refrain from posting in this thread as you are adding nothing constructive.
    I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

If people are not members of the Army Medical Corp, HSE or DFB or Fire Service , I think there should refrain from posting in this thread as you are adding nothing constructive
      I'm HSE, not Ambulance , have a vested interest so qualified to comment on the thread.

The casualty is lifted onto the trolley / Stretcher which is then placed on the hoist, big difference.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
        These vehicles that are used by the order of Malta are 4x4 and are used around the country race courses to get the injured person a small distance ..they were never design to transport directly to hospital.

These vehicle would have been designed with the aid of the Medical Director of the Irish Horse Racing Association
        My point still stands though......if a seriously injured jockey is taken from the track to be moved to a standard ambulance for transport to the hospital, you cannot provide any treatment in that vehicle. What if said jockey went into cardiac arrest? Begin CPR at track, stop it while in the back of the Pathfinder and recommence when in back of standard ambulance? I think not. No EMS organisation the size of OMAC, etc. will (or should) find that as acceptable practice or standard of treatment care.

More than likely the people in the back of that vehicle will be very seriously injured or have significant individual injuries hat will require treatment, assessment, monitoring in transit. Can't be provided effectively with that.

What is average transfer time from track to standard ambulance at meetings, as a matter of interest?

Its grand for first response driving along rough tracks beside race track but even transporting to a drop off point I would think is questionable in terms of casualty care that can be given.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
          My point still stands though......if a seriously injured jockey is taken from the track to be moved to a standard ambulance for transport to the hospital, you cannot provide any treatment in that vehicle. What if said jockey went into cardiac arrest? Begin CPR at track, stop it while in the back of the Pathfinder and recommence when in back of standard ambulance? I think not. No EMS organisation the size of OMAC, etc. will (or should) find that as acceptable practice or standard of treatment care.

More than likely the people in the back of that vehicle will be very seriously injured or have significant individual injuries hat will require treatment, assessment, monitoring in transit. Can't be provided effectively with that.

What is average transfer time from track to standard ambulance at meetings, as a matter of interest?

Its grand for first response driving along rough tracks beside race track but even transporting to a drop off point I would think is questionable in terms of casualty care that can be given.
          From my time (about 25+ years ago) rattling around in an ambulance behind horses, picking up midget culchies with whips who were literally running to the ambulance to get back in to be cleared by the MO so they could ride in the next race, the mini-ambulances were provided in the first instance because of concerns over the wear and tear on the "proper" ambulances driving around a pot-holed dirt track at 30+ mph. The vast majority of jockeys we picked up only needed a lift back in. I don't know if it has changed, but the plan then was that any casualty that required a proper ambulance and were unsuitable to be transported in the mini 4x4 would wait with the first-aider (no paramedics in those days) until the proper ambulance came out to them.

To put this into perspective, I can only remember one casualty that would have applied to in about six years of doing it.

I also remember the general consensus amongst the First Aiders was that the vehicles so generously provided by the Racing Association (whoever they were) were the cheapest 4x4 they could get, and barely adequate for the job!
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            The vast majority of jockeys we picked up only needed a lift back in. I don't know if it has changed, but the plan then was that any casualty that required a proper ambulance and were unsuitable to be transported in the mini 4x4 would wait with the first-aider (no paramedics in those days) until the proper ambulance came out to them.
            Backs up my original point....if they're jumping into ambulance to get back for next race normal seats will do them. Its a taxi job basically.

If they seriously need an ambulance send first responders to stabilise and transport in a properly equipped and with useable work spaced vehicle.
            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

FFS Its just to get bods off rough ground to a proper ambo, do you propose getting a transit ambo stuck in the grass and pulled out by a ****ing tractor instead??
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

As already stated by The real jack..we need a 4x4 vehicle to transport the short distance, once the casualty is clear of the race course and uneven ground they are transferred to a road ambulance if required.

Same space in the back of a 4x4 that would be in the back of most HEMS aircraft, the means justifies the ends
                I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

If the jockey is that seriously injured, I would imagine the pathway would be to get the course Dr out of the stand and onto the course, whilst stabilising the casualty in preparation for an air ambulance evacuation.

Given the fact that it is a horserace it will be in daylight, reasonable weather conditions (or else the meet would have been canceled) and all the space one would wish for to land a medivac chopper.
                  Last edited by Flamingo; 9 January 2014, 20:58.

Comment

i'm not doubting the need for a 4x4 or similar to get patient to tarmacked road or surface. That's not an issue.

I just seriously doubt any meaningful casualty treatment could be done in such a confined space, and in the most serious of cases the ability to make a timely intervention may directly result in whether the patient lives or dies or determine their quality of life after.

Comment

I just seriously doubt any meaningful casualty treatment could be done in such a confined space,
                      No ambo crew neither professional or amateur with the consult of the course dr is going to stick a soon to expire pax into said 4x4. HSE & other professional crews would obviously be on hand in that case. If circumstances dictate the AC or CG helos could do a air evac.

and in the most serious of cases the ability to make a timely intervention may directly result in whether the patient lives or dies or determine their quality of life after.
                      You're splitting hairs for no ****ing reason other than what appears to be "union rules bud". If the order of malta/whatever weren't there then you've just got a soon to be dead jockey waiting for the NAS/DFB ambo to get to him from the hard surface in conjunction with a recovery crew.
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Backs up my original point....if they're jumping into ambulance to get back for next race normal seats will do them. Its a taxi job basically.

If they seriously need an ambulance send first responders to stabilise and transport in a properly equipped and with useable work spaced vehicle.
                        There are lots of injuries which may not be suitable for transport sitting on the back seat of a 4X4, but don't need full life-support intervention either. The ability to have a casualty lieing down or reclining is necessary.

Comment

What would your feelings be on these ?

http://www.eeresq.com/id13.html

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post

The golf cart style ambulances would be used to good affect at sports stadiums and open air concerts... Like I said before there are designed to get the casualty a short distance where a more appropriate vehicle / location can be used to treat the patient.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post

Short-distance humping, they seem ideal. Getting somebody in from the back straight at Fairyhouse (in a reasonable time) would be a challenge, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
                                The golf cart style ambulances would be used to good affect at sports stadiums and open air concerts... Like I said before there are designed to get the casualty a short distance where a more appropriate vehicle / location can be used to treat the patient.
                                Like the sig, L-C...
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X