No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and before Alan Shatter goes to sleep at night, he kneels by his bed and utters the Ministerial prayer for soldiers "please, dear God, don't let them come home in body bags. It's not good for my career and/or Fine Gael and/or the Gubmint"

regards
    GttC

Comment

• Probably the most capable, enigmatic, inspiring and down right best Lt Col in the DF at the moment is BD himself, his 2I/C TC O Brien is another fine and wise choice. Who ever picked this dream team deserves a pat on the back.
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Two to three week delay due to paper work
        Commandant Denis Hanly said the United Nations requested the troops to be delayed “for administration reasons”.

THE FIRST SET of Irish troops to be deployed to the Golan Heights today to join the UNDOF (United Nations Disengagement Observer Force) mission has been delayed by between two and three weeks.
        Commandant Denis Hanly of the Defence Forces told TheJournal.ie that the United Nations requested just last night the troops be delayed “for administration reasons”.
        The advanced party of around 20 to 30 drivers and logistics personnel were set to head to Syria today to move equipment to the camp and set it up for the arrival of the remaining members of the 43rd Infantary Group.
        Hanly said there was “a difficulty in getting the chalk sorted because of paperwork”.
        He said the six-month deployment to join the UN mission would still be going ahead, and they plan to have all troops on the ground by the end of September.
        Hanly added there is a bit of “frustration” amongst troops and families, while some might have to stay between two and three weeks longer to make up the time lost.
        The 12 officers and 103 soldiers of various ranks will be taking part in the UNDOF mission with troops from Fiji, India and the Philippines.
        They will not have any mandate to get involved in the internal struggle in the country; the UNDOF mission, in place for almost 40 years, is tasked with keeping the peace between Syria and Israel.
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Probably the most capable, enigmatic, inspiring and down right best Lt Col in the DF at the moment is BD himself, his 2I/C TC O Brien is another fine and wise choice. Who ever picked this dream team deserves a pat on the back.
          TC was my Boss on a few occasions and I agree with your sentiment. Another one of the good guys.

Comment

• Paperwork cock up - my shapely arse. The Lebanese authorities no doubt wanted an phenomenal amount of UN money to allow the convoy traverse through Lebanon. Even though the strengthening of UNDOF would no doubt be welcomed by ordinary Syrians, Israelis and Lebanese civilians, some greedy Mingy Councillor decided no doubt that there was money to be made and hence the delay. No doubt the UN formed a committee to deal with this and that committee is currently meeting in Barbados.
            Last edited by hedgehog; 4 September 2013, 22:01.
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
              I can't answer the question I'm afraid but technically it's a Infantry Grp (mechanized component ) and not a Coy which could be the reason an O-4 is Comdr and not an O-3.
              Interesting... in Timor in 1999, we sent a Coy group of 250 pers; it consisted of 3 x Rifle platoons, a Recce platoon, a Cbt Eng troop, a Log element and a small HQ. All under the command of a Major (O-3).

We had a National Command Element in Dili, commanded by a senior Navy officer (O-4 or O-5), that was the national authority for the Coy group, the Air component (2 x C-130s) and the AOR ship Canada deployed.

Still, 115 pers for an Inf group is a small organisation to be commanded by a LCol, in my view...
              "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• We have so many Lt Cols we can afford to use them as Majors.

Comment

• Next force commander.???????

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                    Interesting... in Timor in 1999, we sent a Coy group of 250 pers; it consisted of 3 x Rifle platoons, a Recce platoon, a Cbt Eng troop, a Log element and a small HQ. All under the command of a Major (O-3).

We had a National Command Element in Dili, commanded by a senior Navy officer (O-4 or O-5), that was the national authority for the Coy group, the Air component (2 x C-130s) and the AOR ship Canada deployed.

Still, 115 pers for an Inf group is a small organisation to be commanded by a LCol, in my view...
                    Is a major a Bn Comdr or a coy Comdr in the Canadian forces? here a Commandant(Major is a Coy Comdr).
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• In fairness to the UN, it may not be necessarily their fault. It could be Lebanese authorities, it could be Syrian authorities (who are a big busy at the moment fighting a civil war) or it could be refugees trying to cross the border.

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      There was some guy on rte radio 1 talking about the postponed/delayed deployment today and he said that UNDOF & UNIFIL are just "human shields" between 2 sides. Might not be too far from the truth but I don't recall anyone calling them that in the media before.
                      xxx xxxxxx

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                      Is the LCol the Coy Commander ? I thought he was heading the mission, with a small national staff, but that a normal CofC was provided for the Coy.

I don't know any of our LCols who would be happy with that arrangement...
                      Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                      I can't answer the question I'm afraid but technically it's a Infantry Grp (mechanized component ) and not a Coy which could be the reason an O-4 is Comdr and not an O-3.
                      First of all an infantry group is normally at least 2 Coys (at least 1 being an infantry coy) and commanded by a Lt Col.

This is actually smaller than a infantry coy so there is no way a Lt Col should be the coy comdr. If he was going as SIO with a HQ appointment that would be fair enough. The only possible reason is that if deployed to the scene of an incident that he could have more authority with both sides being a higher rank.
                      Last edited by Bravo20; 4 September 2013, 21:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        First of all an infantry group is normally at least 2 Coys (at least 1 being an infantry coy) and commanded by a Lt Col.
                        We would call that a Battalion (-)

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        This is actually smaller than a infantry coy so there is no way a Lt Col should be the coy comdr.
                        That's what I am thinking...

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        The only possible reason is that if deployed to the scene of an incident that he could have more authority with both sides being a higher rank.
                        Hmmm... I can't see why the Commander would go to the scene of an incident; he is more useful in the Ops Center effecting C2 while keeping a cool head...
                        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          Is a major a Bn Comdr or a coy Comdr in the Canadian forces? here a Commandant(Major is a Coy Comdr).
                          In the Canadian Army (Infantry), a Coy is commanded by a Major, while a Battalion is commanded by a LCol.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Part of the reason could be an expression of importance the Irish DF is giving to the mission, at least at the initial stages.

Comment

• Also given that this is the largest unit we have in the mission, in order to retain a reasonable amount of say in how the unit is deployed, the Irish DF needs to equip the unit with a strong voice at the table. A Lt Col will carry more weight than a Comdt. And while I do not know this guy from Adam, people who do seem to think he is strong individual. I suspect we have sent someone who could easily be a full Colonol.

Comment

• Not only does he have a strong personality I'm pretty sure he could do a mean solo log run.
                                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                                X