Alouette III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alouette III

Nice video of Alouette 213 erecting a cross on top of Muckish Mountain in Donegal in 2000.

If ever there was a video symbolising the non separation of church and state.....

Ironically Iwo Jima-esque towards the end there....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ag_raising.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
      If ever there was a video symbolising the non separation of church and state.....
      This actually had nothing to do with the Church, the request for the helicopter came from a local community group who wanted to replace the original wooden cross on top of the mountain that had been destroyed in a storm.
      Last edited by Rhodes; 10 August 2013, 11:37.

Comment

The Air Corps also has a very honourable history when it comes to Muckish. Check out the Air Corps DSM list.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

21 September 2007

Comment

Rattliest things ever, do the Austrians still fly them I wonder?
            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Still flown in Malta

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                Rattliest things ever, do the Austrians still fly them I wonder?
                Still have 24 of them.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Loved flying in them

My section cracked the one of the lower door window panels of one in coolmoney camp a few years back whilst getting in.

The lad infront of me , whilst getting on board, cracked the pane as he was swinging the GPMG around to slide it under the seat.

Never seen a pilot or loadmaster look so pi$$ed off with anyone before!

They still completed the exercise however.
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                    Loved flying in them

My section cracked the one of the lower door window panels of one in coolmoney camp a few years back whilst getting in.

The lad infront of me , whilst getting on board, cracked the pane as he was swinging the GPMG around to slide it under the seat.

Bleedin foot soldiers!

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      Loved flying in them

I remember a story of an AIII getting a hole in a window during an army ex, shortly before that a/c was ment to be on static display in the RDS (I think) there wasn't time to fit a replacement window as the sealant wouldn't cure in time to be re painted. The fix was a Perspex square on the inside and outside of the damaged section. It was painted red / yellow to hide the damage and anyone that asked what it was was told it was a sensor! Brilliant
                      Wonder was this the same incident?

Comment

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                        I remember a story of an AIII getting a hole in a window during an army ex, shortly before that a/c was ment to be on static display in the RDS (I think) there wasn't time to fit a replacement window as the sealant wouldn't cure in time to be re painted. The fix was a Perspex square on the inside and outside of the damaged section. It was painted red / yellow to hide the damage and anyone that asked what it was was told it was a sensor! Brilliant
                        Wonder was this the same incident?
                        It that story is from not long after they were delivered

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          It that story is from not long after they were delivered
                          Not sure DeV, heard it years ago but still makes me laugh. Ingenuity at it's best.

Comment

Another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                              Still flown in Malta
                              Before we get into a love fest for the plucky little Alouette, most air arms still flying them are desperate to be rid of them due to the scarcity of parts and the fact that the manufacturers have them bent over a barrel without lube price wise. Its a dead platform and I've heard of scavenging going on - ringing outfits that have retired them recently to see if they have any parts inventory left.

Comment

Working...
                              X