X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan 1st

The Act of Union came into effect.

The White House was officially re-opened after repairs to damage caused during the War of 1812.

The Church of Ireland was disestablished under the Irish Church Act.

Surgeon John Crimmin of the Bombay Medical Department earned a VC at Lweka, Burma in the Karen-Ni Expedition. He tended the wounded under fire and in his spare time joined in the fighting. Johnny was a Dub. He died in 1945.

Meanwhile, back in Donegal…

Patrick McGill was born near Glenties. He served in the London Irish Rifles in the Great War, about which he wrote poetry and novels, including The Great Push, The Red Horizon and [/I]Soldier Songs from the Great Push[/I]. He died in 1963.

Lament From the trenches

I wish the sea was not so wide that that parts me from my love;
    I wish the things men do below were known to God above!

I wish that I were back again in the glens of Donegal,
    They’d call me a coward if I return and a hero if I fall.

Is it better to be a living coward, or thrice a hero dead?
    It’s better to go to sleep. M’lad, the Colour-Sergeant said.

Patrick McGill

The first two verses of the above poem feature on a stone in the Island of Ireland Peace Park on Messines Ridge.

Kim Philby was born. He spied for the Soviets on the UK.

The U-24 sank the battleship HMS Formidable off Massachucetts.

The favourite author of all conspiracy theorists was born. J D Salinger, author of The Catcher in the Rye was born.

The Germans bombed many parts of the East Coast over the next 3 days.

A 7.7 earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sulawesi caused a tsunami that killed 8 people.

Euro currency was introduced in most of the EU. Cunning Kerry teenagers were quick off the mark reproducing the “unforgeable” notes by means of scanner and printer. They spent €1500 worth in Kerry nightclubs before being caught. No prosecutions followed, to the relief of the Kerry publicans, since all the gang members were under 18.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

• Jan 2nd

The Spanish army of Don Juan de l’Aguila formally surrendered Kinsale to Mountjoy.

William Buckley, a Tipperary-born French Royalist soldier was executed by guillotine in Angers, France.

Recruitment began for the Black and Tans.

Patrick O'Brian died in a Dublin hotel. He was 85 and was born Richard Patrick Russ. He was writing his 21st novel set during the Napoleonic wars, the first of which was Master and Commander, which was published in 1970.

Died

Pte Michael Hogan, Free State Army. Killed in Silvermines village, Co. Tipperary.

Adjt Michael Ryan, IRA. Died of wounds in Killenaule, Co. Tipperary.

Sean Devereux, an Irish civilian, working with UNICEF, was killed in Somalia.
      Last edited by Groundhog; 14 January 2005, 05:39.
      sigpic

Comment

• Jan 3rd

Pope Leo X excommunicated Martin Luther from the Roman Catholic Church.

Britain claimed the Falkland Islands for herself. Argentina claims them as hers but isn’t likely to do anything about it after the 1982 farce.

Howard Carter found the sarcophagus of Tutankhamun.

Emergency anti-IRA legislation was introduced in the Irish Free State.

Jack Ruby , the man who shot Lee Harvey Oswald, died in a Dallas hospital, age 55.

Margaret Thatcher became the longest serving British PM of the 20th century.

Died

9208 CQMS David Carroll, 2nd Bn East Lancashire Regt. Died on the Western Front. He was from Cashel, Co. Tipperary.
        sigpic

Comment

• Jan 4th

King Charles I attacked the English parliament with 400 soldiers. The monarch is excluded from the House of Commons ever since.

Topsy the elephant was executed by electrocution on Coney Island, New York. She killed 3 keepers over a 2 year period.

Martial law was extended to counties Clare, Kilkenny, Waterford and Wexford.

The British Fifth Army attacked Monte Cassino.

The Red Army crossed into Poland.

The last German offensive on Bastogne ended.

The longest strike in history came to an end. Danish barbers' assistants returned to work after 33 yrs.

People's Democracy was attacked at Burntollet Bridge on a civil rights march from Derry to Belfast.

A group of women began an anti-war protest at a roundabout at Shannon Airport.

Died

64741 Constable Francis Shortall, RIC. Born Co. Tipperary in 1882. He was killed in Cork City.
          sigpic

Comment

• Jan 5th

John Burke, genealogist and compiler of Burke's Peerage, was born in Elm Hall, Co. Tipperary.

Sir Ernest Shackleton, the Kildare-born Antarctic explorer, died on South Georgia.

Peter Sutcliffe-“The Yorkshire Ripper” was arrested. He murdered 13 women.

Died

30213 Gnr Thomas Eustace, Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action on the Western Front. He was from Cashel, Co. Tipperary.

12504 Pte Michael Meaney, 9th Bn Warwickshire Regt. Killed in action, Gallipoli. He was from Waterford City.
            Last edited by Groundhog; 14 January 2005, 05:40.
            sigpic

Comment

• Jan 6th

Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex, was crowned King of England. He was the guy who was shot in the eye at Hastings.

Joan of Arc was born in the French village of Domrémy.

King Henry VIII married his fourth wife, Anne of Cleeves.

The English lost Calais to the French.

Shane O'Neill submitted to Queen Elizabeth at Whitehall. He rebelled again a few months later.

Samuel Morse demonstrated his telegraph in Morristown, New .Jersey.

The Night Of The Big Wind or Oiche na Gaoithe Moire. Wind speeds in excess of 130 m.p.h were estimated.

Colonel James Fitzmaurice was born in Dublin. He flew the Atlantic east to west.

Operation Deckhouse V began. 16,000 U.S. and 14,000 South Vietnamese troops started an attack on the Iron Triangle, northwest of Saigon.

Died

34621 Pte Peter Batterson, 402nd Protection Coy, Royal Defence Force. Died in England. He was the son of Adam and Mary Ann Batterson from Waterford. He was also a veteran of the Sudan.

Pte George Nagle from Clonme, Co. Tipperary was KIA in a landmine explosion in Vietnam. He was serving in the Australian Army. George was an ex-member of 12th Inf Bn.
              Last edited by Groundhog; 14 January 2005, 05:42.
              sigpic

Comment

• Jan 7th

The first ship passed through the Panama Canal.

The Germans moved 75,000 troops from the East Front to the Western Front.

In Scotland Stephen Gough, aged 44, was convicted of breaching the peace and sentenced to three months in jail for trying to walk the length of Britain naked. Rather cold for that sort of thing.

Died

4710 Pte Christopher Nash, 7th Reserve Cavalry Regt. He died at home in Waterford.

KIA in the Pickardstown Ambush near Tramore, Co. Waterford.

Vol Michael McGrath. Waterford City.

Vol Tom O’Brien. Dunhill, Co. Waterford.
                sigpic

Comment

• Jan 8th

The final battle of the War of 1812 was fought at New Orleans. The Americans beat the British, killing 3 generals. The war had actually ended on Christmas Eve but nobody knew it.

James Craig, PM of Northern Ireland from 1921 to 1940, was born in Belfast.

Meanwhile in France, the Prussians bombarded Paris.

The evacuation of the Gallipoli Peninsula was completed. The eight-month campaign cost 100,000 men.

Arthur Griffith was elected President of Ireland by Dáil Éireann.

An oil tanker, the Betelgeuse exploded at Whiddy Island oil terminal in Bantry Bay, killing 50 people.

Died

Vol Michael Kennedy, IRA. Killed by Security Forces at Toomeveara.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Jan 9th

Danny Morrison, IRA terrorist and head of propaganda was born.

Ray Houghton, the man who put the ball in the English and Italian nets, was born.
                    Last edited by Groundhog; 10 January 2005, 20:25.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Jan 10th

An Aer Lingus aeroplane, the St Kevin, crashed in Wales with the loss of 23 lives.

Died

4774 Pte Jeremiah Lonergan, 1st Bn Irish Guards. Killed in action on the Western Front. He was from Fethard, Co. Tipperary.

5533 Pte Patrick French, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regt. Killed in action on the Western Front. He was from Tallow, Co. Waterford.

285301 Pte Walter McGee, 6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders. Killed in action on the Western Front. He was from Dungarvan, Co. Waterford.

Comdt Martin Breen, IRA. From Tipperary Town, he was KIA by the Free State Army.

Cpl Dermot McLoughlin was killed in Lebanon serving with 60th Irishbatt.
                      Last edited by Groundhog; 14 January 2005, 05:44.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Jan 11th

49BC

Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon, starting a Roman civil war.

The Zulu war began.

British troops massacred 1,000 dervishes in Somaliland.

Benjamin O. Davis, Sr. became the U.S. Army's first black general.

World War II flying ace Gregory "Pappy" Boyington died in Fresno, California, age 75. Anybody old enough will remember the television series, The Black Sheep based on his squadron’s exploits in the Pacific.

The first planeload of Al-Queda prisoners from Afghanistan arrived Guantanamo Bay.

Died

26577 Gunner Patrick Daly, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died in India. He was from Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford.

7438 Pte Martin Flynn, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt. Died in Salonika and buried in Lembet Road Military Cemetery. He was from Carrickbeg, Co. Waterford.

15012 Pte John O'Donoghue, 2nd Bn Leinster Regt. Died at home, age 52. He is buried in the Rock of Cashel Graveyard, Co. Tipperary.

916300 Flt Sgt Patrick O'Meara, 550 Sqdn, RAF. Died in Ireland and buried in St Michaels Cemetery, Tipperary town. A Tipperary man by birth, he was raised in Dublin. He died aged 28.
                        Last edited by Groundhog; 11 January 2005, 05:44.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Jan 12th

Edmund Burke was born in Dublin.

The was a by-election in Kinsale caused by the death of John Folliott.It was contested by Agmondisham Vesey and Richard Meade, Vesey winning by 64 votes to 48. Among his election costs were; to William Dennis, vintner, £80 for entertainment. Three other innkeepers receive a total of £76 3s 6d for providing drink for Mr Vesey's health and a further £14 9s for beer to the populace. His election agent, James Dennis, spent £46 12s 2d to send a coach to Dublin to collect voters. Vesey spent a further £12 7s 10d on a notice to disqualify John O'Grady as a Papist from voting. Ben Hayes, fiddler, was paid £5 13s 9d. Vesey's election breakages bill amounted to £7 8s, exclusive of fines for a crowd of broke heads and crakt limbs. James Kearney (a future MP for Kinsale) spent £16 4s 3d to bring voters to Kinsale on Vesey's behalf. This included transport and hospitality on the four-day journey.

British troops under Chelmsford invaded Zululand, crossing the Buffalo River from Natal, not far from an unheard of mission station named Rorke’s Drift.

Thomas Ashe was born in Co. Kerry. He died on hunger strike in 1917.

Hermann Goring was born.

Leopoldo Galtieri died, age 76. He was the leader of the military Junta that led Argentina into the Falkland War in 1982.

Died

10874 Pte Patrick Flynn, 6th Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regt. Killed in action on the Western Front. He was from Fethard, Co. Tipperary.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Jan 13th

Jonathan Swift became Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral.

Daniel O'Connell made his first public speech, opposing Union with England.

In the First Afghan War British troops retreating from Kabul were ambushed and nearly all slaughtered in the Khyber Pass. Dr. William Brydon was the only survivor of the 16,000 person retreat from Kabul to reach Jallalabad.

Thomas Crapper unveiled a flushing toilet.

Wyatt Earp died in Los Angeles. He was born in Illinois in 1848 and served as a lawman in Tombstone, Arizona with his brothers Morgan and Virgil. There most famous exploit was the Gunfight at the OK Corral along with Doc Holliday.

James Joyce, died in Zurich.

A tour guide, cleaning up litter from a Co Kilkenny cave discovered a priceless Viking-age silver treasure-trove.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Jan 14th

John Hely-Hutchinson, Provost of Trinity College, fought a duel with William Doyle over a libellous newspaper article. Doyle was sick and had to lean on a crutch to fire his shot. Neither man was injured.

Alexander Sullivan was born in Dublin. He was the last King's Serjeant of Ireland.

Died

9143 Cpl Patrick Goss. Died of wounds in Mesopotamia, serving with 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt. He was from Killenaule, Co. Tipperary.

Died in Korea, PFC William Scully from Co. Limerick, serving in 7th Inf Div.
                              Last edited by Groundhog; 14 January 2005, 05:46.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Jan 15th

Henry VIII declared himself head of English Church.

His younger daughter was crowned Queen Elizabeth I in Westminster Abbey.

The last session of the Irish parliament began.

Patrick Guiney, soldier and politician, was born in Parkstown, Co. Tipperary.

Terence Bellew MacManus died in San Francisco. He was one of the 1848 rebels.

On this date two Free State Army officers, Lieuts Cruise and Kennedy left Clonmel barracks, travelling to Templemore in a motor car. They disappeared on route. In mid April their bodies were found buried in a ditch in a cemetery near Knocklofty, Co. Tipperary. Both had been shot in the head.

Martin Luther King was born in Atlanta, Georgia. He won the Nobel Peace prize in 1964 and was assassinated in 1968.

The IRA declared war on England.

The U.S. Fifth Army broke through the German Winter Line in Italy with the capture of Mount Trocchio.

Actress Elizabeth Short, age 22, was found murdered in a vacant lot in Los Angeles. Her body was severed at the waist and drained of blood. Nicknamed the Black Dahlia, her murder remains unsolved despite the fact that 500 hundred men have confessed to the killing.

Sean McBride died.

Died

Captain Charles Palmer of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry. Died and was buried in Tramore, Co. Waterford.

Executed in Roscrea, Co. Tipperary by the Free State Army

Volunteer Patrick McNamara. Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
                                Volunteer Martin O'Shea. Borrisoleigh, Co. Tipperary
                                Volunteer Patrick Russell. Summerhill, Co. Tipperary.
                                Volunteer Fred Burke, Co. Tipperary.
                                Last edited by Groundhog; 18 January 2005, 00:22.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X