AgustaWestland AW139

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orion View Post
    Flamingo sometimes, just sometimes, you do drone on .....
    I know, I just fly in the face of fashion...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Speaking of RDF. I was part of the first, we were told, time the FCA got to fly in an Alouette. We were fully trained and the whole platoon complete with rifles were deployed in 'sticks' of four. It went perfectly. Afterwards we were told it would never happen again. Glad that wasn't true.

Comment

I have pics of the pl prior to mine doing deploys from an Alouette in 1986 in Monaghan, it was a jolly after 3 weeks back-to-back border duties so PDF could take some leave .
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

When I think about how often we, as aptces and airmen, got "jollies" in Alouettes. Four lads getting 20 minutes around the 'drome on a Saturday airtest was normal. I guess we didn't realise how lucky we were until much later.

Comment

Little Latvia to get UH-60M Blackhawks
            https://eng.lsm.lv/article/society/d...pters.a287706/

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
              Little Latvia to get UH-60M Blackhawks
              https://eng.lsm.lv/article/society/d...pters.a287706/
              4 for €173 million

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                4 for €173 million
                Aircraft, GSE, training, facilities, spares and support package.
                Typical FMS package.

Comment

Yes and we got the original 4 AW139s for € 48.4 million in 2005

Now that may not have included the GPMGs, Lifeports, PbH contract etc but still a big difference

I’m not making a judgement on it positive or negative just showing the difference

Comment

That 173m is probably over 20 years.

Comment

The US Air Force has selected the AW139 to replace its Huey's.

Boeing MH-139 to Replace U.S. Air Force UH-1N Huey Fleet

Boeing [NYSE: BA] will provide its MH-139 helicopter and related support to the U.S. Air Force to replace the more than 40-year-old UH-1N “Huey” helicopters used to protect America’s intercontinental ballistic missile bases.

The program awarded today is valued at $2.4 billion for up to 84 helicopters, training devices and associated support equipment.

“We’re grateful for the Air Force’s confidence in our MH-139 team,” said David Koopersmith, vice president and general manager, Boeing Vertical Lift. “The MH-139 exceeds mission requirements, it’s also ideal for VIP transport, and it offers the Air Force up to $1 billion in acquisition and lifecycle cost savings.”

The MH-139 derives from the Leonardo AW139, which is used by more than 270 governments, militaries and companies worldwide. Leonardo will assemble the helicopters at its northeast Philadelphia plant, with Boeing integrating military-specific components at its facility south of that city.

The contract also includes operations, maintenance, training systems and support equipment for the MH-139 aircraft.

“We’re proud to provide the U.S. Air Force with solutions across the entire services ecosystem,” said Ed Dolanski, president of U.S. Government Services, Boeing Global Services. “With the AW139 platform’s more than 2 million flight hours and established supply chain, we look forward to applying our expertise to drive cost savings while supporting mission readiness.”
                      PHILADELPHIA, Pa., Sept. 24, 2018 — Boeing [NYSE: BA] will provide its MH-139 helicopter and related support to the U.S. Air Force to replace the more than 40-year-old UH-1N “Huey” helicopters used to protect America’s intercontinental ballistic missile bases.

Comment

Described as a 'militarised' AW-139. What will be the differences between this and the AC AW-139s?

Comment

Originally posted by DaithiDub View Post
                          Described as a 'militarised' AW-139. What will be the differences between this and the AC AW-139s?
                          Made in USA.
                          Painted "US Military green" instead of "green"?

There is more space for avionics in the nosecone compared to the Italian Built AW139.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                            There is more space for avionics in the nosecone compared to the Italian Built AW139.
                            There is a long nose version is also available on Italian built machines and is in service with on Italian Air Force, Coast Guard and Maltese Armed Forces.

Quite a surprise that the UH-72 Lakota lost this one. Like that aircraft, it's intended for domestic use only.

Comment

one thing that hasn't changed from the Dauphin era is that the cockpit entry door is too small for a fully kitted out pilot to be able to enter easily......I wonder how long it will be before they have to tool around with skis on, because of the tiny tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                                one thing that hasn't changed from the Dauphin era is that the cockpit entry door is too small for a fully kitted out pilot to be able to enter easily......I wonder how long it will be before they have to tool around with skis on, because of the tiny tyres.
                                The Italians also appear to have modified the main undercarriage on theirs:

Versus:

Looks like they have a longer schnoz, the exhausts are buried behind more cowling, tougher main undercarriage, HF antenna and possibly MAWS? All nice to have...

Comment

Working...
                                X