No announcement yet.

LÉ Samuel Beckett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lot of rust streaks all ready.. not a good paint finish so....

Comment

That's dirt. Have you been outdoors at all in the last few weeks? Dirt from dockers' boots on the deck where light engineering is still taking place. Heavy rain will wash it all over the side, and I wouldn't be sending anyone out in a bosun's chair in this weather.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Could someone explain what is the function of the covered area between the front face of the bridge and the gun turret? Is it shaped like that to allow water to run off or is it simply an extra space that would normally be in the hull?

regards
        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          Could someone explain what is the function of the covered area between the front face of the bridge and the gun turret? Is it shaped like that to allow water to run off or is it simply an extra space that would normally be in the hull?

regards
          GttC
          That area is commonly known as the Turtleback. Its houses personnel accomodation mainly. Just using space that normally would be wasted.
          By the looks of pics circulating, P61 also now looks to have a watertight door on the port side which is probably a rope or bosun store id imagine.
          Yet another lesson learned from the P50 class id say.

Comment

Goldie what can you tell us about the sea trials.

Timespan?

Crew: How many? Is it mixed with Irish naval crew and some reps from th shipbuilders?

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

I'd have to say A/Tel would know more about that than me. The Naval crew, for the most part will be there, perhaps without some non essential crew. The shipbuilders however will have their people firmly in charge, and crewing the vessel.
              Trials won't take much longer than a month, if everything goes according to plan. It involves testing every installed system, at sea, to ensure it works as designed.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                I'd have to say A/Tel would know more about that than me. The Naval crew, for the most part will be there, perhaps without some non essential crew. The shipbuilders however will have their people firmly in charge, and crewing the vessel.
                Trials won't take much longer than a month, if everything goes according to plan. It involves testing every installed system, at sea, to ensure it works as designed.
                As far as I can remember, when naval ships were trialled from VCD a master was appointed by the yard and everyone on board, including the naval personnel, signed articles just like a merchant ship. Can anyone confirm what happens in Appledore?

Comment

I was on board for Eithne's sea trials and yes we were signed on ships articles for the duration , although I was actualy working each day ( PO Cook ) lots of lovely civvie rations to play with and cases of free beer at dinner time . Every day at dinner time the same two faces greeted me as I opened the galley hatch , Doggie and George Carr .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by laners View Post
                    i was on board for eithne's sea trials and yes we were signed on ships articles for the duration , although i was actualy working each day ( po cook ) lots of lovely civvie rations to play with and cases of free beer at dinner time . Every day at dinner time the same two faces greeted me as i opened the galley hatch , doggie and george carr .
                    free beer now its coming out -

Comment

Why else was there 150 on board .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

When does construction on the Joyce commence?

Comment

Originally posted by tomh903 View Post
                          When does construction on the Joyce commence?
                          Under construction since Nov 4th last.
                          Janes | The latest defence and security news from Janes - the trusted source for defence intelligence
                          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

New photo Click image for larger version

Name:	Le_Samuel_BeckettFeb14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	697635

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmounce View Post
                              New photo [ATTACH=CONFIG]7407[/ATTACH]
                              I think I have seen that before here or on boards.ie. Still nice to see it afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmounce View Post
                                New photo [ATTACH=CONFIG]7407[/ATTACH]
                                Goldie Fish has posted that picture on page 2 of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X