Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
    Two questions for those that might know:
    1. Do personnel attached to ARW (non SOFQ courses qualified) wear unit beret or standard corps beret, e.g. logs pers, medics, etc. Are there permanent attachments or as required (opsec rules obviously)?
    2. Can officers be attached into unit for "non- operational" roles as required, or do aall officers have to have passed SOFQ course?
    Those attached can wear the beret while serving with the ARW. They cannot however wear the flash, unless they go on and pass selection, which some of the attached specilists do. In fact those serving with other elements of the DF in a SOF capacity or SOF support capacity are now wearing the green head dress.

There are attached, non operational officers, supporting ARW activities without doing Selection.
    Last edited by Fantasia; 2 July 2020, 21:44.

Comment

• I was told before by a colleague who had served as a Fitter with the unit that the norm was that support staff were awarded the beret after they had two years done with the unit.Obviously that might have changed.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I was listening to a podcast by 'Fieldcraft Survival' on spotify, Ken Owens one of the guys who works for them was ARW then went to the US and ended up as a green beret in the US Army. Cant remember which podcast episode but in one with Ken Owens he was talking about shooting the BAP in the All army in the Pre USP days and saying how the Armourers for the Wing had tuned up and upgraded the pistols they used for the Shooting team while the other competing units were using clapped out ancient BAPS if your not cheating your not trying I suppose!
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
          I was listening to a podcast by 'Fieldcraft Survival' on spotify, Ken Owens one of the guys who works for them was ARW then went to the US and ended up as a green beret in the US Army. Cant remember which podcast episode but in one with Ken Owens he was talking about shooting the BAP in the All army in the Pre USP days and saying how the Armourers for the Wing had tuned up and upgraded the pistols they used for the Shooting team while the other competing units were using clapped out ancient BAPS if your not cheating your not trying I suppose!
          The ARW won the All Army Pistol Team competition most years (I did say most, not all)
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I was listening to a podcast by 'Fieldcraft Survival' on spotify, Ken Owens one of the guys who works for them was ARW then went to the US and ended up as a green beret in the US Army. Cant remember which podcast episode but in one with Ken Owens he was talking about shooting the BAP in the All army in the Pre USP days and saying how the Armourers for the Wing had tuned up and upgraded the pistols they used for the Shooting team while the other competing units were using clapped out ancient BAPS if your not cheating your not trying I suppose!
            ARW use SIG Sauers

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              ARW use SIG Sauers
              Kevin Owens was in the Wing 30+ years ago....he only retired as a Green Beret this year.

Comment

Podcast ep was #132 https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/fie...?autoplay=true

Comment

• ARW use the "green army" pistol when competing in the DFTC and DF Shooting Competitions. No "Gucci" kit allowed.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I wouldn't be massively surprised if a few USP match triggers made their way into deliveries from HK
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

I wouldn't be massively surprised if a few USP match triggers made their way into deliveries from HK
                      If you had ever fired the pistol in competition you would know that can't happen.The triggers are checked by Ordnance before the shoot.

Comment

• Having fired in the RDF pistol competition the armourers standards are level across the board and I concur that there is no opportunity to customize weapons.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          If you had ever fired the pistol in competition you would know that can't happen.The triggers are checked by Ordnance before the shoot.
                          I remember hearing a discussion once about one team who (back in the old days) saw an advantage in not easing the trigger after the rifle had been checked before the rapid practice, the logic being that with the hammer back, less pull is needed to cock the rifle, thus saving milliseconds....
                          As for firing in competition, I remember one armourer pointing out that one of the 2 pistols(BAP) we brought had a nice crack on the slide, just below the ejection port and no we would not be firing it today.
                          So it went back in the box, and some unfortunate probably went on duty with it later that year...
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I remember hearing a discussion once about one team who (back in the old days) saw an advantage in not easing the trigger after the rifle had been checked before the rapid practice, the logic being that with the hammer back, less pull is needed to cock the rifle, thus saving milliseconds.
                            Tried it in practice when training for the falling plates made absolutely no difference, other than getting you disqualified if caught. A lot of these little tricks were to create a psychological advantage as opposed to anything practical...and there were a few.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• There was(is) a minimum trigger pressure permitted to compete (which is what Ordnance check), and with the Brownings, you could have any variances, right up to 13lbs.
                              With the HK introduced for competition in 2008, all pressures should still be fairly spot on the factory default, i.e. not enough time and usage for major wear and tear.
                              So, they could have had a set of team pistols with just the minimum pressure.

Comment

• Hard not to be impressed by these photos.
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                                X