No announcement yet.

Army Ranger Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

169 Irish jump wings were awarded (I assume mainly to foreign military)

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      Can any RDF members get onto that IJW or must you belong to an airborne unit?? 169 irish members got wings, yet i doubt 169 rangers (our only airborne unit) took part!!!!!
      Is it that 169 paratroopers from other countries earned irish wings?

Comment

Originally posted by Col View Post
        correct
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

If the jumpers get dispatched by an Irish jumpmaster they' earn Irish wings.

Comment

presumably they have to leave an Irish aircraft in irish airspace to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              presumably they have to leave an Irish aircraft in irish airspace to do so?
              no

Comment

Yep, that's probably 10 years of normal jump courses in the Df!
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Seemingly the white paper targets have not been hit (yet?)

A government commitment to double the size of the Army Ranger Wing in response to increased terrorist threats has not been acted upon almost two years after it was announced, the Irish Independent can reveal.

Comment

They can increase the establishment to 1,000 if they want but that doesn't mean it will happen!

Why?

Because they have to pass the SOFQ course

Comment

Well you have to pay for it too; equipment, training, allowances etc

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                        Well you have to pay for it too; equipment, training, allowances etc
                        Correct but if 80 start and 10 pass selection

Comment

I get the distinct feeling that we are not going to see any reaction regarding Defence until we are faced with a Bataclan, Brussels Airport, or similar attack is perpetrated on Irish soil. Lets be frank and honest, our government and general public are horribly naive and complacent when it comes to national security.

It is a noble aspiration to double the size of the wing, but to do so, do we need to increase the pool of potential applicants? One solution I think is viable, but probably will be ridiculed by some would be a 23 SAS like unit, to keep those who leave the wing in the fold.

Going back to my original point, Ireland is currently an extremely soft target, I mean imagine how much carnage a lone wolf attacker, or even a small operational cell could cause on O'Connell Street in Dublin, Patrick Street in Cork, or any main street in any town in Ireland. Some of these places have minimal Garda presence due to cut backs, and no DF presence at all. How long would it take a Regional Support Unit or other armed assets to react to an incident?
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

I thought that if a person has served in the ARW, that they are subject to recall if need be, to the ARW, for the duration or until they pass the age barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              I thought that if a person has served in the ARW, that they are subject to recall if need be, to the ARW, for the duration or until they pass the age barrier.
                              Correct.Also think outside the box people.Not all pers who serve in the unit are badged. You don't need to increase the amount of operators to increase the size of the unit.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

We could increase the ARW to 1,000, double the size of the DF, triple the size of the Gardai and arm them all.

If the terrorists want it to happen it will. With terror cells you have half a hope of catching them as they have to communicate. You really down have a hope with the lone wolf.

Look at the amount of armed police in Paris and it hasn't stopped terror attacks (in some cases they are actually the targets).

We are living in an age where someone doesn't need access to weapons or explosives to be a terrorist, they just need a vehicle.

Until all Gardai are armed and they are on every street corner Ireland will be a soft target.

Be under absolutely no illusion, there are Islamic terrorists and/or there supporters (including enablers) in Ireland - they have been here a long time.

Trust me

Comment

Working...
                                X