Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  99
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Corp specific berets

Is there any reason why we never opted for different coloured berets for specific corps/units? I just thought it might do more to promote a bit of unit individuality and pride (which is practically none existent among the junior members of my unit)
    Any thoughts?

2. Likes rod and serpent, hedgehog, sofa liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    Is there any reason why we never opted for different coloured berets for specific corps/units? I just thought it might do more to promote a bit of unit individuality and pride (which is practically none existent among the junior members of my unit)
    Any thoughts?
    We have!!!!
    1. PDF: black.
    2. Reserve: light green.
    3. PA's: red.
    4. Reserve PA's: red with green CB backing.
    5. Cavalry: Green Glengarry.
    6. Reserve Cavalry: Green Glengarry with green band (open to correction by the donkey wholloper's)
    7. ARW: bottle green.

Or do you think we should just copy the brits?
    hedons have more fun.

4. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ned stark View Post
    We have!!!!

5. Cavalry PDF RDF: Green Glengarry.
    6. Reserve Officer SD no1 headdress : Green Glengarry with green band
    fixed that
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

6. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any thoughts?
    We also have lanyards/unit flashes to distinguish individual units on the parade ground. Anything else is really just a waste of money to satisfy OCD sufferers
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

8. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Likes The real Jack, DeV liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't there a deviation with the PDF cav hats between squadrons?
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocIRL View Post
    We also have lanyards/unit flashes to distinguish individual units on the parade ground. Anything else is really just a waste of money to satisfy OCD sufferers
    Speaking as an OCD participant(I don't suffer it, I enjoy it) the notion of everyone wearing different colour and shaped hats goes against everything I believe.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

11. Likes DeV, pym, Shaqra, TangoSierra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    It was an error, rather than a deviation. One unit decided that they needed a red patch behind their badge. No other unit considered it necessary.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    It was an error, rather than a deviation. One unit decided that they needed a red patch behind their badge. No other unit considered it necessary.
    2 Cav Sqn (or more precisely now 2 Bde Cav Sqn) wear the red patch backing on their Glengarrys. None of the other PDF Sqns do. Now I would need to check A9 on this one, but I think 2 Cav Sqn were correct, and the others
    were wrong...

As for the original poster, there was talk a good few years ago now of doing exactly that - corps specific coloured berets - never came off though, thankfully
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 22nd January 2014 at 03:53.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

14. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    2 Cav Sqn (or more precisely now 2 Bde Cav Sqn) wear the read patch backing on their Glengarrys. None of the other PDF Sqns do. Now I would need to check A9 on this one, but I think 2 Cav Sqn were correct, and the others
    were wrong...

As for the original poster, there was talk a good few years ago now of doing exactly that - corps specific coloured berets - never came off though, thankfully
    Theres a nasty rumour going around that they wear it because they were the lads who let collins get killed. Filthy rumour.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    The red patch behind the cap badge was introduced in 1973. Prior to its introduction 2 Cav Sqn or 2 Motor Squadron as they were known then wore the Gelgarry without the patch.

17. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ned stark View Post
    We have!!!!
    1. PDF: black.
    2. Reserve: light green.
    3. PA's: red.
    4. Reserve PA's: red with green CB backing.
    5. Cavalry: Green Glengarry.
    6. Reserve Cavalry: Green Glengarry with green band (open to correction by the donkey wholloper's)
    7. ARW: bottle green.

Or do you think we should just copy the brits?
    No I don't think we should copy the brits, what I was getting at is that if you have an infantryman , a signaller and an artillery gunner all sstanding beside each other in dpms they look exactly the same

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its a good idea.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Post Thanks / Like
    2 Cav Sqn (or more precisely now 2 Bde Cav Sqn) wear the read patch backing on their Glengarrys. None of the other PDF Sqns do. Now I would need to check A9 on this one, but I think 2 Cav Sqn were correct, and the others
    were wrong...
    Precisely right.A9 is quiet clear on it.
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

21. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Precisely right.A9 is quiet clear on it
    Which is all fine and grand had the Glengarry's come with the red patch!

The Black Ribbon is the mark of respect towards Collins although this remains undocumented.

I agree with the principle of the different colours of Beret but given the situation around peakers on ceremonial and mixed GOH what would be the identifier?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the point in different berrets?

You know the PAs because they are the ones waving their arms,
    The drivers are the ines in the vehicles,
    The CIS or orher comspers have a radio strpped to their back
    The arty boys are with their guns
    The cav and ARW like to be special with the Glengarry, tradition and all that, lets not worry about if it is merited.

Surely a uniformed GOH should be uniform. There should be no difference between those on parade.

Apart from the brits do other armys do this?

24. Likes DeV liked this post
    In Arduis Fidelis rod and serpent's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I don't think we should copy the brits, what I was getting at is that if you have an infantryman , a signaller and an artillery gunner all sstanding beside each other in dpms they look exactly the same

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_recognition_flash

Post Thanks / Like
    Which is all fine and grand had the Glengarry's come with the red patch!

PA peakers don't come with a red band on them either.Our SD uniforms don't come with our flashes and rank markings pre sewn on.Whats your point?
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

27. Likes DeV liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think that different coloured berets are necessary, but I do think that we should wear TRFs on our DPM uniforms to indicate corps / units. It would develop a bit of patch pride if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like
    PA peakers don't come with a red band on them either.Our SD uniforms don't come with our flashes and rank markings pre sewn on.Whats your point?
    berets do! Even RDF berets come with the patches fitted...the Glengarry doesn't so why should one be fitted?

If the admin instruction suggests that red patches are to be worn, they should be fitted.

As with the private purchase items for the SD No 1s... why should you buy Lanyads , patches etc... if they are expected to be worn, should be supplied.

The concept of items such as lanyards not being standardized has lead to some horrible interpretations of the actual item being worn, ironically the newer cavalry lanyard being a good example with the colours and brading being incorrect and look totally out of place against the actual colours.

Now if every one decides on their own shade of red for patches.......what fun

Many moons ago when wearing of rank sliders as opposed to brassards came to being it was suggested that the unit be featured on the slider.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Special hats/badges don't create Unit pride/"esprit de corps", being a Good unit well led does that. A turd corps with a fancy hat is still a turd.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

31. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes bunny shooter, DeV, apod, TangoSierra liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Special hats/badges don't create Unit pride/"esprit de corps", being a Good unit well led does that. A turd corps with a fancy hat is still a turd.
    Spot on my friend, hey were all united with the cap badge- its time to have 4 berets, Black for all, PA, Wing and UN.. stop wanting to spend money on feckin hats when they can spend it on something needed by lads on the ground!

33. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, TangoSierra, HavocIRL liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having served with an army with fancy badges and hats, I'll disagree with you. There is significant pride in unit insignia and as such it's worn with pride. It's up to the unit to make that insignia count for something and to build and uphold the heritage and reputation that is associated with such insignia. TRFs generate pride, banter, esprit de corps and promotes competition between units which only acts as force betterment. If you don't think it does, it's because you probably haven't served within such an aforesaid military culture.

Personally, I think the DF is souless without it.

To quote Napoleon Bonaparte, "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
    Last edited by SwiftandSure; 21st January 2014 at 17:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    berets do! Even RDF berets come with the patches fitted...the Glengarry doesn't so why should one be fitted?

If the admin instruction suggests that red patches are to be worn, they should be fitted.

As with the private purchase items for the SD No 1s... why should you buy Lanyads , patches etc... if they are expected to be worn, should be supplied.

The concept of items such as lanyards not being standardized has lead to some horrible interpretations of the actual item being worn, ironically the newer cavalry lanyard being a good example with the colours and brading being incorrect and look totally out of place against the actual colours.

Many moons ago when wearing of rank sliders as opposed to brassards came to being it was suggested that the unit be featured on the slider.
    Even the NS beret come with that red patch, its a right pain cutting it off!!. Big square indent in your beret for weeks!!!!

36. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    I don't think that different coloured berets are necessary, but I do think that we should wear TRFs on our DPM uniforms to indicate corps / units. It would develop a bit of patch pride if nothing else.
    "Patch pride"? gimme a break More shite to put on the uniform more like.I said it before.We have a TRF.Its called the tricolour!!

Because those are the regulations.By that rationale we shouldn't put up our rank or flashes either on our SD's because they don't come fitted.

Excuses excuses.See my last point about the flashes.Lame excuse.

As with the private purchase items for the SD No 1s... why should you buy Lanyards , patches etc... if they are expected to be worn, should be supplied.
    They are.All flashes have been on issue for the last few years.Lanyards for the last year or so. Standardised size too.No more titanic bow lines or pullthroughs
    Answered above.Sorted out since last year.

Never happened with the PA's or 2 Cav.They just use the army issue red felt and Bks tailor.

TRFs generate pride, banter, esprit de corps and promotes competition between units which only acts as force betterment.
    TRF's promote one upmanship,bickering,punch ups down the town when other units meet each other.If that's "force betterment" you can keep it.
    If you don't think it does, it's because you probably haven't served within such an aforesaid military culture.
    Bollox.The USMC don't have the "Regimental system" and the nearly coined the phrase Esprit de corps.One Badge.one allegiance.One force.
    Personally, I think the DF is souless without it.
    Again.Bollox.The DF has it's own traditions and bells and whistles.We don't need to import another armies traditions to make us feel like soldiers.
    To quote Napoleon Bonaparte, "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
    We have those too.They are called medals.And Bonaparte was wrong.Soldiers fight for the guy beside them.Not a country/flag/piece of ribbon or even medals.

- Rob Reiner.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason I just can't pin down I keep thinking that the Transport Corps should wear a brown beret.
    OK Smith it’s Colonel Decker. I hate it when a plan comes together. You’re surrounded. I want you and Peck and Baracus, to throw out your weapons, all the ration packs you stole and come out with your hands up. You have fifteen seconds.

Thread Information