Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  99
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    if things were to change and the different Corps be identified, my fantasy fashion fix would be to keep black beret for all personnel (PDF & RDF) and have different colour felt patch behind cap badge. E.g. current red for infantry, current green for RDF, and so on.

ARW would keep green berets, perhaps with their original Corps colour patch to give a link back to rest of DF.
    Cav keep Glengarry, PDF with one colour patch and RDF with green.
    RDF officers lose Glengarry and wear beret or peaked cap as appropriate.
    PA's keep red beret as is.
    NS keep their current arrangement.

it would be similar but on larger scale to when apprentices, etc. had different colour felt on beret before passing out when they changed to rest of DF red patch. Cost saving by reducing number of different head-dresses on issue, maintains a uniform appearance throughout DF but still gives a bit of individuality to each Corps.

Gok Wan would be proud of us
    decent idea i think, although SF troops should only ever refer to their military origin in death or retirement.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

2. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    if things were to change and the different Corps be identified, my fantasy fashion fix would be to keep black beret for all personnel (PDF & RDF) and have different colour felt patch behind cap badge. E.g. current red for infantry, current green for RDF, and so on.

ARW would keep green berets, perhaps with their original Corps colour patch to give a link back to rest of DF.
    Cav keep Glengarry, PDF with one colour patch and RDF with green.
    RDF officers lose Glengarry and wear beret or peaked cap as appropriate.
    PA's keep red beret as is.
    NS keep their current arrangement.

it would be similar but on larger scale to when apprentices, etc. had different colour felt on beret before passing out when they changed to rest of DF red patch. Cost saving by reducing number of different head-dresses on issue, maintains a uniform appearance throughout DF but still gives a bit of individuality to each Corps.

Gok Wan would be proud of us
    why not unit felt patch behind the cap badge like the TRF that the brits use
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saab View Post
    Why do PAs wear red?
    Fair question. First reaction would copying the Brits. Many other European armies have red berets for their MPs. My guess (not checked yet) is that is a colour representing justice or the law?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always felt that the original issue Glengarry to RDF officers was prob about as close to the floppy volunteer was was poss in the DF
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always felt that the original issue Glengarry to RDF officers was prob about as close to the floppy volunteer was was poss in the DF
    Never understood why they used the Glengarry for Non Cavalry officers and why FCA officers uniforms differed from their PDF counterparts for so long.

I think its an appropriate time to adress this issue once and for all.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

7. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if there really is a reason.

According to wiki the military police that wear red are

Royal Military Police - Provost branch of the British Army
    Royal Australian Corps of Military Police
    Corps of Military Police India
    Sri Lanka Corps of Military Police
    Canadian Forces Military Police
    Feldjäger - Military Police of the German Bundeswehr
    Royal Military Police - Malaysian MP
    Póilíní Airm - Irish Defence Forces Military Police (Ireland)
    Danish Military Police
    Military Police - Kuwait Army
    Royal Military Police - Jordan armed force

Red is worn in many other countries by other units and also MPs wear other corps colours so it is not a given that it is a corps colour. It is just our corps choosen colour.

Someone said about the berets promoting esprit de corps.
    This being the case then should reservists not be proud of the green beret or black with green patch or what eve colour someone were to decide it should be?
    After all even though spread through the traditional corps would reserve not be seen as a corps too?
    With the single force concept where we are working more and more along side the PDF surely it is not a good time to loose our identity.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Smith it’s Colonel Decker. I hate it when a plan comes together. You’re surrounded. I want you and Peck and Baracus, to throw out your weapons, all the ration packs you stole and come out with your hands up. You have fifteen seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    11th Huzzars were the first BAOR unit to operate Chieftan MBTs, worked with a guy, who still lives in Clonmel who served as WO1 with them.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel decker View Post

MOD:It has taken you a week to reply to my challenge and now you do with a link to a site giving the history of the dress of not only a foreign unit but of a completely different corps to the one you were suggesting should wear brown? S+T or Transport corps as they are more properly known are not an armored unit.Your point is not valid or even plausible.No.You were trying to slag the Tpt lads off and are now trying to backtrack.Weak.Infraction awarded.
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

12. Likes Goldie fish, hptmurphy, Truck Driver liked this post
    Dislikes kermit disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does S&T not fall under the title of Logistics now?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know they are still part of the transport corps.They were,up till last year,part of the LSB's. That's gone now.
    I believe they are now called brigade Transport companies but will confirm.

EDIT: They are called Field transport companies and form part of 1 and 2 "Brigade CSS Element".
    Last edited by apod; 9th February 2014 at 09:23.
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

15. Thanks Buck, hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    I know they are still part of the transport corps.They were,up till last year,part of the LSB's. That's gone now.
    I believe they are now called brigade Transport companies but will confirm.

EDIT: They are called Field transport companies and form part of 1 and 2 "Brigade CSS Element".
    Bde Tpt Group I believe is the current term ?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Not according to the new CS4

- Rob Reiner.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh... guess units will be changing signage then....

Post Thanks / Like
    Tpt Group is only where you are TD

Post Thanks / Like
    Should it not be TVM corps rather than tpt corps or CSS / logistics as a corps nowadays?.

If you look at Arty, CIS and Inf they have their owm motor pools and drivers who would not be considering themselves tpt corps.
    Where as tpt corps themselves have moved on.
    Their uniqueness lies in the logistics, maintenance and recovery functions which is a lot more than just transport.

Just a comment not contradicting any one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Bde Tpt Group I believe is the current term ?
    Correct and right.
    I was going by the last copy I saw,a draft.I checked it on the intranet today and it is indeed Bde Tpt Croup,a part of the Bde CSS element.My bad.

- Rob Reiner.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

22. Likes Truck Driver, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Tpt Group is only where you are TD
    Not so, T

Post Thanks / Like
    once S +T always S +T.
    OK Smith it’s Colonel Decker. I hate it when a plan comes together. You’re surrounded. I want you and Peck and Baracus, to throw out your weapons, all the ration packs you stole and come out with your hands up. You have fifteen seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slightly off berrets but still on unit / corps ID.

I was in Bricins last week and I noticed a num,ber of the medics wearing a large badge on their right shoulder of their DPM shirts.
    It looked like the blue star/cross on the side of the ambulance but with a I in the middle

Is this corps/coy insignia or a developement of the red cross badge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saab View Post
    Slightly off berrets but still on unit / corps ID.

I was in Bricins last week and I noticed a num,ber of the medics wearing a large badge on their right shoulder of their DPM shirts.
    It looked like the blue star/cross on the side of the ambulance but with a I in the middle

Is this corps/coy insignia or a developement of the red cross badge?
    EMT Badge?

http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com...ash_index.html

Edit: I've noticed that that link doesn't direct the user to the medical page. Select the Army section, select Medical and scroll down.
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Post Thanks / Like
    not the IFOR badge

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    EMT Badge?

http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com...ash_index.html

Edit: I've noticed that that link doesn't direct the user to the medical page. Select the Army section, select Medical and scroll down.
    Thanks

EMT badge it is.

29. Likes Buck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I think of it, back in the day when Air Corps personnel wore army green, enlisted ranks wore the standard PDF black beret, with a light blue backing felt patch for the cap badge. Same as for Army/Air Corps apprentices. FCA personnel used to wear black berets years ago. I've even seen photos of FCA personnel of the era wearing the black beret with the red backing patch...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    I've even seen photos of FCA personnel of the era wearing the black beret with the red backing patch...
    Wow, no sh*t TD.

I'll let you in on a little secret, I had one as well.
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
    Who is number 1?

Thread Information