Corp specific berets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
    if things were to change and the different Corps be identified, my fantasy fashion fix would be to keep black beret for all personnel (PDF & RDF) and have different colour felt patch behind cap badge. E.g. current red for infantry, current green for RDF, and so on.

ARW would keep green berets, perhaps with their original Corps colour patch to give a link back to rest of DF.
    Cav keep Glengarry, PDF with one colour patch and RDF with green.
    RDF officers lose Glengarry and wear beret or peaked cap as appropriate.
    PA's keep red beret as is.
    NS keep their current arrangement.

it would be similar but on larger scale to when apprentices, etc. had different colour felt on beret before passing out when they changed to rest of DF red patch. Cost saving by reducing number of different head-dresses on issue, maintains a uniform appearance throughout DF but still gives a bit of individuality to each Corps.

Gok Wan would be proud of us
    decent idea i think, although SF troops should only ever refer to their military origin in death or retirement.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
      if things were to change and the different Corps be identified, my fantasy fashion fix would be to keep black beret for all personnel (PDF & RDF) and have different colour felt patch behind cap badge. E.g. current red for infantry, current green for RDF, and so on.

ARW would keep green berets, perhaps with their original Corps colour patch to give a link back to rest of DF.
      Cav keep Glengarry, PDF with one colour patch and RDF with green.
      RDF officers lose Glengarry and wear beret or peaked cap as appropriate.
      PA's keep red beret as is.
      NS keep their current arrangement.

it would be similar but on larger scale to when apprentices, etc. had different colour felt on beret before passing out when they changed to rest of DF red patch. Cost saving by reducing number of different head-dresses on issue, maintains a uniform appearance throughout DF but still gives a bit of individuality to each Corps.

Gok Wan would be proud of us
      why not unit felt patch behind the cap badge like the TRF that the brits use
      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Saab View Post
        Why do PAs wear red?
        Fair question. First reaction would copying the Brits. Many other European armies have red berets for their MPs. My guess (not checked yet) is that is a colour representing justice or the law?
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I have always felt that the original issue Glengarry to RDF officers was prob about as close to the floppy volunteer was was poss in the DF
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I have always felt that the original issue Glengarry to RDF officers was prob about as close to the floppy volunteer was was poss in the DF
            Never understood why they used the Glengarry for Non Cavalry officers and why FCA officers uniforms differed from their PDF counterparts for so long.

I think its an appropriate time to adress this issue once and for all.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I don't know if there really is a reason.

According to wiki the military police that wear red are

Royal Military Police - Provost branch of the British Army
              Royal Australian Corps of Military Police
              Corps of Military Police India
              Sri Lanka Corps of Military Police
              Canadian Forces Military Police
              Feldjäger - Military Police of the German Bundeswehr
              Royal Military Police - Malaysian MP
              Póilíní Airm - Irish Defence Forces Military Police (Ireland)
              Danish Military Police
              Military Police - Kuwait Army
              Royal Military Police - Jordan armed force

Red is worn in many other countries by other units and also MPs wear other corps colours so it is not a given that it is a corps colour. It is just our corps choosen colour.

Someone said about the berets promoting esprit de corps.
              This being the case then should reservists not be proud of the green beret or black with green patch or what eve colour someone were to decide it should be?
              After all even though spread through the traditional corps would reserve not be seen as a corps too?
              With the single force concept where we are working more and more along side the PDF surely it is not a good time to loose our identity.

Comment

Good military reason..... http://www.krh.org.uk/origins-of-the-brown-beret.html

Comment

11th Huzzars were the first BAOR unit to operate Chieftan MBTs, worked with a guy, who still lives in Clonmel who served as WO1 with them.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by colonel decker View Post

MOD:It has taken you a week to reply to my challenge and now you do with a link to a site giving the history of the dress of not only a foreign unit but of a completely different corps to the one you were suggesting should wear brown? S+T or Transport corps as they are more properly known are not an armored unit.Your point is not valid or even plausible.No.You were trying to slag the Tpt lads off and are now trying to backtrack.Weak.Infraction awarded.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Does S&T not fall under the title of Logistics now?

Comment

I know they are still part of the transport corps.They were,up till last year,part of the LSB's. That's gone now.
                        I believe they are now called brigade Transport companies but will confirm.

EDIT: They are called Field transport companies and form part of 1 and 2 "Brigade CSS Element".
                        Last edited by apod; 9 February 2014, 10:23.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                          I know they are still part of the transport corps.They were,up till last year,part of the LSB's. That's gone now.
                          I believe they are now called brigade Transport companies but will confirm.

EDIT: They are called Field transport companies and form part of 1 and 2 "Brigade CSS Element".
                          Bde Tpt Group I believe is the current term ?
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Not according to the new CS4

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Not according to the new CS4
                              Ahhh... guess units will be changing signage then....

Comment

Tpt Group is only where you are TD
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X