No announcement yet.

Corp specific berets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lads on the above mentioned tailors course also got instruction from the tailor from Collins bks cork he is apparently finishing his fashion degree and is by all a accounts a gifted guy

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
      The barrack tailors have a busy enough job. They are responsible for the alterations of uniforms for all members of the bn, mainly the other ranks, but officers sometimes get things done as well. They are flat out when it comes to GOH's, GOC's etc and there are now three companies of RDF to tailor for as well. Tailors also carry out regular duties that any other soldier would and there's plenty of times that they aren't at the workbench because they're off doing various other things. In addittion people going on courses may get bits and pieces of kit altered accordingly.
      Thanks, was genuinely asking.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Saab View Post
        I know you are just waiting for someone to ask you why.
        There's a reason why that pillock is on my ignore list, Saab...

Originally posted by northie View Post
        ...and there are now three companies of RDF to tailor for as well...
        Last time I approached a Bks tailor to get stuff done, the answer I got was "I don't do stuff for RDF..." - bellend... :(
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Don't the Cav Corps wear their langers on a different side to everyone else?
          yep

said same officer turned up wearing it on the left!!!!

Oh really??Would you like to put money on it??(I would advise against that as you would loose.He retired last year and before that he was the Bn tailor serving Clonmel AND Limerick).
          Was he based in Clonmel ?

care to pm me a name, just never knew there was a barrack tailor in Clonmel, SQMS used to send stuff out for adjustment up the town to a guy who had been an army tailor years ago.

Actually an Admin instruction but it has the DFR behind it so yeah.
          My reckoning on it would be the fact they are issued without a red patch no one has been arsed enforcing the regulation but in saying that our PDF cadre wore the red patch on theirs, but it didn't come supplied. But PDF units without a reserve element didn't beyond the 2nd.

So I wonder what happens these days where you have reservists and PDF in the single force concept,,how does the elitism fare out?

So begs the question whats the instruction for the RDF if the PDF wear a red patch that doesn't come fitted, should the RDF wear a green patch as per RDF berets?
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            Wasn't one in Clonmel.................
            There was one there in August 1997. He altered SD No. 1's for us for a GOC Guard of Honour

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              The BA make their troops buy coloured stable belts and TRF's and make them wear TRF's on their CAMOUFLAGED COMBAT UNIFORM(kinda defeats the purpose).
              to be fair the Stable Belts are not worn in the field or tactical situations, and the TRF's are indeed excellent in identifying the role of troops - but all such TRF's are on velcro plates that can be removed and interchanged with blanking plates if the tactical situation dictates it - just like your tri-colour so if identifying troops by TRF's is deemed a threat then it is easily put right. some TRF's look better than others.

we also wear trade and instructor qualifications (i.e. PTI, SAA, Anti-Tanks, Sniper, Machine-Gunner, Marksman) on our service dress and jumpers and certain other accouterments.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 January 2014, 15:56.
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Ah, barracks tailors.....some of them have a severe attitude problem, that occasionally needed to be sorted out with a bit of direct intervention. I encountered one jobsworth who implied that he didn't "do" techies, right before a GOH, and he implied that a bit of financial grease was needed to get things done. We brought back some RSM-shaped firepower and his attitude changed like magic. No wonder so much stuff is farmed out to civvies...
                regards
                GttC

Comment

I seem to remember this question of Corps Specific Berets banging around over ten years ago. The problem ( apart from the cost) was that the only reference you could draw the colours from was the DFR colour of the Corps . Whilst this was okay for the Infantry ( sand coloured or maroon, I think) , okayish for S and T ( slate gray) , pushing it for Sigs ( St Patricks Blue for Cis) ... It was downright pulling the pxxss for the gunners ( orange) . So whilst the infantry could mince around looking like lost paras or SAS men , the gunners would be marching around like the William of Orange Pipe and Flutes Band from Craigavon ..... I seem to remember it being particularly unpopular with the younger generation who were facing into their careers in orange as opposed to the senior types , months from retirement , who thought it was a grand idea.

A few other bright sparks thought a coquillage ( I think that's the name, a feathery thing like a fusilier wears, at the front of your beret) for the 3rd Bn in the curragh, I think it was this kind of thinking that led to the introduction of compulsory random drug testing !

Comment

A few other bright sparks thought a coquillage ( I think that's the name, a feathery thing like a fusilier wears, at the front of your beret) for the 3rd Bn in the curragh, I think it was this kind of thinking that led to the introduction of compulsory random drug testing !
                    Its called a "hackle".And that reference to the "Bloods" made me chuckle.No prizes for guessing that they were the only ones who were pushing it.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Thanks Apod, "hackle" it is , was having a French moment there for some strange reason . The auld "Bloods" always great for a laugh back in the day..... And as for some of the COs ....

Comment

There was a suggestion some years ago that the ceremonial headress would be that of the green felt type hat worn by the 1916 volunteeers....
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The Cronkie hat? The Black Broad brimmer?

Comment

I do like the idea of a corp TRF if the beret idea is too radical for some. Did we ever have unit flahes on working dress?

Comment

Yes.... until working dress ceased to exist

Comment

I can definitely remember having both rank markings and unit flashes on my working dress jumper towards the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X