Corp specific berets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    I do like the idea of a corp TRF if the beret idea is too radical for some. Did we ever have unit flahes on working dress?
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Yes.... until working dress ceased to exist
    Yes, until we went to the DPM uniform
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Was he based in Clonmel ?

care to pm me a name, just never knew there was a barrack tailor in Clonmel, SQMS used to send stuff out for adjustment up the town to a guy who had been an army tailor years ago.
      Yup.PM sent.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
        Its called a "hackle".And that reference to the "Bloods" made me chuckle.No prizes for guessing that they were the only ones who were pushing it.
        Posted about it before but a bright, forward thinking lt col act had some examples made up in the early 90's. Red beret n red&white hackle. For this display of initiative he was promoted out of the way. Ended up running the inf sch I think.
        Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

I can definitely remember having both rank markings and unit flashes on my working dress jumper towards the end.
          I wore brassards on both shirts and pullovers saved sewing on stripes and markings to everything.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            I wore brassards on both shirts and pullovers saved sewing on stripes and markings to everything.
            Wasn't an option for us. Too many honour guards.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Eventually managed to get a set of brassards made up from an old SD No 1 shirt, to wear with dress uniform. Still have 'em...
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

My old bn,s sop was rank markings unit flash and command flash on the jumper. Company office boys had brassards with the same flashes but had pen holder pockets.
                Side note we used to have to put black tape on the above flashes whilst in d laoise
                Last edited by kaiser; 25 January 2014, 10:42.

Comment

S+T Blue No Way

Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
                  I seem to remember this question of Corps Specific Berets banging around over ten years ago. The problem ( apart from the cost) was that the only reference you could draw the colours from was the DFR colour of the Corps . Whilst this was okay for the Infantry ( sand coloured or maroon, I think) , okayish for S and T ( slate gray) , pushing it for Sigs ( St Patricks Blue for Cis) ... It was downright pulling the pxxss for the gunners ( orange) . So whilst the infantry could mince around looking like lost paras or SAS men , the gunners would be marching around like the William of Orange Pipe and Flutes Band from Craigavon ..... I seem to remember it being particularly unpopular with the younger generation who were facing into their careers in orange as opposed to the senior types , months from retirement , who thought it was a grand idea.

A few other bright sparks thought a coquillage ( I think that's the name, a feathery thing like a fusilier wears, at the front of your beret) for the 3rd Bn in the curragh, I think it was this kind of thinking that led to the introduction of compulsory random drug testing !
                  You can't have S +T the same colour as Infantry Infantry is the main corps and should be either green or black. S+T should be brown,

Comment

Originally posted by colonel decker View Post
                    You can't have S +T the same colour as Infantry Infantry is the main corps and should be either green or black. S+T should be brown,

MOD:Please explain why the S+T should be brown bereted with a valid military reason.Failure to provide one will result in this and any further posts suggesting same as trolling and will be dealt with as such.Balls in your court.Please enlighten us all.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

For a feel for some really mouldy beret colours, check out the Corps colours of the Israeli Army. As I've kept saying, RDF should be in black berets with a green backing patch. Single Force Concept, removes one beret type from inventory, and gets rid of the multi shade berets currently seen on RDF personnel...

Comment

Apod,
                        Have you not asked an impossible question?

MOD: The question was not directed at you SAAB.If you have a query regarding the actions of moderators on this forum please feel free to take those queries to the appropriate area.IE:PM's.
                        Your own comments regarding the TpT corps have been removed as I believe they are another attempt to provoke a reaction from other forum members here who belong to that corps.Lets keep things civil.OK.

Further posts quoting your comments have been edited also.
                        Last edited by Saab; 3 February 2014, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
                          Err - did you not get the memo Saab ? Red is already spoken for... Military Police anyone... ?
                          Yes but Apod asked for valid military reason.

Why do PAs wear red?
                          Any valid military reason other than its in the regs.

Comment

Originally posted by Saab View Post

Why do PAs wear red?
                            So you can see the pricks coming, I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by Saab View Post
                              Yes but Apod asked for valid military reason.

Why do PAs wear red?
                              Re read Apod's post. He was asking Decker... :(

Comment

if things were to change and the different Corps be identified, my fantasy fashion fix would be to keep black beret for all personnel (PDF & RDF) and have different colour felt patch behind cap badge. E.g. current red for infantry, current green for RDF, and so on.

ARW would keep green berets, perhaps with their original Corps colour patch to give a link back to rest of DF.
                                Cav keep Glengarry, PDF with one colour patch and RDF with green.
                                RDF officers lose Glengarry and wear beret or peaked cap as appropriate.
                                PA's keep red beret as is.
                                NS keep their current arrangement.

it would be similar but on larger scale to when apprentices, etc. had different colour felt on beret before passing out when they changed to rest of DF red patch. Cost saving by reducing number of different head-dresses on issue, maintains a uniform appearance throughout DF but still gives a bit of individuality to each Corps.

Gok Wan would be proud of us
                                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                                X