Bridging vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridging vehicle

Was wondering if the Engineers are looking at anything like a REBS vehicle deployable bridge like the New Zealanders and US use

* http://www.army.mil.nz/our-capabilit...ing-system.htm

I don't see any mention of this type of equipment in the Irish Army inventory. Something for next years Santy list?

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Was wondering if the Engineers are looking at anything like a REBS vehicle deployable bridge like the New Zealanders and US use

* http://www.army.mil.nz/our-capabilit...ing-system.htm

I don't see any mention of this type of equipment in the Irish Army inventory. Something for next years Santy list?
    Engs have bridges.

One was used as a floating dock for the Special Olympics. I beieve when set up it can carry vehicles.

there is a foot bridge that has been used n many an ex in the glen.

I've seen the foot bride been manually placed but I don't know about the big bridge.

Comment

There's 4 types of bridges in the Engineer corps, Infantry assault bridge (small footbridge for infantry, placed by hand), Bailey bridge (Big yoke for vehicles), pontoon bridge and another type of bridge similiar to the bailey.

Comment

As far as I know the bailey can be lifted into place by cranes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack.s View Post
          There's 4 types of bridges in the Engineer corps, Infantry assault bridge (small footbridge for infantry, placed by hand), Bailey bridge (Big yoke for vehicles), pontoon bridge and another type of bridge similiar to the bailey.
          There are 5 bridges used by the Engineer corp at the moment. The Bailey bridge, Mabey Johnson LSB, Medium girder bridge, infantry assault bridge and the pontoon bridge.

Originally posted by Jack.s View Post
          As far as I know the bailey can be lifted into place by cranes!
          The Bailey is built by hand, you're thinking of the LSB.

As for vehicle launched bridges its something that we really should have. Hopefully it won't take too long to buy one or two. That REBS looks like a nice piece of kit.
          Last edited by smegers; 30 January 2014, 19:13.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, interesting stuff. Saw that the engineers had a number of different types of bridges in use, but a nice, modern-day, back up a truck and push a button option would be very 21st Century Hopefully it won't be too long in the future before they can get their hands on one or two.

Comment

we've got a decent selection of bridging options at our disposal.

Combat engineering is about mobility and counter-mobility. The Army’s engineering equipment solves problems, from bridging gaps to bomb disposal and vehicle recovery, it is the kit that keeps troops moving while limiting movement of the enemy.

the Titan is quite a beast.
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

----------------------
                Theirs not to make reply,
                Theirs not to reason why,
                Theirs but to do and die:
                Into the valley of Death
                Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade