Clear All

• Aid to the Civil Authorities

Army deployed in Limerick following ‘unprecedented’ flooding

Attached Files
    Last edited by Rhodes; 1 February 2014, 16:10. Reason: Photo added

There are good pics of the 12bn on Facebook
    I wonder are the 1st out in Galway I hear the city is badly flooded to

Comment

How comes civvies don't have to wear helmets and do familiarisation for ROPS?

Comment

C'mon Dev, time for some common sense, are you suggesting the DF should have told Limerick residents , " sorry lads , you need to do the ROPS Course, rules is rules, stay and float out" , that would certainly have endeared us hugely to the population at large. Maybe the lads only had minutes to get out the gate and seen as they were driving very very slowly , they made a call that it wasn't necessary. I noticed a lot of people in rescue boats didn't have life jackets either, big deal, great job done by everyone, Civil Defence, Council Staff, Guards, Limerick FB and our comrades in the Army.

You should have a look at a Reeling in the Years and what went on in the 70s and 80s with bus strikes, shocking stuff !

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
          C'mon Dev, time for some common sense, are you suggesting the DF should have told Limerick residents , " sorry lads , you need to do the ROPS Course, rules is rules, stay and float out" , that would certainly have endeared us hugely to the population at large. Maybe the lads only had minutes to get out the gate and seen as they were driving very very slowly , they made a call that it wasn't necessary. I noticed a lot of people in rescue boats didn't have life jackets either, big deal, great job done by everyone, Civil Defence, Council Staff, Guards, Limerick FB and our comrades in the Army.

You should have a look at a Reeling in the Years and what went on in the 70s and 80s with bus strikes, shocking stuff !
          Seen them on Reeling in the Years alright

If hardy soldiers have to do it (why I don't know) in case of injury (and claim) why not not-so hardy civies

Comment

*Starts to lift tail board* "Helmets and belts on yeah Grand" *Shuts tail board.*
            Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 2 February 2014, 10:59.
            Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

"Pictured on the Cork Bandon road where volunteers, Council workers, Gardaí and members of the Defence Forces from Collins Barracks, removed a number of fallen trees that blocked the main N71 Road at Innishannon".

Comment

Yes, my wife rang earlier and told me the weather is pretty hairy around our neck of the woods
                Guess I'll find out soon enough when I finish here in work and start the drive for home !
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post

"Pictured on the Cork Bandon road where volunteers, Council workers, Gardaí and members of the Defence Forces from Collins Barracks, removed a number of fallen trees that blocked the main N71 Road at Innishannon".

lol . look on any of the UK photos on events over there, all their guys do it caps on...some of ours even get caught with hands in pockets!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    lol . look on any of the UK photos on events over there, all their guys do it caps on...some of ours even get caught with hands in pockets!
                    They're Cav, they're not use to being outside doing a bit of work. Plus its a bit windy out, their fancy caps will need chinstraps.
                    Last edited by Rhodes; 12 February 2014, 21:56.

Comment

They aren't real cav. They are exiles from the 4th Bn who didn't wanna become gunners.

Also, there is no pain worse than the tail of a glengarry in the eye on a windy day....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        actually there are probably plenty of snaps of our lads with hands in pockets - but our PCS now comes with fleece lined pockets and putting your hands in them for a bit of protection is mostly deemed sensible, acceptable and allowed - except on parade of course.

and to be fair - other than the issue of personal protection equipment - the one dress related thing they did say to us during our flood protection duties was to wear our headdress at all times - so most of the time we did.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

They aren't real cav. They are exiles from the 4th Bn who didn't wanna become gunners.

Also, there is no pain worse than the tail of a glengarry in the eye on a windy day....
                          Yeah Real Cav know to tuck the ribbons under the brim of the headgear in the wind..no brainer.

on the subject of PPE that guy with the chain saw is an accident waiting to happen

the one dress related thing they did say to us during our flood protection duties was to wear our headdress at all times
                          Yeah stops bastards like me having a go!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Army called to help families in south Galway

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

I know the lad in the pic.He is Cav.True and true.Never 4 Bn.

As for the headdress thing.Most soldiers on work details last wednesday were told to take them off due to the high winds.
                              Last edited by apod; 15 February 2014, 14:10.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                              X