Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army Reservist deployed to bolster flood defences...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Reservist deployed to bolster flood defences...

Riflemen from the 7th Battalion The Rifles joined firefighters to build a dam with hundreds of sandbags to protect an electricity substation at Pingewood, Burghfield.

The substation supplies power for about 40,000 homes and businesses.

It comes as a number of severe flood warnings were issued along the Thames between Old Windsor and Datchet.

Army reservists are drafted in to help hold back flood waters threatening a electricity substation near Reading.

what's interesting about this one is that an Army Reserve unit (7RIFLES) was the point of the spear in this operation - with no Regular Army participation (at ground level) until the Relief In Place (RIP) this evening.

the operation was well co-ordinated from the outset when elements of the Battalion were mobilised, and we helped prevent the situation getting far worse.

and yes i am in some of the pics / video footage above.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 10 February 2014, 22:51.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

good job

Comment

Have you had to go down a rank with the move from Regs to Reserve RGJ?
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
        Have you had to go down a rank with the move from Regs to Reserve RGJ?
        nope - it's normal jogging at the same rank and same rate of pay (less 'X Factor') - which still works out at just under £100 per day for me for any Reserve service i attend.

we get a quarters day pay (up to one full days pay) for every 2 hours attendance.

you have to be free of any military service for at least 24hrs, so you leave the Regular Army then you re-take the Oath of Allegiance for the Army Reserve and crack on - not forgetting to pick up your £5000 ex Regular to Reserve payments along the way.

as the flooding is now an ongoing long-term Operation in the UK - Regulars will tend to run the show midday Sunday to midday Friday - with Reserve units covering weekends.

it works well, gives us good practice in all aspects of UK Ops including HO/TO with Regular Army counterparts and better integration and exploitation of the Army Reserve.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

well done....and sounds well organised.

i can only imagine the shambles we would produce calling up Reserve units for these situations (free man hours, etc.) but hey, "what did the Romans ever give us.....?"
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
            well done....and sounds well organised.

i can only imagine the shambles we would produce calling up Reserve units for these situations (free man hours, etc.) but hey, "what did the Romans ever give us.....?"
            being paid for it definitely makes a difference - i mean we are in the same Army doing the same job - why shouldn't we be paid?

confidence in the Army Reserve and the will to use them is also welcomed by the Regular Army - who get a well earned break and some downtime and a chance to go home at weekends as the Army Reserve fill their boots for some respite.

we have a long way to go, but we are certainly getting there in some instances and 7RIFLES pulled this one off quite well.

point to note - we have no differences in uniform or dress between Regular and Reserve forces - and this makes the whole process more seamless as you genuinely do not know if you are dealing with a full or part-time soldier which aids cohesion and gets rid of the 'us and them' stigma that i have seen in other forces between Regular and Reserve troops.

and as the weather closes in again - we have already been warned off for more similar operations this weekend (we all receive daily updates by SMS), and many Reservists have volunteered to do this full time for the duration.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

today our Riflemen from 7RIFLES (Army Reserve) and their vehicles were flown from their base in Reading to the Isle of Wight by RAF Chinook to help out in flood defence duties.

watch the video here: http://news.sky.com/story/1211986/ex...r-deadly-storm

this highlights the capability of and confidence in the Army Reserve and allows us to give respite to the Regular Army, while delivering valuable assistance to those who really need it.

it's also great to see no differentiation between Regular and Reserve forces - except for what days of the week we operate.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Surely it would have been quicker to drive from Reading?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What if the roads were blocked due to flood water and downed trees??
                  I,d imagine A to B by heli is faster more direct and would give you good eyes on the situation on the ground

Comment

I'm not so sure. The prep required to get aircraft, vehicles and troops in the air and down to the Solent, could in my opinion have better been used in sending the same vehicles down the M3, armed with chain saws and rigid raiders. Clear the route.

It would also assist in the transit of any follow up aid convoys.

I have to ask though, what were the RN/RM doing?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Cool, well done !!
                      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        I'm not so sure. The prep required to get aircraft, vehicles and troops in the air and down to the Solent, could in my opinion have better been used in sending the same vehicles down the M3, armed with chain saws and rigid raiders. Clear the route.

It would also assist in the transit of any follow up aid convoys.

I have to ask though, what were the RN/RM doing?
                        As part of the military response to the flooding crisis across the land, there are nearly 950 Royal Navy men and women on the ground helping affected communities: 340 from 40 Commando, 200 jointly from Collingwood and Sultan, and 200 apiece from the Fleet Air Arm’s principal bases at Yeovilton and Culdrose.

Comment

RGJ can you give us some idea of acres/ hectares flooded in the UK and can any one provide figures for are flooded in Ireland.

Would like to compare to get an overview of impact by floods.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Surely it would have been quicker to drive from Reading?
                            it's over 60 miles drive to Portsmouth from Reading and some of that route contains it's own obstacles to be crossed however these were being tackled by other troops.

it could have taken up to 5 hours to get there there however they can be on task within an hour of leaving Reading by flying into position.

there were other troops looking after other areas in Hampshire and Berkshire and other counties - our unit was tasked to provide rapid support where and when required - and it was decided we were required on the Isle of Wight and that is where we should be sent - flying there was the right thing to do.

this evening RAF Puma's ferried Regular troops into the Isle of Wight to relieve the Reservist and bring them back to Reading for dispersal, while Army Lynx's conducted more aerial reconnaissance and close support.

i believe the Royal Marines and Royal Navy have been concentrated in Somerset and Devon and other areas in the South West.

as for the areas covered by floods i have no idea Murph, however the RAF have been flying Tornado GR4's and Sentinel R1's over affected areas to get an accurate scale of this:

read more: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/r...lood-hit-areas
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              RGJ can you give us some idea of acres/ hectares flooded in the UK and can any one provide figures for are flooded in Ireland.

Would like to compare to get an overview of impact by floods.
                              Google Irish Map of Flooding

Comment

Working...
                              X