Ministerial Air Transport Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    I wouldn't begrudge her a seat in that jet any day.I'd even give GH a go in it, if ti stopped fatarse Harney using State aircraft to go and open off-licenses.
    regards
    GttC
    There is a part of me that could (perhaps) not give a toss about her using the government jet for that little jaunt, but to use a fishery protection aircraft? Would the CASA have been redesignated as MATS on the day? Genuine question.
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Yes. Any Air Corpsw aircraft can be used for MAT. Perhaps the runway in Sligo wasnt long enough for a GIV? Either way it was an absolute disgrace.
      "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Hi there,
        Funny how you never see Ministers asking to use the Cessnas for short-range MATS.........if Sharon Cummins had been depending on GOAL to get her home, she'd be still queueing at Khartoum Airport.
        regards
        GttC

Comment

mary harney? In a cessna? If you did manage to get her in ghrough the door, the aircraft would start to sit on two wheels
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Dillon View Post
            Groundhog, are you trying to wind everyone up or are you actually just a small-minded, spiteful clown as your posts seem to portray you? You're something else.
            Careful you can be moderated for name calling. I'm actually a realist.

But in general I am in fact small-minded, spiteful, cynical, snarling, captious, currish, sneering, disbelieving, misantrophic, negative, jaded, distrustful, disdainful, sceptical, sarcastic and mistrustful.

Ms Commins is acquiring cult status as a result of her kidnapping. Personally I think she should have stayed at home and not risked her life and inconvenienced others getting her released from captivity, but that's just me. Now that she has been released she's being used as PR by various Aid Agencies (who want to highlight their agenda) and the Dept of Foreign Affairs (because Mickey Martin wants to get elected leader of FF when Cowen gets the bum's rush). Hnece the government jet etc.

Originally posted by FoxtrotRK View Post
            Did her choice of eggs really offend you to this extent?
            No. One would imagine that someone in fear of her life for three months might have other things on her mind.

In this case my scepticism feeds on a diet of eggs benedict.
            Last edited by Groundhog; 24 October 2009, 00:03.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
            My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
              Careful you can be moderated for name calling. I'm actually a realist.

But in general I am in fact small-minded, spiteful, cynical, snarling, captious, currish, sneering, disbelieving, misantrophic, negative, jaded, distrustful, disdainful, sceptical, sarcastic and mistrustful.
              Ha, ok, my apologies! I didnt actually call you anything though, I was just asking were you those things. But in fairness though are you actually serious? You're saying that instead of volunteering to help others less fortunate than her she should have stayed at home like yourself and not 'inconvenienced' others i.e. the Irish and Sudanese governments as well as others.

Forgive me but I thought the primary function of both institutions is to do precisely that; inconvenience themselves in order to aid and protect their citizens (including those who are residing within their borders at any time).
              "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Sorry guys Im with Groundhog,
                If the only reason we can justify a Governmet jet is ti fly home 2 hostages (Im glad they are both ok and cannot imagine what they went through) home in 20 years its a bit of a hard sell.

Comment

But in fairness though are you actually serious? You're saying that instead of volunteering to help others less fortunate than her she should have stayed at home like yourself and not 'inconvenienced' others i.e. the Irish and Sudanese governments as well as others.
                  Yes. I'm a lot cynical about the Aid Industry.

Did the help Ms Commins provided anyone justify the trouble caused by her going to Sudan and getting kidnapped? Does the Aid Industry fulfil its function? I would say No to both questions. Africa is a money pit into which we pour aid that solves nothing. People like Ms Commins head off to get their photo taken with little black babies.

Looks good in a resume. Just like my overseas service.

Forgive me but I thought the primary function of both institutions is to do precisely that; inconvenience themselves in order to aid and protect their citizens (including those who are residing within their borders at any time).
                  Well you would be wrong.
                  sigpic

Comment

Has anyone looked into how much it would have cost to charter a private aircraft or an aero med company as opposed to sending the government jet ?
                    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                      But in general I am in fact small-minded, spiteful, cynical, snarling, captious, currish, sneering, disbelieving, misantrophic, negative, jaded, distrustful, disdainful, sceptical, sarcastic and mistrustful
                      In other words, a CQMS!!
                      Last edited by WES; 24 October 2009, 13:26.
                      The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

I don't think the Sudanese government is able to protect much at this stage.

Originally posted by Tadpole View Post
                        If the only reason we can justify a Governmet jet is to fly home 2 hostages
                        Who was the second hostage that was flown home?
                        Last edited by WES; 24 October 2009, 13:27.

Comment

I think your mixing everything into the one pot here-

for a start no one ever hear d a [peep about Miss Cummins when she was working thos other couple of

years for Goal- she only came to the public attention when she was kidnapped- she

didnt ask to be kidnapped and she never once looked for celebrity cult status- or have you heard

something from some other sources- what ever anyone may think about giving aid to africa

she is a young Irish woman who could have been sitting every night in Copper faces or working in

some accountancy practice- instead she chose to give up all of that and actually do something to

help others in this world- the people she was helping are not the corrupt dictators but the ordinary

people of the world-

as a society we should always help our own and if this meant flying out the govt jet to bring her home

10 minuets quicker than an ordinary flight- well bully for her.

When I came back from my first trip to the leb- my mam asked me what I was most looking forward

to I said a chicken buster burger from the local chipper- I dont think any sane rational person

pigeon holed me for that statement- I dont think any sane rational person would judge me as

unworthy because of that.

I am glad she is home safe- I am happy for her family and freinds but I am also a bit happy and proud

that an Irish girl went out into harms way not for money- not for fame - not even for a medal

but simply to help those less fortunate than herself-

add petty cheap cantankerous and miserable to your list.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Aid agencies sometimes do more harm then good. When they're good, enganging with locals, fostering local enterprise and local knowledge, not imposing their own ideas on communities, they've good. often this isn't the case, often they've got an agenda e.g. religious or political, and often their seen as condescending outsiders.

As for volunteers, by the nature of the beast, they're a mixed bunch. Some people want to save/change the world, without realising that they really need to change themselves. some want to take some time for themselves. some do it to burnish their career, some want adventure, some are very good and genuine at what they do.

However i would not begrudge her a seat home in the government jet
                            Last edited by paul g; 25 October 2009, 01:13.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              I think your mixing everything into the one pot here-

for a start no one ever hear d a [peep about Miss Cummins when she was working thos other couple of

years for Goal- she only came to the public attention when she was kidnapped- she

didnt ask to be kidnapped and she never once looked for celebrity cult status- or have you heard

something from some other sources- what ever anyone may think about giving aid to africa

she is a young Irish woman who could have been sitting every night in Copper faces or working in

some accountancy practice- instead she chose to give up all of that and actually do something to

help others in this world- the people she was helping are not the corrupt dictators but the ordinary

people of the world-

as a society we should always help our own and if this meant flying out the govt jet to bring her home

10 minuets quicker than an ordinary flight- well bully for her.

When I came back from my first trip to the leb- my mam asked me what I was most looking forward

to I said a chicken buster burger from the local chipper- I dont think any sane rational person

pigeon holed me for that statement- I dont think any sane rational person would judge me as

unworthy because of that.

I am glad she is home safe- I am happy for her family and freinds but I am also a bit happy and proud

that an Irish girl went out into harms way not for money- not for fame - not even for a medal

but simply to help those less fortunate than herself-

add petty cheap cantankerous and miserable to your list.
                              Good for you. I just don't share your opinions.

I wonder will they make the same hoopla when they get Fr Sinnott back?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                                Who was the second hostage that was flown home?
                                Maybe it was the copilot. It could be that he subscribes to the same school of philosophy as GroundHog and just didn't not want to fly there in the first place to pick up some no good Irish humanitarian.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Working...
                                X