Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  306
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 636
  1. #76
    Orpheus WES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lost without my Navman
    Posts
    1,134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    I wouldn't begrudge her a seat in that jet any day.I'd even give GH a go in it, if ti stopped fatarse Harney using State aircraft to go and open off-licenses.
    regards
    GttC
    There is a part of me that could (perhaps) not give a toss about her using the government jet for that little jaunt, but to use a fishery protection aircraft? Would the CASA have been redesignated as MATS on the day? Genuine question.
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

  2. #77
    Nijmegen Neanderthal Eddie Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Oosterbeek
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Any Air Corpsw aircraft can be used for MAT. Perhaps the runway in Sligo wasnt long enough for a GIV? Either way it was an absolute disgrace.
    "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

    Otto Von Bismark

  3. #78
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there,
    Funny how you never see Ministers asking to use the Cessnas for short-range MATS.........if Sharon Cummins had been depending on GOAL to get her home, she'd be still queueing at Khartoum Airport.
    regards
    GttC

  4. #79
    Teuton Foot Soldier ZULU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Real Republic
    Posts
    6,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    mary harney? In a cessna? If you did manage to get her in ghrough the door, the aircraft would start to sit on two wheels
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

  5. #80
    Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    S 116 349
    Posts
    10,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dillon View Post
    Groundhog, are you trying to wind everyone up or are you actually just a small-minded, spiteful clown as your posts seem to portray you? You're something else.
    Careful you can be moderated for name calling. I'm actually a realist.

    But in general I am in fact small-minded, spiteful, cynical, snarling, captious, currish, sneering, disbelieving, misantrophic, negative, jaded, distrustful, disdainful, sceptical, sarcastic and mistrustful.

    Ms Commins is acquiring cult status as a result of her kidnapping. Personally I think she should have stayed at home and not risked her life and inconvenienced others getting her released from captivity, but that's just me. Now that she has been released she's being used as PR by various Aid Agencies (who want to highlight their agenda) and the Dept of Foreign Affairs (because Mickey Martin wants to get elected leader of FF when Cowen gets the bum's rush). Hnece the government jet etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotRK View Post
    Did her choice of eggs really offend you to this extent?
    No. One would imagine that someone in fear of her life for three months might have other things on her mind.

    In this case my scepticism feeds on a diet of eggs benedict.
    Last edited by Groundhog; 23rd October 2009 at 23:03.

    Say NO to violence against Women

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

  6. #81
    Nijmegen Neanderthal Eddie Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Oosterbeek
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    Careful you can be moderated for name calling. I'm actually a realist.

    But in general I am in fact small-minded, spiteful, cynical, snarling, captious, currish, sneering, disbelieving, misantrophic, negative, jaded, distrustful, disdainful, sceptical, sarcastic and mistrustful.
    Ha, ok, my apologies! I didnt actually call you anything though, I was just asking were you those things. But in fairness though are you actually serious? You're saying that instead of volunteering to help others less fortunate than her she should have stayed at home like yourself and not 'inconvenienced' others i.e. the Irish and Sudanese governments as well as others.

    Forgive me but I thought the primary function of both institutions is to do precisely that; inconvenience themselves in order to aid and protect their citizens (including those who are residing within their borders at any time).
    "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

    Otto Von Bismark

  7. #82
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    907
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys Im with Groundhog,
    If the only reason we can justify a Governmet jet is ti fly home 2 hostages (Im glad they are both ok and cannot imagine what they went through) home in 20 years its a bit of a hard sell.

  8. #83
    Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    S 116 349
    Posts
    10,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dillon View Post
    But in fairness though are you actually serious? You're saying that instead of volunteering to help others less fortunate than her she should have stayed at home like yourself and not 'inconvenienced' others i.e. the Irish and Sudanese governments as well as others.
    Yes. I'm a lot cynical about the Aid Industry.

    Did the help Ms Commins provided anyone justify the trouble caused by her going to Sudan and getting kidnapped? Does the Aid Industry fulfil its function? I would say No to both questions. Africa is a money pit into which we pour aid that solves nothing. People like Ms Commins head off to get their photo taken with little black babies.

    Looks good in a resume. Just like my overseas service.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dillon View Post
    Forgive me but I thought the primary function of both institutions is to do precisely that; inconvenience themselves in order to aid and protect their citizens (including those who are residing within their borders at any time).
    Well you would be wrong.

    Say NO to violence against Women

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

  9. #84
    Closed knocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone looked into how much it would have cost to charter a private aircraft or an aero med company as opposed to sending the government jet ?

  10. #85
    Orpheus WES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lost without my Navman
    Posts
    1,134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    But in general I am in fact small-minded, spiteful, cynical, snarling, captious, currish, sneering, disbelieving, misantrophic, negative, jaded, distrustful, disdainful, sceptical, sarcastic and mistrustful
    In other words, a CQMS!!
    Last edited by WES; 24th October 2009 at 12:26.
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

  11. #86
    Orpheus WES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lost without my Navman
    Posts
    1,134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dillon View Post
    Forgive me but I thought the primary function of both institutions is to do precisely that; inconvenience themselves in order to aid and protect their citizens (including those who are residing within their borders at any time).
    I don't think the Sudanese government is able to protect much at this stage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    If the only reason we can justify a Governmet jet is to fly home 2 hostages
    Who was the second hostage that was flown home?
    Last edited by WES; 24th October 2009 at 12:27.
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

  12. #87
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think your mixing everything into the one pot here-

    for a start no one ever hear d a [peep about Miss Cummins when she was working thos other couple of

    years for Goal- she only came to the public attention when she was kidnapped- she

    didnt ask to be kidnapped and she never once looked for celebrity cult status- or have you heard

    something from some other sources- what ever anyone may think about giving aid to africa

    she is a young Irish woman who could have been sitting every night in Copper faces or working in

    some accountancy practice- instead she chose to give up all of that and actually do something to

    help others in this world- the people she was helping are not the corrupt dictators but the ordinary

    people of the world-

    as a society we should always help our own and if this meant flying out the govt jet to bring her home

    10 minuets quicker than an ordinary flight- well bully for her.

    When I came back from my first trip to the leb- my mam asked me what I was most looking forward

    to I said a chicken buster burger from the local chipper- I dont think any sane rational person

    pigeon holed me for that statement- I dont think any sane rational person would judge me as

    unworthy because of that.

    I am glad she is home safe- I am happy for her family and freinds but I am also a bit happy and proud

    that an Irish girl went out into harms way not for money- not for fame - not even for a medal

    but simply to help those less fortunate than herself-

    add petty cheap cantankerous and miserable to your list.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  13. #88
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aid agencies sometimes do more harm then good. When they're good, enganging with locals, fostering local enterprise and local knowledge, not imposing their own ideas on communities, they've good. often this isn't the case, often they've got an agenda e.g. religious or political, and often their seen as condescending outsiders.

    As for volunteers, by the nature of the beast, they're a mixed bunch. Some people want to save/change the world, without realising that they really need to change themselves. some want to take some time for themselves. some do it to burnish their career, some want adventure, some are very good and genuine at what they do.

    However i would not begrudge her a seat home in the government jet
    Last edited by paul g; 25th October 2009 at 00:13.

  14. #89
    Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    S 116 349
    Posts
    10,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    I think your mixing everything into the one pot here-

    for a start no one ever hear d a [peep about Miss Cummins when she was working thos other couple of

    years for Goal- she only came to the public attention when she was kidnapped- she

    didnt ask to be kidnapped and she never once looked for celebrity cult status- or have you heard

    something from some other sources- what ever anyone may think about giving aid to africa

    she is a young Irish woman who could have been sitting every night in Copper faces or working in

    some accountancy practice- instead she chose to give up all of that and actually do something to

    help others in this world- the people she was helping are not the corrupt dictators but the ordinary

    people of the world-

    as a society we should always help our own and if this meant flying out the govt jet to bring her home

    10 minuets quicker than an ordinary flight- well bully for her.

    When I came back from my first trip to the leb- my mam asked me what I was most looking forward

    to I said a chicken buster burger from the local chipper- I dont think any sane rational person

    pigeon holed me for that statement- I dont think any sane rational person would judge me as

    unworthy because of that.

    I am glad she is home safe- I am happy for her family and freinds but I am also a bit happy and proud

    that an Irish girl went out into harms way not for money- not for fame - not even for a medal

    but simply to help those less fortunate than herself-

    add petty cheap cantankerous and miserable to your list.
    Good for you. I just don't share your opinions.

    I wonder will they make the same hoopla when they get Fr Sinnott back?

    Say NO to violence against Women

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

  15. #90
    Aha: Death=Preconception Lordinajamjar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Who was the second hostage that was flown home?
    Maybe it was the copilot. It could be that he subscribes to the same school of philosophy as GroundHog and just didn't not want to fly there in the first place to pick up some no good Irish humanitarian.

  16. #91
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who was the second hostage that was flown home?
    When Brian Keenan was repatriated from lebanon many years ago now the government get also did the honours .
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

  17. #92
    Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    S 116 349
    Posts
    10,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by knocker View Post
    Has anyone looked into how much it would have cost to charter a private aircraft or an aero med company as opposed to sending the government jet ?
    Micky Martin won't get to be Taoiseach by chartering a private aircraft to fly nubile, blonde kidnap victims back from Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lordinajamjar View Post
    ..and just didn't not want to fly there in the first place ...
    didn't not ? Seriously?

    Say NO to violence against Women

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

  18. #93
    Aha: Death=Preconception Lordinajamjar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    didn't not ? Seriously?
    Seriously. Are you a petty officer?

  19. #94
    Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    S 116 349
    Posts
    10,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordinajamjar View Post
    Seriously. Are you a petty officer?
    There are no petty officers in the army. Just literate senior NCOs.

    Say NO to violence against Women

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

  20. #95
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    On this point you are being petty and not in a good way either
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  21. #96
    Aha: Death=Preconception Lordinajamjar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    There are no petty officers in the army. Just literate senior NCOs.
    I'd wager that the vast majority are not bitter and twisted.

  22. #97
    Private 2*
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    At the damn computer
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    If someone is picking out someone else's typo's just to make themselves look smarter or more intellectual, then really are they all that smart?!
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, its just unfortunate that there is somewhat sickening opinions out there.
    Fair play to all those volunteers who sacrifice their time and lives and the artificial betterment of their own lives to make those lives of others better!

  23. #98
    Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    S 116 349
    Posts
    10,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordinajamjar View Post
    I'd wager that the vast majority are not bitter and twisted.
    You'd lose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barno View Post
    If someone is picking out someone else's typo's just to make themselves look smarter or more intellectual, then really are they all that smart?!
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barno View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, its just unfortunate that there is somewhat sickening opinions out there.
    Tough. Deal with it.

    A few people I had this discussion with in real life have even more sickening opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barno View Post
    Fair play to all those volunteers who sacrifice their time and lives and the artificial betterment of their own lives to make those lives of others better!
    Yes, let's canonise Saint Sharon of the Eggs Benedict right away.

    Say NO to violence against Women

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

  24. #99
    Aha: Death=Preconception Lordinajamjar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    You'd lose.

    I never lose.

  25. #100
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few people I had this discussion with in real life have even more sickening opinions.

    We are so proud to have Nick Griffin on the board
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •