Ministerial Air Transport Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    There is a small rest area for crew (I think it has airline type seats).

They were used to bring civil servants to Belfast just after the GFA.
    Yeah mission equipment is in the back half, few seats in the front bit.
    Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Behind the flight deck there is a galley and maybe 6 airline type seats-it's been a while since I was in Baldonnel.

The last time I was in a Casa was at Fairford about 4/5 years ago and one of the comments made was the way the mission equipment and operators stations were fitted was a barrier to the use of the aircraft for anything much more than the mission they were intended for.

The problem was that the station(s) were fitted facing the side of the aircraft and not the more traditional (and obvious) forward facing. This caused a problem in that the mission fit, not being palletised, could not be removed without great dificulty, meaning that the aircraft could not be used for an emergency transport op, for example a resupply of a peacekeeping deployment.

Has this problem been rectified with the upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by smegers View Post
        I didn't know the CASA could take passengers. Isn't it full of surveillance equipment?
        Someone may correct me on this but I'm sure Mary Harney requisitioned the Casa a number of years ago to airlift her fat a*** to open an off-licence in Longford. Any takers?
        The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
        (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Was it a friend of her now husbands offie too? And the State car drove from dublin to meet her at the airport.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi there
            The mission equipment in the Casa was allegedly removable in two hours but that bore no relation to reality.I know because we tried! The old Casa, 250, was great for medevacs because every thing could be carried up the ramp and secured. Those medical teams carry a huge amount of gear, not to mention the bed or incubator of the patient, which takes up a huge amount of space.When the maritime Casa were used, in my time,for medevacs, it was common for kit to be stowed back in the mission space and even back as far as the ramp. The time is long overdue for a cargo aircraft to be bought for medevacs if the State still feels the need to do them. I don't see the RAF using Nimrods for medevacs any time soon....
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Was it a friend of her now husbands offie too? And the State car drove from dublin to meet her at the airport.
              Yes, that rings a bell.
              The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

It's the HSE who should be running a national airambulance and medevac service, not the Air Corps.

Comment

And if air ambulances were bought for the HSE you could bet your last euro that at some stage a minister would look for one of them to fly her/him to some "vital" constituency business.

Comment

"but it was going that way anyway"

Comment

Delighted to see the government jet finally being put to good use yesterday bringing back that girl from Sudan.

Comment

Watch them milk that one for all it's worth.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyshirt View Post
                          Delighted to see the government jet finally being put to good use yesterday bringing back that girl from Sudan.
                          Why? Did the government send her to Sudan?
                          sigpic
                          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                          My favourite moment was when the
                          Originally posted by hedgehog
                          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

If some minister had wanted it, I bet she would have had to go Ryanair!
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                              Why? Did the government send her to Sudan?
                              What are you getting at?

She went there voluntarily. To help those less fortunate. A very noble act. She endured a terrible time in captivity. A lot more deserved of the use of the Gulfstream than a lot of the times it gets wheeled out of the hangar.

I certainly have no problem with my tax money being used to bring home an Irish citizen who put herself in harms way to help others less fortunate and endured great hardship for it. Do you?

Comment

There is precedent, is there not? One of the Lebanon hostages was brought back by Government Jet in the 80s.

NTM
                                Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Working...
                                X