Pajero Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
    I do not know what the answer is, but I feel they are too vulnerable in the 4x4s at present.
    You may be right but then you are not the one carrying out the risk assessment.
    It wasn't long ago that soldiers carried out these duties in soft tops with no ballistic protection what so ever.
    That was at a time when there was a number of organisations active.

The move to hard tops was for improved crash protection as the risk was/is considered higher.
    The Gardai moved to using "stab vests" after some incidents that showed the vulnerability of it's members in modern times.
    While the army started to wear flack jackets at a time when most civvies would contend the risk has actually lessened.
    FMP's post really shows why we don't need anything other than what we have.
    Incidentally how many of those KIA died in a vehicles?
    If 4000+ soldiers die in a volatile area such as those above but only x% of them were convoy attacks then it would show the real risk to those in a vehicle.

Until that risk assessment changes there is not going to be any increase in the ballistic protection of the vehicles.
    Even if that risk were to change significantly any change in equipment will be in line with available cash and the ability to gain votes.
    Last edited by Saab; 15 June 2014, 15:00.

Comment

• To give an idea of the budget available, the Pajero contract (signed in December 2008) was for up to 320 vehicles over 4 years the value was 6.24 million.

The DF had an RFT for a 2 year drawdown contract for Mitsubishi Pajero spare parts valued at 150,000-200,000 Euros published in August 2013. Tenders were weighted towards cost (55%), lead time (25%), ability to supply (15%) and proposals for managing contract (5%).

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
        there made by mowag their burscher duros they had technical problems I believe due to the axles I think there making a come back soon
        Duro - that's the one
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Here's an example of a minibus tender

Comment

• While the army started to wear flack jackets at a time when most civvies would contend the risk has actually lessened

flakkers were on issue back to 1970s and were used
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by FMP View Post
              ... Only Brits in KAF are the bean stealers and some RAF Reg types wearing every piece of kit they have ever been issued cutting about in WIMIK's fighting their way to the front of the Q at Tim Hortons.
              Unfortunately for those who remained in KAF, the Tim Horton's was taken out when the Canadians left...

Originally posted by FMP View Post
              That's pretty much the entire Irish army wiped out in a decade to put it in perspective. One hell of a skirmish.
              This is a nice response to someone who suffers from small-man syndrome. It is similar to one I gave some time ago when someone criticized the length of the NATO mission in Afghanistan; then I responded with a comment about the length of the UN mission in Lebanon, and it put an end to the discussion... perspective is everything.
              "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• The UN exist in Lebanon to prevent it from becoming a complete shithole of inter-religious fighting. The Lebanese civil wars were characterised by endless cruelty from all sides and eventually, even the dumbest muppet realised that all the fighting and slaughter was pointless so now the UN defends what is effectively a fragmented Balkans for Arabs, with a pathetic Government, constant refugee problems and a tendency to kick off at any moment. Personally, I wouldn't have any Irish soldier within an asse's roar of the place. I think that only it's location at the end of the Med gives it any value.

regards
                GttC

Comment

• We got a ford ranger FFR to trial this week
                  Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Sorry, touch-screen and sausage fingers!
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by spider pig View Post
                      We got a ford ranger FFR to trial this week
                      Grab some pic's Spider Pig, would be nice to see the layout of the kit and the vic.
                      We travel not for trafficking alone,
                      By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                      For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                      We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

• i seen one two weeks ago looks the business two areial mounts on the front one on a bar on the roof
                        Last edited by madmark; 9 July 2014, 15:33.
                        Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

• The layout is as follows. Speakers and handsets on a forward board where the rear seat a rest would normally be. There is a slide window at head level which gives access to the boot/cargo rear. Radio on a platform just through the window for access
                          Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Originally posted by FMP View Post
                            Grab some pic's Spider Pig, would be nice to see the layout of the kit and the vic.
                            once it's only pic's from the outside..

Comment

• Originally posted by spider pig View Post
                              The layout is as follows. Speakers and handsets on a forward board where the rear seat a rest would normally be. There is a slide window at head level which gives access to the boot/cargo rear. Radio on a platform just through the window for access
                              Hard top?

Comment

• ya hard top
                                Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X