Getting Fit For The Army.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Fit For The Army.

Hey guys I was wondering is there any exercises I could do to help me get fit for the Army?
    Also where would the Army stand with people with Asthma wanting to join?

Thanks in advance

For one, you can NEVER tell the army you had asthma, ever. Secondly, just start enjoying getting fit. You'd want to be able to run 5km in 23/24 minutes, do some sort of circuit training, and some sort of high intensity training. For high intensity, you can do anything from a sprinting session on a footie pitch, to spin classes, or even a few INSANITY workouts. On top of these, get into a gym and so whatever weights you feel like - you can do squats, deadlifts and bench if you feel like it too, but these aren't a priority. If I could do it all again (get fit for the army) I'd do this over a 7 day period:

M - Steady state run: headphones on and comfortable pace for 4/5 miles
    T - Circuit: include short sprints, push ups, pull ups, shoulder press, squats, kettlebells, tripcep dips, sit ups, hanging leg raise, sit ups etc. (try 3 exercises, 10 reps of each for 10 minutes, then another 3 exercises, 10 reps of each for ten minutes, steady workload)
    W - Gym sesh: do whatever the hell you want, enjoy this one, get gunzzz if you feel like it.
    T - Rest
    F - Sprints or some other high intensity training: Think sprint followed by rest of 20/30 seconds, repeat 10 times.
    S - Short run, fast pace
    S - Rest.

Honestly, that's what I'd recommend. Don't try killing yourself, take everything steady. On your circuits, focus of form rather than speed. You'll get beasted in basic anyway, no pointing in starting the beasting early!

Back to the asthma. You can nevvvvver let the army know you had it, you just won't get in!
    Last edited by gibedepusib0ss; 9 July 2014, 09:03.

Comment

Comment

we have an App for your smartphone you might find helpful:

British Army Fitness App

i know a couple of Army Reserve lads who use it and say it's a bit cheezy but decent.

and we have a good interactive site here that provides fitness info and shows useful exercises and guides to make sure you are doing them right:

getting 'Army Fit'

different armies have different fitness and medical entry standards.

good luck.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Sports. Take up a sport and you'll be much more likely to be fit enough mentally and physically for the Army to want you and to go on to thrive within it.

Doesn't have to be GAA or Rugby, there are guys in the PDF that are into climbing/Kayaking/Triathlon, all manner of sports, find one that works for you and you'll find yourself being fit enough and also having access to vital knowledge about injury prevention etc.
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

It's all about practical exercise you know, Napp's example is excellent. To show the other side and how much of a balls I made of it, I decided in March to get fit, went to a friend personal trainer, got body fat done, bmi, all that jazz. Healthy dieting last 4 months, specific number of carbs, fats, protein and calories a day, gym 4 times a week: Shoulders/Triceps, Chest/Biceps, Legs/Abs and Back. Dropped to 14% body fat and going until I hit 10%. Only problem is when I went out for a run, I realised I couldn't do that much at all. I was fit, but in a way completely unhelpful to what I actually am doing. If I could go back I would make sure to include specific cardio only days which is what I am doing now. Alternating between steady runs and sprints every second day.

I think my best advice would be, as Napp said, practical-cardio and callisthenics. Simple as. Alternate running types from steady to sprints and get in the push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, dips, etc. Any kind of bodyweight exercises you enjoy, throw into a circuit and do one day. I think that would leave you in the perfect position for the army.

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                Sports. Take up a sport and you'll be much more likely to be fit enough mentally and physically for the Army to want you and to go on to thrive within it.

Doesn't have to be GAA or Rugby, there are guys in the PDF that are into climbing/Kayaking/Triathlon, all manner of sports, find one that works for you and you'll find yourself being fit enough and also having access to vital knowledge about injury prevention etc.
                Agree. Also if a team based sport, this always looks good when mentioned in the interview (ability to function as part of a team, etc etc)
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                X